How Hard Is It To Convert To A Tailgate?

Ann Sutcliffe

Hi, wonder if you can advise how hard it is to convert barn doors to a tailgate. The van is already converted .. by Bodan's in Shrewsbury. Stupidly we didn't realise how hard it would be to find a bike rack with barn doors so exploring changing - we are not DIY people so would need to pay someone to do it.
Thanks for any help

Hi, wonder if you can advise how hard it is to convert barn doors to a tailgate. The van is already converted .. by Bodan's in Shrewsbury. Stupidly we didn't realise how hard it would be to find a bike rack with barn doors so exploring changing - we are not DIY people so would need to pay someone to do it.
Thanks for any help
It would be easier to go for a towbar rack?

Thanks for any help

How many bikes do you want to carry ?
Pete

How many bikes do you want to carry ?
Pete
Hi - sorry for delay in replying - we want to take 2 bikes, (1 is a pretty heavy ebike), and we have researched all the towbar options capable of carrying that weight - and none of the "tippable" towbar options allow the barn doors to open more than about 9 inches wide - meaning that we would have to unload the bikes every time we wanted to get into the back... hence question about how hard it would be to convert to a tailgate from barn doors - and also if you know anyone competent to do it (we are not!).
We are also considering buying a small box trailer for the bikes and other stuff ...

It would be easier to go for a towbar rack?
Thanks, yes we have looked into that but none of the towbar bike racks tip far enough back to allow the barn doors to open more than about 9 inches wide - meaning we would have to unload the bikes every time we wanted to access the back... there is one that pulls back and then tips - but it won't take a heavy e bike. Thanks anyway...

Look at the Altera Strada DL here: Simple Question On Bike Racks

It will carry 45kg of bikes.

We are between Wolverhampton and Telford, so you are welcome to come and have a look (that's our van in the picture).

Pete

Hi,

I've got a tailgate van with the genuine VW rack, and you can't really open that with bikes on at all, so you'd be no better off in that respect. I have opened it slightly to get at the gas bottle with one bike on it, but that was one light alloy bike, not anything heavy.

Is it possible to convert my Barn Doors to a tailgate... if so is it a big job, and how would it be done?

thanks in advance

It really isn't hard to do if you know what you're doing. Hopefully the posts I made in this thread will help.

---> Barn-door To Tailgate Conversion

The key to my conversion was buying a rear lid, bumper, lights and in fill panels all in the right colour. It certainly transforms a van into something much nicer to tour round in.
The mechanical swap is easy but many are put off with the wiring and coding. Its actually quite simple but just takes time/effort. If you're paying someone to do it all and wire in the wiper, heated screen and add the screen wash pump, it really won't be cheap or worth it. It's a DIY job.

Good morning! I’m new to this forum but have owned my T6 camper for 5 years. I’m considering doing a tailgate conversation. Has anyone done this? What’s the total cost going to be?

Big thread here:

It really isn't hard to do if you know what you're doing. Hopefully the posts I made in this thread will help.

---> Barn-door To Tailgate Conversion

The key to my conversion was buying a rear lid, bumper, lights and in fill panels all in the right colour. It certainly transforms a van into something much nicer to tour round in.
The mechanical swap is easy but many are put off with the wiring and coding. Its actually quite simple but just takes time/effort. If you're paying someone to do it all and wire in the wiper, heated screen and add the screen wash pump, it really won't be cheap or worth it. It's a DIY job.
thanks for that, I'm sure I could fit the door no problem, I would have to pay someone to do the electrics. Im on the lookout for the parts

Hi,

I've got a tailgate van with the genuine VW rack, and you can't really open that with bikes on at all, so you'd be no better off in that respect. I have opened it slightly to get at the gas bottle with one bike on it, but that was one light alloy bike, not anything heavy.
I upgraded the tailgate gas structs, from Transporter HQ, and can lift the tailgate with two heavy mountain bikes on the rack, and it stays up.

I upgraded the tailgate gas structs, from Transporter HQ, and can lift the tailgate with two heavy mountain bikes on the rack, and it stays up.
Hi,

I have a tow bar bike rack that tilts so I can open the tailgate. I carry 4 bikes so tailgate bike racks not an option

I have a tow bar bike rack that tilts so I can open the tailgate. I carry 4 bikes so tailgate bike racks not an option
The VW tailgate rack can hold 4, but I didn’t gel with it so got a tow bar mount. Went for the Thule Velospace XT3 with the extra bike rail which holds 4 in total.

Last edited:
The VW tailgate rack can hold 4, but I didn’t gel with it so got a tow bar mount too. Went for the Thule Velospace XT3 with the extra bike rail which holds 4 in total.
Yeh, don’t fancy carrying 4 bikes on a tailgate it’s a lot of weight…. 2 of which are quite heavy. Lifting bike that high is a task itself. Toe bar bike rack is much better option.

Back