Heater outlet quandary

3crispies

Classic Vws
T6 Guru
Looking at fitting on rear panel on seat base the heater outlet but both supplied and various suppliers all seem to do similar.
Would like to keep these panels but only alternative position on drivers base is forward of handbrake on the side.....

20211113_133332.jpg

20211113_133323.jpg

Split the outlet and use 2 smaller vents to fit in there? Or find a rectangular one ( haven't seen any for a while though ).

We had the heater outlet fitted to this panel on our T5.1. Doesn't appear to be very different though.
Not sure exactly what's under the seat though (would have to remove the swivel to see inside). The outer collar is held by a couple of standoffs but is still within the recess. Here's a couple of photos
IMG_20211113_145505.jpg IMG_20211113_145525.jpg IMG_20211113_145545.jpg

If I was doing this again, I would see if I could angle this a bit towards the passenger side as the vent blows directly into the side of the fridge. If you're going to be really fancy you could fit the vent into a larger tube and mould this into the plastic panel to end up with something that is almost flush to the inner surface.

I only have a 55mm to 45mm reducer and a 55mm Y-in my spares box.
60mm to 40mm reducer - Duct Hose Reducer 60-40mm BUT the heat rating needs checking first - it needs to be rated at at least 135 degrees. If suitable you would need 1 x 60/60/60mm Y-splitter or Tee, 2 x 60 - 40mm reducers and 2 x 40mm vents as you cannot just step down to just one 40mm outlet.
That would all take up more valuable space so I would be inclined to use a rectangular vent that sits further in instead of the lash-up using a 60mm round one like above. :)

Our converters fitted the outlet forward of the handbrake, and its another of those things we didn't know to ask about, and would have been peeved had they put it at the back of the seatbase. We find it very useful space for the windscreen cover and the sun canopy.
IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0901.jpg

I only have a 55mm to 45mm reducer and a 55mm Y-in my spares box.
60mm to 40mm reducer - Duct Hose Reducer 60-40mm BUT the heat rating needs checking first - it needs to be rated at at least 135 degrees. If suitable you would need 1 x 60/60/60mm Y-splitter or Tee, 2 x 60 - 40mm reducers and 2 x 40mm vents as you cannot just step down to just one 40mm outlet.
That would all take up more valuable space so I would be inclined to use a rectangular vent that sits further in instead of the lash-up using a 60mm round one like above. :)
Perfect thanks for your explanation, also the fresh air in is in door step due to sucking in warm non exhaust air can we not fit this anywhere out of eye sight ?

Is the heater mounted under the van or under the seat? I assumed that it was under the seat with the outlet vent being placed there.

You can run the duct further back underneath and come out at the base of anything along the side. It doesn't have to be the driver's seat base.
Mine are here ( red arrows point to area where they are in the seat base ) from a heater mounted underneath ( they can go further back than that even ):

z1outlts.png

The drivers step is the best place for that, it is out of the way there and tends to be less likely to be covered with items. You don't notice the inlet if you are using the OEM step liner and duct inlet.

Sorry for jumping on this thread but does anyone know of an outlet that comes out at 90 degrees from the rear of the seat base?? I currently have the OEM webasto one thats on a directional swivel but i feel even with the swivel the brunt of the hot air is still getting directed against the side of my fridge unit and it gets extremely hot, like cant touch hot. I'm highly impressed with the heat these heaters output but at some points i wish i could control the heat and run it at a happy medium rather than full temp.

As above, but not at that price! Try 60mm Air Vent Outlet Auto Heater Duct Warm For Eberspacher Webasto Propex | eBay
But ....... the question is why are you only running it at full 2Kw heat? It will adjust down to 0.9Kw if you are referring to a diesel Webasto 2000.
What?! I never knew this was a thing! How do I go about doing this please? I looked through the manual but couldn't see anything suggesting I could adjust the temp. And yeh I have the stc200

As above, but not at that price! Try 60mm Air Vent Outlet Auto Heater Duct Warm For Eberspacher Webasto Propex | eBay
But ....... the question is why are you only running it at full 2Kw heat? It will adjust down to 0.9Kw if you are referring to a diesel Webasto 2000.
Typical of the catch of Amazon - always look for a better price elsewhere!!
This is what I have but even with that it comes out more at 45 degrees than 90 so still catches the edge of the unit unfortunately.
There is an almost flush version that will direct the airflow at 45 degrees and obviously not stick our so far. And no I didn't say that was the cheapest place to buy, it's just an example.

Back