Heater only working at maximum

Just changing the resistor pack/thermal fuse and not looking into why it blew it in the first place is a recipe for a repeat burnout.
Have you taken the motor apart and cleaned/lubricated the bearings to ensure they are not the cause of the increased current draw?
See Post #18 in this thread by @Andys though I wouldn't use WD40, it's not a lubricant, use a light oil instead.

Just changing the resistor pack/thermal fuse and not looking into why it blew it in the first place is a recipe for a repeat burnout.
Have you taken the motor apart and cleaned/lubricated the bearings to ensure they are not the cause of the increased current draw?
See Post #18 in this thread by @Andys though I wouldn't use WD40, it's not a lubricant, use a light oil instead.
Just avoid set point 1, I’ve had 3 failures, every time in set point 1.

There's your problem.

There's the solution.
Thank you for this. 20 min job even for me.

Same issue...replaced the resistor pack with one from Travelin Lite on my 2017 204 T6 and all good!!

Similar issue I've noted on the heater though; there's no middle ground on the temp, it's either cool air or as soon as I turn it up to around 20 it gets really warm! Could this be a similar issue to solve?

Thanks!

Same issue...replaced the resistor pack with one from Travelin Lite on my 2017 204 T6 and all good!!

Similar issue I've noted on the heater though; there's no middle ground on the temp, it's either cool air or as soon as I turn it up to around 20 it gets really warm! Could this be a similar issue to solve?

Thanks!
On windscreen settings ours is always on full blast heat. Turning dial to feet or face looks like it gives more adjustment.

View attachment 37807 Gambled on this from eBay works fine, easy DIY fix, remove black plastic cover under glove box. Get your head under. Unplug ,remove two screws, replace. View attachment 37807
I bought this part but found removing old part far more difficult than this suggests … it’s wedged up at the back .. another black plastic section that is bolted on seems to in the way….
edit …..ok I see it is a matter of fiddling around in a tiny area to get at the part .. but mine is so wedged up at the back you can’t even see the plug or wires .. ill give it another try tomorrow ..
but it seems so tight in my van I can’t see removing it or fitting the new one will be without major hassles …

Last edited:
Just changed mine, all working now!

I want some of what VW were smoking when they decided a 5.5mm head was a good idea! And why are the bolts so long!!

B576851F-37E5-41BA-B1C2-586FFA472608.jpeg

Testing out a PWM controller for the blower. Seems to do a pretty good job at 13v 2A (I'd estimate about the stage 1 volume of air by the noise & blowing more at 3A than stage 2 measured as 6A above!). Better efficiency at low speeds makes more sense since it's PWM rather than resistors, but I guess I was expecting more draw than this. As you crank it higher the numbers get closer. Flat out at 13v it's pulling 18A. I'm leaving it running at 3A in the sun for the rest of the day to see how it goes temp wise, but at 3A my aux battery can easily sustain this any time I leave my car in the sun! Pretty happy about that!

PXL_20230225_054717952.jpg

PXL_20230225_054717952.jpg

Last edited:
That's an interesting mod, how does the motor deal with the PWM supply Vs the voltage dropper of the standard resistor? ( Get hot at all?)

Testing out a PWM controller for the blower. Seems to do a pretty good job at 13v 2A (I'd estimate about the stage 1 volume of air by the noise & blowing more at 3A than stage 2 measured as 6A above!). Better efficiency at low speeds makes more sense since it's PWM rather than resistors, but I guess I was expecting more draw than this. As you crank it higher the numbers get closer. Flat out at 13v it's pulling 18A. I'm leaving it running at 3A in the sun for the rest of the day to see how it goes temp wise, but at 3A my aux battery can easily sustain this any time I leave my sun in the car! Pretty happy about that
That's an interesting mod, how does the motor deal with the PWM supply Vs the voltage dropper of the standard resistor? ( Get hot at all?)
It's been running for about 5h now on the bench power supply and the motor is cool to touch. It's just controlled with a pot at the moment but it'll be swapped out for a microcontroller which will be able to turn it on and off automatically triggered by temperature

Has anyone managed to remove this on a kombi with carpet ? I can't get the plug out, but have manged to get both screws out which I thought might buy me some extra wiggle room but I'm unsure as to how the resistor will actually manage to be removed ever with the plug disconnected. I'm losing my fingertips here!

Has anyone managed to remove this on a kombi with carpet ? I can't get the plug out, but have manged to get both screws out which I thought might buy me some extra wiggle room but I'm unsure as to how the resistor will actually manage to be removed ever with the plug disconnected. I'm losing my fingertips here!
I don't have a kombi but everything about the blower including the resistor is an absolute b*****d to get out! My advice is find someone with smaller hands ;)

I remember it seems impossible but there is a certain angle and it comes out easy … sorry it’s been a while since I did mine .. it can be done though I struggled too

Once again, the forum came to my rescue. Same problem as many of you have reported - blowers works on 4, but not 1,2 or 3. Ordered the part from Travelin-lite and twenty minutes later, I got all the blowers working again, the trickiest part was actually detaching the clip.

Anyway, big thanks to all you knowledgeable folks out there, saved me lots of time and hassle, and money of course!

Reactions: CAB
Back