How to access the fuses for dashcam hardwire?

Teejay1

T6 Pro
I would like to hardware the dashcam front only at the mo, probably using my existing 402G. Considering the Thinkware 770 model or the 412G as an "upgrade".

Anyway, I understand that there are several options for fuse locations in a California. Under the control panel (thanks @Loz) although still not that happy screwing around there. Run the wire around windscreen. over the dash and down to under the passenger seat or fuses somewhere in the cab behind the drinks holder?

How do I access the fuses behind in the centre of the cab?

I'm trying to find which is the easiest for a novice. I'm not that confident with this kind of stuff so would appreciate some guidance. I have no trim tools so any suggestions for these would be greatly received too.

If it proves to much agro then I will find a local auto-electrician! Is there a dummies/idiots guide anywhere.

This is not my area of expertise so if you have nothing constructive to add would you mind keeping it to yourself ;)

TIA

...message ends...

Sorry @Teejay1 but this is a question. Where are you going to position the dash cam as this affected by where a constant feed is located should you wish to use it whilst parked as a monitor ? Also VW do a Kenwood in their accessories brochure but I haven't researched it.

I was just going to plug mine in the Lighter plug holder :confused:
I do that at the mo but I'd rather have it permanently wired fit and forget. The kit for the Nextbase is only about £15 last time I looked. The Thinkware has a parking mode that may be handy too.

I'd love to just tackle it but I have knowledge or more important the patience.

:)

Sorry @Teejay1 but this is a question. She'd are you going to position the dash cam as this affects where a constant feed is located should you wish to use it whilst parked as a monitor. Also VW do a Kenwood in their accessories brochure but I haven't researched it.

Currently its just left of the rear view and was either going to leave it there or turn it upside down and place it low on the dash. I had a solution in my Volvo since it had a central 12V socket that never got used. Cable fed from the unit along windscreen, down the seal in the door to the foot well then along the central tunnel to the 12V. If you can picture that.

Your dash fusebox is located under stereo, behind lower drinks bottle holder.
Open the drink bottle holder and you will see two black plastic tab at the rear, pinch these together (can be quite stiff) and the whole bottle holder assembly will come forwards and up and can be moved out the way to reveal the fusebox.
The centre of the three vertical rows is ignition switched so you can get a piggy back fuseholder to easily tap into it, something like this
Add A Circuit Fuse Tap Piggy-Back Micro Fuse Holder APS ATT 63HW | eBay
Note it will need to be a mini fuseholder not regular size

Open the drink bottle holder and you will see two black plastic tab at the rear, pinch these together (can be quite stiff) and the whole bottle holder assembly will come forwards and up and can be moved out the way to reveal the fusebox.
The centre of the three vertical rows is ignition switched so you can get a piggy back fuseholder to easily tap into it, something like this

Aha, just what I needed, thanks Pauly.

I have the same issue, in that both of my lighter sockets are permanent 12v supplies so the camera stays on all the time. What I want is it wired up to the ignition. As it has an integral battery and motion sensor it turns on and records when it senses movement and the ignition is off anyway. All it means is that I have a chance of seeing someone doing something naughty when the van is parked up, rather than what I currently have which is that the files are constantly overwritten so only the last 3 hours or so are captured. So if some butthole has messed with the van in the middle of the night and I then find it in the morning - there is no way it'll still be on the footage of the memory card.

What unit is it and what card are you running
My unit says 64GB max so i put a 128 in and it worked then replaced it with a 200 ish something and that works too, it keeps about a weeks worth of live driving footage and night time motion sensor recording etc
May be worth trying a larger card

It's a gen 10 micro SD. Defo interesting that the camera will take a bigger card than it tells you is the absolute biggest you can. Will look into that one, cheers.
going to go for your original suggestion first though, and locate the ignition fuse and then biggy back off it. Cheers @Pauly

Final have the time to get this fitted. The kit I have comes with mini and standard. rather than wait longer for a micro tap, does anyone know if there is a suitable standard/mini I could feed off in the centre fuse box?

TVM

Teejay

Why not take the supply from the overhead control unit supply?

Back