Hillside Birchover

And by voice behind shelf, do you mean the carpeted area on the hillside?
Yes the carpeted, high level, small shelf at the rear - the back panel of this is held in with a couple of screws- take this out and there is a small void behind.

Reactions: EAN
Is solar wire in yours a single wire that enters van and then splits +/-? I’ve done shed solar before but that was all MC4 connectors

Is solar wire in yours a single wire that enters van and then splits +/-? I’ve done shed solar before but that was all MC4 connectors
Yes - single black cable from the panel that then splits in two.

Do you have a link to diode shade thing I’d need perchance? And can I buy the small wire with 2:1 spade connectors ready made ?

I am pretty Luddite

Do you have a link to diode shade thing I’d need perchance? And can I buy the small wire with 2:1 spade connectors ready made ?

I am pretty Luddite

You may not need the bypass diode. It could be embedded in the panel. Ask the seller for confirmation.

With regards the crimp you’re literally just looking at one of these. Crimp your solar output positive into the terminal, connect it to the CBE fuse panel where I indicated and plug the other wire that you removed back in on the spare terminal.

IMG_0930.png

@Chris1983
The question to ask is whether the panels have any embedded bypass diodes for if the panels are partially shaded or if they are required.
I think after that, a bit of poking about around your van and you are sorted.

Confirmed panels have shading diode built in! Will get poking (oooo errrr).

If I wire as discussed, can I swap out leisure for lifepo and install dc ti dc at later date okay?

Trying to future proof!

Confirmed panels have shading diode built in! Will get poking (oooo errrr).

If I wire as discussed, can I swap out leisure for lifepo and install dc ti dc at later date okay?

Trying to future proof!
Yes, what you are doing with solar won’t affect your later plans.

Ordered piggy back spade connector and grommet.

What wire would I need to ground? What connectors?

Presume heavy on silicone in any drilled holes?!

Really excited if I can access under shelf void! Game changer that possibly!

Many thanks again.

Ordered piggy back spade connector and grommet.

What wire would I need to ground? What connectors?

Presume heavy on silicone in any drilled holes?!

Really excited if I can access under shelf void! Game changer that possibly!

Many thanks again.
I’d personally go with 4mm2 red and black cable.
Keep the positive and negative cable sizes the same.
Remember that the piggy back crimp is sized for a particular cable range, the yellow will be fine with 4mm2.
The ground crimp will need to be a ring terminal ideally, same yellow, but with a ring of a suitable diameter for the stud you are attaching to in the off side rear. You’ll have to measure that.
Going heavy on silicone isn’t necessary: I’d maybe use a bit on the rear roof top entry hole, but it depends upon your grommet and how good it is at doing its job. Don’t forget you are outside of the canvas, so it’s not critical.
Use silicone on the roof rails as per the video I linked you to on the other post.

Do I need to introduce a switch between panels and that fused point?
You don’t need to add a switch. You could introduce an isolator if you wanted to be able to disconnect the solar charge, but it isn’t a necessity: Some do and some don’t.

I’d personally go with 4mm2 red and black cable.
Keep the positive and negative cable sizes the same.
Remember that the piggy back crimp is sized for a particular cable range, the yellow will be fine with 4mm2.
The ground crimp will need to be a ring terminal ideally, same yellow, but with a ring of a suitable diameter for the stud you are attaching to in the off side rear. You’ll have to measure that.
Going heavy on silicone isn’t necessary: I’d maybe use a bit on the rear roof top entry hole, but it depends upon your grommet and how good it is at doing its job. Don’t forget you are outside of the canvas, so it’s not critical.
Use silicone on the roof rails as per the video I linked you to on the other post.
Thank you.

Waiting on banwy to confirm if rails they sent are correct or need cutting?!

Thank you all for support

@Chris1983
Yes, but I'd always buy from a source that I know, that specified who the manufacturer of their cable was, so I could trust it.
Personally I use 12v planet.
They aren't the cheapest, but you know what you are getting.

Back