Hello from another new potential T6 owner..

RowLarry

Hello all.
New member based in Sunbury, near SW London here.

Usual story- happy tent campers who now want to take the next step.

Totally unsure whether to buy a base van first, or try and find a used camper at the end of the season this year.

Our nearest converters are Monster Campers in Chertsey, any feedback on them?
Also, anyone else good nearby we should visit?

Any help or advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Larry

Welcome to forum...

Be sure to do your homework on what you want from the van.... that should help you decide if you go pre-built or a base panel van and design it for your own use..

A lot of people take months gathering enough information to make an informed decision.... its a minefield...

Thanks Jason. Wise words.
I’m just split between going for a pre-built compared to sourcing a base van.
Surely if you ask one of the converted to source for you this is in additional cost you incur?
There’s also so little out there at the moment I’d hard to find one to look at!

Conversions are scarce and prices high. Conversation companies have long waiting lists. All Covid related. Best value it deffo build your own. All down to budget obviously.

Conversions are scarce and prices high. Conversation companies have long waiting lists. All Covid related. Best value it deffo build your own. All down to budget obviously.

Yes, I’m aware that now is perhaps the worst time to buy, but we aren’t in any particular rush. It just so happens that I’ve persuaded the wife finally!

I was hoping that there may be a lot of vans on the market this month as September, and a few more campers as the season ends, but I’m not sure now..

Well your right, dont buy now, see what pops up over the winter or source a van and know what you want ready to book into a converter for a spring completion. Could be worse you could be asking in April :eek:

That’s great, thanks.
If you had the choice which way would you do it?
If buying a van first, would you source or let a converter do it for you?
bought and sold a few cars in my time, but vans are new to me..!

Decide on the layout you will likely want and then look for both full campers and panel vans. We have kids so need rear seats with belts. If you don't, then there are much cheaper ways to convert. If just two of you, having both front seats swivel is useful, but will affect furniture choice. Most conversions are fairly similar, with R+R bed, full side furniture and pop top. Ours is the family car, so minimised furniture to keep the space. Take some time to research what you want, and price it up, while keeping an eye out for campers. There was a guy selling his newly converted 69 plate T6 on FBook the other day for your budget, as a week in the rain made him realise it wasn't for them....... He was accepting that he was about to lose a £wad.

Decide on the layout you will likely want and then look for both full campers and panel vans. We have kids so need rear seats with belts. If you don't, then there are much cheaper ways to convert. If just two of you, having both front seats swivel is useful, but will affect furniture choice. Most conversions are fairly similar, with R+R bed, full side furniture and pop top. Ours is the family car, so minimised furniture to keep the space. Take some time to research what you want, and price it up, while keeping an eye out for campers. There was a guy selling his newly converted 69 plate T6 on FBook the other day for your budget, as a week in the rain made him realise it wasn't for them....... He was accepting that he was about to lose a £wad.

Thanks for the response, appreciated.
Have 2 kids so need seats and belts, shame isofix seems to be unavailable for these.
The standard layout (roof, bed, side furniture) is fine, this would be in addition to the family car. What’s the difference between a RIB and Rock and Roll bed by the way?!
I’ll do as you suggest regarding vans- saw a perfect one on the vw website and it had already gone..

RIB is a RnR bed, though the term normally applies to the cheaper ones. We've just fitted a 130 RIB (which has isofix). We went for the sliding RIB to gain 200mm of fore/aft movement.
Adding a kitchen pod with big fridge and double burner hob/sink and then will DIY a storage box for the rear drivers side, which makes the bed full width for the 'head half'. This means we can have the youngest in bed with us if necessary. Gas will be in that bench, with water either behind drivers seat or under the RIB. The single front passenger seat swivels and there are two tables - one for rear seat, one for front passenger.
This set up lacks storage space, but furniture takes up space. Bags can be moved/stored outside.
Evo Motion slim furniture/kitchen You'll find that a lot of convertors use Evo Motion furniture.
RIB Seat/bed - comes with fitting kit from here. I DIY'd it and I'm no engineer/mechanic.
Lining and windows etc can be done to various levels by any convertor.
Young kids love a Pop top - like a modern vagrant's playpen :p

Maybe once you know what spec base van roughly you want, leave your details at various dealers... vw and large independents.. then at least you'll be contacted when they get one in...

With the current demand, they're flying off the forecourts within a couple of days of them going up for sale... be at the front of the queue... ;)

Hello all.
New member based in Sunbury, near SW London here.

Usual story- happy tent campers who now want to take the next step.

Totally unsure whether to buy a base van first, or try and find a used camper at the end of the season this year.

Our nearest converters are Monster Campers in Chertsey, any feedback on them?
Also, anyone else good nearby we should visit?

Any help or advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Larry
Hi - just saw your post and it rang many bells. We, like you, as ‘happy campers’ decided to get a vehicle first. We went for a Shuttle as a bit easier to live with as a ‘car’ than a panel van. Then we went away for a weekend with all our camping kit (but not the tent!) just to try it. Loved it. Took all the seats out and the famous Ikea sofa bed that fits. Camping table and a gas stove. Built in sink?? What’s wrong with a washing up bowl. All I’m saying is it’s easy to think you have to have a £15k + conversion before you can use and enjoy it. You don’t. Just get a vehicle and then taylor it to what you want. Enjoy

Visited a conversion company today, very interesting.
The salesman echoed what most people have been saying - 10-12 week lead time for conversion, shortage of parts, other companies charging a premium(!) etc.

What was interesting was that he said that he could source a van cheaper than I could from VW commercial vehicles; and that the 'all-in' charge for a conversion is £22.75K, including new upholstery, choice of finishes, flooring, carpet etc.

I was determined not to be impressed by what they showed us, but I was (apart from the price!).

Does this sound right to people? We want a fairly standard Roof+Bed package, but the combined cost of a Van (T6, 18/19 plate. Highline @£24K and conversion (£23K) plus extras such as a diesel heater, bike rack etc is looking like near £50K! Surely that's used California money? I'm very confused.

Sounds excessive to me. Couple available here that look half decent. Early T6, so probably EU5 engine, no AdBlue etc. Not sure what the pop top is etc, but you may want to spend less on a first van. Young kids will quickly take the gloss off a posh new conversion.....
I got a few quotes in July. Typical costs below. Add cost of a pop top and it's still well below £15K
Screenshot 2020-09-02 at 17.14.42.png

Last edited:
The price of the conversion seems on the heavy side...

Mine was around 2k less with loads of extras which included an off grid set up.. 2 x leisure batteries, 250 solar watt panel... ebasparcher heater, bespoke leather upholstery, karndean flooring...ext bbq point etc...

I think convertors have the upper hand at the moment and can just add a bit more on... its being driven by the demand...

You need to decide if your willing and able to do any work yourself first. This question is very important for future plans.
You cant buy a van until you know your conversion costs and you wont know that until you do your planning.
You really need to work backwards or your budget will go tits up. Budget and planning will affect what van you want and its basic spec, price.

It's quite difficult to help until you make some basic decisions and the family approve your plans. Poor communication with the wife will cost you money

Reactions: CAB
Hi - just saw your post and it rang many bells. We, like you, as ‘happy campers’ decided to get a vehicle first. We went for a Shuttle as a bit easier to live with as a ‘car’ than a panel van. Then we went away for a weekend with all our camping kit (but not the tent!) just to try it. Loved it. Took all the seats out and the famous Ikea sofa bed that fits. Camping table and a gas stove. Built in sink?? What’s wrong with a washing up bowl. All I’m saying is it’s easy to think you have to have a £15k + conversion before you can use and enjoy it. You don’t. Just get a vehicle and then taylor it to what you want. Enjoy
Hi Mike I see your Sheffield, I'm only Rotherham.
Totally agree with your comments.
I need my Shuttle to, well Shuttle so we just fold all the seats down and throw in an air bed. Leisure battery under rear seats and a rear awning. Roof tent and a Beatle convention trailer sleeps two.
20200717_191818.jpg

You need to decide if your willing and able to do any work yourself first. This question is very important for future plans.
You cant buy a van until you know your conversion costs and you wont know that until you do your planning.
You really need to work backwards or your budget will go tits up. Budget and planning will affect what van you want and its basic spec, price.

It's quite difficult to help until you make some basic decisions and the family approve your plans. Poor communication with the wife will cost you money

That's very useful, thanks.

In summary, whilst I'm pretty DIY proficient I'm not that comfortable with doing this scale of work, and the wife and kids want something we can go away in next year! So probably purchase an existing camper or let a company do it all.

My budget was originally £35ish for a 5 year old van - this was my starting point as a friend of mine sold a 54 Plate California for £33K in June.
I thought £20-£22K van, rest for conversion including extras such as diesel heater, solar panel, underfloor gas, bike rack etc.

I know this is probably the worst time to buy/convert in recent years, so will have to pay a premium or rethink. I just can't believe a conversion costing £45K+ will be worth anything like that in a year or two.

Back