Hello from another new potential T6 owner..

Thanks for the info, @boxelder, very informative. The quote I got today does seem excessive, even including London weighting!

I wish there were a few vans about closer to me.. those look ideal apart from they are 4 hours away; and the wife has decreed we can have any colour apart from White... sorry!

The price of the conversion seems on the heavy side...

Mine was around 2k less with loads of extras which included an off grid set up.. 2 x leisure batteries, 250 solar watt panel... ebasparcher heater, bespoke leather upholstery, karndean flooring...ext bbq point etc...

I think convertors have the upper hand at the moment and can just add a bit more on... its being driven by the demand...

Who did yours Jason if you don't mind me asking?

The rate of depreciation will again be driven by demand... a good base van with a quality conversion will hold its value better than a poor spec base van with a cheap shoddy conversion.. as a general guide the rate of depreciation in my opinion of a decent camper is around 2.5k per year... but this figure is subjective and many factors could affect it.

Totally agree, another important factor is how long you intend to keep the camper ?
If it's only a few years I think the depreciation will be a killer with a premium conversion. Their are things you do need like the poptop which make the van a camper and buyers want. However do buyers care if your 20k units look the same as someone else's 10k units?.

The rate of depreciation will again be driven by demand... a good base van with a quality conversion will hold its value better than a poor spec base van with a cheap shoddy conversion.. as a general guide the rate of depreciation in my opinion of a decent camper is around 2.5k per year... but this figure is subjective and many factors could affect it.

That I think sounds about right. Do you think that a 150PS Highline which is obviously a premium van will hold it's value better than a 102PS Highline for instance?

Totally agree, another important factor is how long you intend to keep the camper ?
If it's only a few years I think the depreciation will be a killer with a premium conversion. Their are things you do need like the poptop which make the van a camper and buyers want. However do buyers care if your 20k units look the same as someone else's 10k units?.

I would hope we would keep it for 4 or 5 years, circumstances permitting. But I think if we caught the bug we would want a newer model (and have more idea of what we are doing!) so it'd be likely to be traded in against something else.. I've heard some horrible private sales tales, and I value my time.

That I think sounds about right. Do you think that a 150PS Highline which is obviously a premium van will hold it's value better than a 102PS Highline for instance?

Its a personal choice but in my opinion yes, more likely.. as I would say a larger percentage of buyers would prefer a 150 over the 102 5speed version which has known weaknesses...

Hi Mike I see your Sheffield, I'm only Rotherham.
Totally agree with your comments.
I need my Shuttle to, well Shuttle so we just fold all the seats down and throw in an air bed. Leisure battery under rear seats and a rear awning. Roof tent and a Beatle convention trailer sleeps two.
View attachment 83720
Hi - nice rig you’ve got there. Love the trailer! Interesting you went for the roof tent - I was looking at those. I really like them but better half - she’s not sure.

But we both really like the Shuttle. TBH up to 4 weeks ago I was buying an estate car! Was looking at an A4 for £23k - great car - but then I suddenly felt - it’s just another car - what am I doing. She felt the same and we started looking at ‘stuff more interesting’ and ended up at the Shuttle. I’ve always loved a ‘van’ and think they’re so fun and have no regrets. This is my only transport - she has a city car but basically this is the main vehicle. So the Shuttle can be van, MPV and camper all in one. That’s why, at this stage, I’m not rushing to convert. Loving it as is. I am doing swivel seats and a leisure battery but that’ll be it till the new year.

25468F94-B7FC-4DD9-B03E-208189AE06FB.jpeg

11D68794-D08D-48E1-A6E3-F944A26F506C.jpeg

Its a personal choice but in my opinion yes, more likely.. as I would say a larger percentage of buyers would prefer a 150 over the 102 5speed version which has known weaknesses...
I agree on this. Good spec without throwing vw option list at it, that's money you will never get back. 150 engine T30 or T32 for carrying the conversion around.

I need my Shuttle to, well Shuttle so we just fold all the seats down and throw in an air bed.
Hi Blitz. When you say you just fold the seats down and throw on and air bed, do you put a board or anything else over the seats to bridge the gap between the rows and add length? Or is it literally a just sturdy airbed rested over the folded down seats?

Best of luck with your search. We were in the same boat as you a couple of years ago quite capable of doing the job ourselves but I knew the finish wouldn’t have been quite what I wanted and we were only doing it once so we opted to have one converted. After me finally convincing the hubby it was what was going to change our lives. Which I can honestly say it has, its amazing.

We found a small 2 man operation near where we live after looking at and visiting 12 other places.

I personally wanted to spec it out to exactly what I wanted roof type, bed choice, colours, accessories, worktop material, blinds not curtains the choices were endless and the only thing stopping me with our converters Nigel and Mark from Kicking Kampers was space and my imagination.

They did a phenomenal job, we brought a van pre registered with 7 miles that took a chunk off the price to begin with and obviously from that your converters have a set price and deviations cost from that. We ended up with a unit much cheaper than a vw manufactured unit with far more accessories and functionality and haven’t looked back since.

My main advice would be to look at as many vans as you can before you start your build as the options are mind blowing. Our personal choice for a smaller converter rather than the larger quicker ones was just for the personal touch, we got pictures at ever stage, we could go see it any time we liked, they explained everything so thoroughly we felt part of the build without even needing to pick up a screwdriver. An amazing experience and I can honestly say we haven’t had a fault with any part of the van and love it. However not so lucky with driveaways but that’s a separate thread.

Happy hunting and Happy travelling. I wish you the best of luck and I’m kind of jealous, as the whole choice although might seem daunting, with so many options was one of my favourite parts of owning our 1st VW child.

Back