No air.. Getting at the Night-Heater

AdL

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Having had our van for just a couple of months I turned on the heater for the first time in anger the first time this week. Lots of air blowing noises, a very slight smell of diesel, no warnings or errors shown on the controller - but NO heat. The heater seems to be underneath the floor below the drivers seat. All I can see is a yellow pipe which I presume is supposed to deliver hot air to the cabin. Any idea how to get at the heater? Any clues as to what might be wrong?

Thanks.20230905_171632.jpg

Make sure that you are calling for heat above the ambient temperature = you may need to crank it up full (35/37 degrees ) with the current temperatures.

Thanks - but was early in the morning in the Cairngorms last week - was about 2 degrees C so pretty sure the temperature setting was high enough.

you have to remove the plastic under trays to get to the heater. It would however be worth putting up some pictures of your controller so we can see what system you have. Also the heater should be run monthly to keep it functioning properly.

Do you have an air intake in the drivers footwell step?

Thanks again - here are some more pictures. Having looked underneath I see there is a 6mm bolt hanging out of the tray. So perhaps something has come to bits in there!

20230911_144051 (Medium).jpg20230911_144238 (Medium).jpg20230911_144256 (Medium).jpg20230911_144556 (Medium).jpg20230911_144617 (Medium).jpg

Oh - and by the way - is that footwell light supposed to have a cover on it?

You have a Russian Planar mounted underneath and also a Webasto coolant heater.

You will have to peruse the Planar manuals for hints on faults.

The controller is the PU27 for an Autoterm Planar Heater. It could be that the ducting has come off the heater outlet but you will have to drop a tray to find out.

Yes the light should have a cover.

Oh - intriguing? Two heaters? what is the coolant heater for? Is that something that VW fitted or was it part of the camper conversion? sorry for being dim!

I have the Autoterm manual - fairly incomprehensible but I will give it a go. I will drop the under tray off to see where the bolt came from anyway.

The PU27 controller is fairly basic but if you are not getting any error codes then I would look at the ducting connections first.

Basic is good for me - I want the heater OFF or ON and not much else!

I think so - was sat in the van drinking coffee and playing wordle so probably a good 10 minutes. Anyway I appreciate the advice. I will try again but now at home and the weather is warm so probably need to wait for a cool day.

Have you ever used it before since it was fitted? If not give it half a dozen starts to purge any air from the fuel lines first before you start pulling things apart.
Don't start following blind directions without knowing what is happening.
Set your temperature as high as possible to avoid temp problems.
Listen for and note what you can hear from the heater and any indications on the controller together with timings of the events.
Be methodical and don't just seize on may bes.

We have only had the van for 8 weeks. It was sold to us by a reputable caravan dealer so I guess they tested it. But I have not had the heater running yet. I will get a chance to try again this weekend and will report back.

is that footwell light supposed to have a cover on it?
You’re looking for a Caravelle step-light cover

Oh - intriguing? Two heaters? what is the coolant heater for? Is that something that VW fitted or was it part of the camper conversion? sorry for being dim!
I've not one myself but understand it to be a factory-fitted pre-heater that will last 120mins max.

See

Last edited:
Back