Heater only working at maximum

I've had 2 of these blow on mine both fixed under warranty I think the VW part is about £45-50 . Next time mine blows and I'm sure it will I'll get one of off ebay for about £12 and fit it myself! This is a long standing issue not just with VW vans ! There is a how to video on this thread !

I've had 2 of these blow on mine both fixed under warranty I think the VW part is about £45-50 . Next time mine blows and I'm sure it will I'll get one of off ebay for about £12 and fit it myself! This is a long standing issue not just with VW vans ! There is a how to video on this thread !
Yes, I've watched the video, looks like a doable job, can you advise what you searched for on eBay?

Vauxhall also had the same issue. Please be aware owners were fitting cheap replacement parts (no protection when it does fail) and their cars were going up in flames… The owners were blaming Vauxhall for the fire where if they had replaced the part with the specified one (unfortunately yes more expensive) it would still have failed, but at least they didn’t also get a burnt out vehicle.
The manufacturer of that part should sort their quality control out as mine went after 1000 miles on a 69 plate van.
Lots of manufacturers use the same suppliers so not unique to VW.

Easier to fit on the T5.1 than the T6, did one on my brothers van last week.

87EDF018-202C-4A14-B893-38B2F33E1C98.png

Make sure you get your free gift (above image) with the flea bay ones

E1C2E6F9-1209-4A2E-A3F0-42433B80F142.jpeg

Vauxhall also had the same issue. Please be aware owners were fitting cheap replacement parts (no protection when it does fail) and their cars were going up in flames… The owners were blaming Vauxhall for the fire where if they had replaced the part with the specified one (unfortunately yes more expensive) it would still have failed, but at least they didn’t also get a burnt out vehicle.
The manufacturer of that part should sort their quality control out as mine went after 1000 miles on a 69 plate van.
Lots of manufacturers use the same suppliers so not unique to VW.
Well that's just not good enough and VW should do better!
I wonder if they are using the same part on the T6.1's?

As an aside has anyone oiled the bearing on the fan motor and if so can you advise how to do this as it may be wise to do in any case?

I can see where you are going (increased drag resulting in increase current) but mine was brand new with 1000 miles on the clock. More like the maker of the part is using a batch of faulty components, or the spot welding of the sealed wire connectors are to blame.
Mine has been trouble free for 30,000 miles since.
More likely to be cheap brass bushes fitted to the motor rather than ball raced bearings, not looked though.

I’d like to think we paid enough to get needle roller bearings or Oilite bronze bushes.
If I was doing a job that created access to the fan and it had been in service 5+ years I’d probably strip, clean and lube providing its a serviceable item and not riveted together.

I used an ebay item as well. Was still running fine 18 months later. Don’t think I paid much for it either.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the T5 and the T6 heater blower thermal resistor (although I understand the T5 will fit the T6 it is not the correct one)?
Also can anyone provide the correct part number for the T6 part?
Thanks

Thanks for the part number, can you advise what the difference is to the 'C' T5.1 part?

Last edited:
Several T5.1 Heater Blower Thermal resistors available on the web at reasonable prices (£8 TO £25 or so) have just been quoted £60.40 for the T6,: 7e0959263d (they couldn't tell me what the difference was between the D and the C).

I joined the “blown blower resistor unit” club this morning. Was working fine yesterday, but not so today. A great bunch of posts in the last 8 pages that have aided me in realising this is the issue and where to find the part to replace it, thanks to all that have contributed.
Mine is a 65 plate with 62k miles, so it seems I was lucky that it has lasted so long! I tend to have it tickling over on speed 1 or 2 generally, so sounds as though this is the problem. (now just need to resolve the other faults that have just started lighting up the dash - tpms/traction control/abs - off to search the forum further and see what else is lurking in a dark corner).

Mine went as well either this weekend or last. Still under warranty though so will book it in.

Mines gone as well - for the second time. Failed last September and booked in under warranty but decided to do it myself due to covid precautions. Failed last week so booked in again under warranty. Swapped the fuse unit back to the original in case they claim it was my faulty unit. Hope they swap the blower as well as the fuse.

So as an update on mine. Went to GSF and picked one up today. Just fitted it, no difference :mad:. Going to have to order one off eBay that details it as specific VW to see if that is different. Really annoying as GSF said this was the right part for the van.

Back