Hi @Bentley T6 - can I ask did you go with a HiLo Sport in the end and how has it been? I’m in the same predicament as you 8 months later...

Hi @BigSGC

Thanks for your post, yes I’ve had mine fitted and I’m fairly happy with it in terms of the external aesthetic and the fact it’s a sizeable space once up. All I would say is research the fitter thoroughly. Ask loads of questions and ask on here for peoples experiences. Don’t feel like you are being a pain as it’s your van that’s about to be cut open.
My experience was not a smooth one and all in all had 4no. Companies involved to sort all the issues but it’s sorted now albeit a few cosmetic issues.

If you want a low (virtually un-noticeable) profile then the HiLo is brilliant. I love the fact it’s not an obvious change to the vans lines but you have that function available when needed.

Good luck, and keep us posted on what you choose to do.

Hi @BigSGC

Thanks for your post, yes I’ve had mine fitted and I’m fairly happy with it in terms of the external aesthetic and the fact it’s a sizeable space once up. All I would say is research the fitter thoroughly. Ask loads of questions and ask on here for peoples experiences. Don’t feel like you are being a pain as it’s your van that’s about to be cut open.
My experience was not a smooth one and all in all had 4no. Companies involved to sort all the issues but it’s sorted now albeit a few cosmetic issues.

If you want a low (virtually un-noticeable) profile then the HiLo is brilliant. I love the fact it’s not an obvious change to the vans lines but you have that function available when needed.

Good luck, and keep us posted on what you choose to do.
Thanks for the update and advice - really appreciated

Feel for you on the Hilow roof I have had issues as well with the moulded blocks showing through and the roof creaking all the time’ cut a long story short vans been back in at Preston last year for a full week and a half was promise a replacement roof and this was not the case a year later my roof is no different, it works but now learnt to live with it, always felt that Lee and Jake has fobbed me off in a way.

I kept quiet about my experiences for the first 7 months, trying to resolve the issues, giving them the chance to come good. When I hit the wall with that I put a post on this forum - Hi Drama Lo Quality Roof - Sinking In The Surf - I waited until I'd exhausted all direct options.

I'm still going through legal processes to try to get something done but if I'd kept quiet about my treatment until I get a resolution other folk would go in without knowing the risks - and that was the original question in this post. There's no point in having a forum if we don't share experiences and learn from each other. In this case HILO have made their (roof) bed and now have to soak in it.

I don't have a spare £5-7k to play with to get the Surf roof taken off, dismantle my bespoke interior (plus the solar panel and interior led roof lights!) and then try another roof. There is also a technical challenge: the aperture is claimed to be larger than any other roof, except perhaps the HILO Sport (HILO have refused to try fitting one, obviously). So that doesn't leave me with much option for changing unless I stumble on a Fairy Godmother and a pumpkin.

I've been addicted to VW vans since my 1970 T2 that I bought for £200 as a student in the late 1980s, and have had lots of misadventures. This is my 4th van. I repaired and fitted a second-hand pop top on my T25, got a Reimo fitted for me on my T5 in 2008 (which was an excellent roof I might add!), and did all the other conversion work on those previous vans. We sold the T5 last autumn after 100,000 wild miles. This was meant to be a stress-free and hands-free way of getting a new van (first new vehicle in my life!). I don't mind making mistakes and putting up with my own stupidity (my wife has even published a book 'celebrating' that!), but I'm not going to pay someone else to make a fool of me...

We're Van People, so no chance of being put off a way of life by one crappy business! We just adapt.

It is also good to hear positive stories and great workmanship out there. I'm glad you can't imagine life without one - let's hope we are allowed out to use them again soon... 5 miles is not really going to cut it (current Scottish lockdown rules!).
Hi .. does anyone fancy creating a messenger or WhatsApp group to discuss this issue and what we can do about it, I paid a lot of money for my conversion and the roof should have been the crowing glory but at the moment all it is doing is devaluing my van.

Hi .. does anyone fancy creating a messenger or WhatsApp group to discuss this issue and what we can do about it, I paid a lot of money for my conversion and the roof should have been the crowing glory but at the moment all it is doing is devaluing my van.
You can have group chats within the messaging system here:

397A08D7-2DE5-46B1-832C-147B34A25397.jpeg

My suggestion would be to put vanity aside and go for a sturdy product like Austops or SCA, or even a side-hinged roof like Bilbos.
From an engineering perspective I cant see how any low-profile roof (essentially just a sheet) can have the torsional rigidity of a conventional three-dimensional poptop moulding ;)

Reactions: CAB
Just out of interest How could any structure give torsional rigidity when it's attached by two hinges at the back and a couple of clips towards the front? Would it not rely on the frame inserted into the hole cut in the roof?

But thats not what I said:
I cant see how any low-profile roof (essentially just a sheet) can have the torsional rigidity of a conventional three-dimensional poptop moulding
My concern was the rigidity of the actual roof panel itself, rather than its contribution to overall rigidity :thumbsup:

But thats not what I said:My concern was the rigidity of the actual roof panel itself, rather than its contribution to overall rigidity :thumbsup:
Far be it from me to defend a HiLo design, but you maybe haven't seen one up close if you're wondering about torsional rigidity and thinking of it as being a flat sheet...

Yes it is a relatively flat GRP panel but I'm guessing that the strength comes from the metal frame and the panel is just riveted on as a lid. The frame is made of right-angled sections, so it probably has a similar 3D structural profile to the 'sturdy' roofs you mention, and when closed fits within the other frame that's been attached to the van body. The struts / hinges are attached to the metal frame, not the GRP panel. Likewise the canvas tent is attached to both frames, not the GRP panel

So technically you're right that a sheet doesn't have much torsional rigidity, but a low profile roof that has an upper frame does (and I am guessing that the Stealth Roof and Sky-low have come up with a similar solution). Overall rigidity of the van lost when the hole is cut has to be compensated by the frame that they attach to the van body, not the GRP panel - those 'sturdy' ones probably don't contribute to the overall rigidity of the vehicle either, as Jollyvan highlights the shortcomings...

As an aside, your 'suggestion' looks a wee bit judgemental about why someone might want a low profile roof, if it's meant as a joke, please help us out by putting the emoji in the right place. There are other reasons that people may have for wanting a low-profile roof. Its not JUST vanity :)

There are other reasons that people may have for wanting a low-profile roof. Its not JUST vanity :)
Point taken, my apologies - no more suggestions. And thanks for the explanation, that does answer my concern.

Last edited by a moderator:
no more suggestions
Suggest away, just be aware that some of us are very vain and thin skinned :)

You have my respect for responding as you have. It's what I like about this forum - we all have different perspectives, but share a common thread of humanity.

We put a HiLo in our T5 back in 2016. They still offered a partial install at that stage which was considerably cheaper but left a significant amount of work for us to complete.

Short answer is, if I could afford it (and they were available in Australia) I would do a HiLo again in a heart beat. It was fantastic, the best part of that van. Everyone focuses on the 'Lo' but forgets the 'Hi' in their name - these roofs are huge, there is so much space.

Never had any leak issues other than small amounts via zips/seams from memory when the roof was up in heavy rain. The product wasn't perfect, there were a few blemishes in the fiberglass roof, but nothing major. I also screwed up and de-gassed a strut and from memory HiLo replaced it for me at no charge.

We put a HiLo in our T5 back in 2016. They still offered a partial install at that stage which was considerably cheaper but left a significant amount of work for us to complete.

Short answer is, if I could afford it (and they were available in Australia) I would do a HiLo again in a heart beat. It was fantastic, the best part of that van. Everyone focuses on the 'Lo' but forgets the 'Hi' in their name - these roofs are huge, there is so much space.

Never had any leak issues other than small amounts via zips/seams from memory when the roof was up in heavy rain. The product wasn't perfect, there were a few blemishes in the fiberglass roof, but nothing major. I also screwed up and de-gassed a strut and from memory HiLo replaced it for me at no charge.
Hi .. if I didn’t have the ongoing problems with my current roof I would be all over this thread with praise.

In my own humble opinion they released the surf too early without enough testing . If they can make my roof fit for purpose or replace it with a Sport then I would be happy.

Unless they do something positive quickly, their over all reputation is going to be ruined and as a consequence a lot of happy campers will end up with a devalued van.

I hope they get things sorted soon .

Just an update on HiLo. I was hoping to have one fitted based on reviews of Xtreme being the guys to go to for the best install.

I contacted Jay this morning and he tells me even they are not selling HiLo anymore due to problems fitting them!

Hope the new Skyline that is due out later this year fills the gap.

Just an update on HiLo. I was hoping to have one fitted based on reviews of Xtreme being the guys to go to for the best install.

I contacted Jay this morning and he tells me even they are not selling HiLo anymore due to problems fitting them!

Hope the new Skyline that is due out later this year fills the gap.

Hi, what is the new Skyline?

I thought the Aurora was the only new Skyline roof?

I can’t make my mind up between an SCA and a Skyline. I want a rear opening one for a rear kitchen.

And actually think that the Jerba is the best option as it’s like an SCA with a slatted bed. But for an LWB. And no one but Jerba makes an LWB roof bed that is slatted. SCA only do one for the SWB.

Keep a lookout, there is a new lower profile one coming......
That would be my first look against HiLo

Hi .. if I didn’t have the ongoing problems with my current roof I would be all over this thread with praise.

In my own humble opinion they released the surf too early without enough testing . If they can make my roof fit for purpose or replace it with a Sport then I would be happy.

Unless they do something positive quickly, their over all reputation is going to be ruined and as a consequence a lot of happy campers will end up with a devalued van.

I hope they get things sorted soon .
I believe the Surf is the one with the most issues and causing the communication problems due to all the problems with that product

As a former engineer I do wonder what level of responsibility is the fitters abd fitters error at play as much as any fault with the actual roof here ?

Back