Heater only working at maximum

HHO

T6 Guru
Hi Chaps
Just noticed tonight my heater blower is only working on speed 4. I’ve got the manual Air Con, rather than climate. All other functionality works ok, just nothing blowing out until you select the fan blower at speed setting 4. Anything obvious to check? Any known issues?
Thanks

resistor pack or fuse for resistor/blower heater?

Reactions: HHO
Seems to be becoming a bit of a common issue this one, the fan blower consumes a constant current and if you set it to speeds 1/2/3 then theres a resistor that takes part of the load to slow the fan down
Its separate from the heater/blower control unit so not too major to change, are you still under warranty ?

Just googled this picture, looks like a thermal overload cutout on the tip but not sure what is under the cover, repairable or disposable component ?????

List price is £43 + vat

6e914526-f3f9-4a2f-ae14-0f750fdf83d4.jpg

That looks like the one @Pauly , 4pin including thermal cut-out.

N24 - Fresh air blower series resistor with overheating fuse

fed from -

J301 - Air conditioning system control unit

restive load for blower motor stage 1,2,3 and direct feed for stage 4.

Capture2.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Thanks Guys. Just been Google’ing for the last half hour it certainly looks like that. First MOT next week and warranty until 15th December so looks like a happy ending for this. Is this the same component located under/behind the lower passenger side glove box?

Im not 100% on the exact location but i believe it is in that vicinity

Reactions: HHO
had same problem on my t5 swapped the thermal fuse with one from maplins for less than £2 worked a treat but only after buying the complete unit did I discover this trick:(

had same problem on my t5 swapped the thermal fuse with one from maplins for less than £2 worked a treat but only after buying the complete unit did I discover this trick:(
Can you remember the value of the fuse? I have a feeling this is going to be a regular issue on this forum for the foreseeable future and if it’s the fuse that’s the issue rather than the actual resistor pack, this could be a nice cheap fix for members whose vans are coming out of warranty.

Wow a bit of googling shows it’s been a very common and longstanding Transporter problem for years. The old T5 forum is full of loads of discussions, some finding that replacing the fuse solved the problem, some finding it didn’t and needing a full resistor pack. Other posters pointed out that the thermal fuse is there to pull the power in the case of the motor jamming or stopping working, a very valid point as if that’s the issue then replacing the fuse would just cause it to blow again.

Anyway, a couple of useful videos, again thanks to links in the T5 forum (not transporter specific but it looks like VW use the same kit across all their vehicles, just the access to it would change)

FF221C47-5C5A-41B3-A611-A67B60741144.png Gambled on this from eBay works fine, easy DIY fix, remove black plastic cover under glove box. Get your head under. Unplug ,remove two screws, replace. FF221C47-5C5A-41B3-A611-A67B60741144.png

Back