Google map navigation doesn't look right - discover media navigation system plus

coopso

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Per the title - when I use google maps via my Android Auto, the route I'm to follow is very unclear. The youtube etc I've seen make it look like the road I'm to follow is clearly highlighted but on my head unit (discover media navigation system plus) the road looks like all the others. Hope this makes sense?

Anyone else had this issue? Also and related, I haven't seen yet how to update the firmware for the head unit or where to find/check the latest version, can anyone help with that?

Just to be clear, I am about to update the nav database - what I'm asking here is how to update the HU firmware, and about how google map nav appears via Android Auto. Thanks!

20210308_191450 current HU firmware.jpg

We have a 2019 Skoda Karoq (don’t laugh at the back, it’s very cheap and utterly competent), and it has Apple and Android integration.
I use it with up to date Android and Apple phones, and have noticed a couple of times that on the Android phone, Google Maps doesn’t always work properly, and have seen the symptoms you describe. Generally it is fixed by re-booting the phone.
Hope this helps.

Pete

The Skoda of today and the Skoda of yesteryear are very different beasts! They really pulled their socks up but the brand name still struggles

Our Skoda Karoq is pants. First and last for us. 1.5TSI manual. Google Kangarooing Skodas, you'll see why.

Our Skoda Karoq is pants. First and last for us. 1.5TSI manual. Google Kangarooing Skodas, you'll see why.

Yes, that VAG 1.5 petrol engine seemingly has that reputation in every car it is fitted in.

Pete

Well phone has been rebooted by now of course, and Google maps nav via Android auto is still not looking right to me. It is not highlighting the road I'm supposed to follow (directions are there but road is not highlighted). 20210309_182458.jpg

Last edited:
That’s what mine looked this morning - no highlighting of the road to take, but instructions in green. Fixed by re-booting the phone.
Is your Android phone fully up-to-date and fully supported ?
Mine is a Pixel 3a

Could you try someone else’s phone ?

Pete

I had the same issue today with my phone. I don't have discover media so use Android auto just through the phone. The route wasn't showing in Google maps just as you have described. I uninstalled Android Auto then it worked fine when I used Google maps. I hear there are a few snags with Android auto at present.

That’s what mine looked this morning - no highlighting of the road to take, but instructions in green. Fixed by re-booting the phone.
Is your Android phone fully up-to-date and fully supported ?
Mine is a Pixel 3a

Could you try someone else’s phone ?

Pete
Thanks Pete. Mine is a Samsung S10 Edge on latest Android 10 firmware, all up to date. The Android Auto on my phone is a system app so cannot be uninstalled, has been updated to Feb 21, 2021 version.

On the head unit update topic, I connected to my phone's internet hotspot and tried updating : Menu button > System Information > Online Download ..... I got an error "Service unavailable".
20210309_192717.jpg 20210309_192707.jpg
If I try the other option "Update software" it seems to check for an update on an SD and finding none, says no data available.
20210309_192719.jpg

I also tried Car Net, but get an error Car-Net (online services) currently unavailable. On clicking the registration option it says I am already registered.
20210309_192643.jpg20210309_192630.jpg

Confused! :rolleyes:

Back