Which bike rack is the best / most stable to carry a couple of heavy eBikes?

Gwyn

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Which bike rack is the best / most stable to carry a couple of heavy eBikes ?

Either on tailgate or towbar

We have an OEM tailgate rack which we use for carrying 3 bikes - love the convenience of it always being on and the stability of the bikes when carried - think it’s rated for 4 bikes up to a total of 60kg. However, with heavier eBikes you might be better off with a tow bar mounted rack to avoid having to deadlift the weight.

You will find a lot of info on specific models via the search facility - just put “bike rack” into the search and loads of different threads are there.

As @ Davenjo …. we use VW tailgate bike rack.
Very secure and useful bit of kit when at campsites to hang towels, wet stuff, bag shower etc etc.

If your e Bikes have detachable battery packs then lifting them onto rack will be a bit easier, but you do have to lift back up on on!
Tow bar back may be better.
Prices similar I think.

Just concerned about how stable the towbar mounted racks are.
Do they just clamp on to the tow ball ?

We have the VW T6 tailgate bike rack. It's done a good job carrying our bikes over 30,000 miles now. Looking at the fittings, I think it's made for VW by Thule. It is 60 Kg max capacity and this year we have 2 ebikes on board which total 44Kg with no batteries.

No problem driving and it's very secure. Our biggest issue is not being able to get into the rear when we don't want to use the bikes; e.g. wild camping, one night stays, etc. So we are now looking at a towbar mounted racks that can be slid back and/or tilted so we can open the tailgate without removing the bikes; e.g. Thule, Altera, etc. This will also make loading and unloading of the ebikes much easier too.

Just concerned about how stable the towbar mounted racks are.
Do they just clamp on to the tow ball ?

They are absolutely solid, I’ve got an Altera Strada had 3 mountain bikes strapped on and furthest traveled, Bordeaux, lots of fast toll roads. Also you can still open the tailgate with the bikes attached. top investment:thumbsup:

They are absolutely solid, I’ve got an Altera Strada had 3 mountain bikes strapped on and furthest traveled, Bordeaux, lots of fast toll roads. Also you can still open the tailgate with the bikes attached. top investment:thumbsup:

@Gwyn ,as above, we did several 500km days on motorways and it didn’t move one bit, very stable and confidence inspiring, plus you can open the tailgate and remove it in a few minutes.

Another vote for the Altera Strada - carried 3 bikes on tow bar many times no issues. Got this after researching on here because I have a tailgate & wanted to be able to open it with the bikes still on the rack if necessary - this was the only one that fitted the bill. Not the cheapest but worth the investment.

Was just about to order the Atera Strada DL3 and checked the spec sheet (roofbox company website) it recommends that you carry only 1 eBikes

A3C3329C-7F37-4F0D-B447-9DC658BA410A.jpeg

Does anyone have the Strada EVO3 ? Do you know if this is suitable / will slide out far enough for a tailgate
TIA

Does anyone have the Strada EVO3 ? Do you know if this is suitable / will slide out far enough for a tailgate

I would also like to know that too. There is also the
Atera STRADA Sport M 2 to 3 bike carrier
that takes 2 / 3 ebikes.

furthest traveled, Bordeaux, lots of fast toll roads

we did several 500km days on motorways and it didn’t move one bit

Anyone used a tow bar mounted carrier on rough roads? Motorways and toll roads a usually good roads. Its the likes of the normal roads in Italy and Morocco that would concern me.

Also, anyone got a reversing CAMERA with a tow bar mounted carrier? Can you still see anything though the bikes?

Cheers.

Anyone used a tow bar mounted carrier on rough roads? Motorways and toll roads a usually good roads. Its the likes of the normal roads in Italy and Morocco that would concern me.

Also, anyone got a reversing CAMERA with a tow bar mounted carrier? Can you still see anything though the bikes?

Cheers.

I really wouldn’t worry, we have been on all types of road and whilst I did worry initially I just chuck it on and forget it now, the bikes hardly move even on the roughest roads.

I was sceptical at first, I thought how can the rack clamp on a round ball and be secure, it does and is. (Obviously the ball has to be clean, a wipe with a rag and an alcohol wipe if it’s been greased is all that’s needed)

I use a Fianma Pro rack. Very solid and takes up less room than a VW one as it’s for 2 bikes only. It’s had 2 EMTBs on it, though normally it’s just one and a kids bike. As commented before, they’re heavy bikes (22kg mine) and even with the battery off I find it quite a struggle getting them up there as I wasn’t the strongest person to begin with, and arm and back injuries coupled with racing towards 60 are not doing me any favours. I can see a point before too long when I can’t lift them that high and for that reason I can see a tow bar rack being much better, though much more expensive as I don’t have a tow bar at the moment. Would also mean I couldn’t get the van in the garage without taking it off.
As regards the reversing camera, I originally had a 360 camera system which works better the higher up the camera, so my rear camera was inside the rear window at the top angled down, which worked great until the rack blocked it. I’ve now fitted a (non factory) one in the number plate recess so if a tow bar rack blocked your view you could always do the reverse.

I have an altera strada DL3 towbar mounted rack and really rate it, there’s lots of info on here if you search.
Hi, our camper has barn doors. Do you happen to know if the Altera Strada tips far enough back to allow the barn doors to open?

Was just about to order the Atera Strada DL3 and checked the spec sheet (roofbox company website) it recommends that you carry only 1 eBikes

View attachment 52521

TIA
Hi, we have barn doors - do you know if the Altera Strada will slide back far enough to let the barn doors open?

Hi, our camper has barn doors. Do you happen to know if the Altera Strada tips far enough back to allow the barn doors to open?

I don’t know how it will work with Barn doors but the guys at the roof box company were really knowledge when I asked about how it cleared a tailgate.

the other option if you are close to Southampton is come and try mine.

Back