Heater only working at maximum

Cambelt doesn't need changing but the van is booked in for the blower problem , receptionist said they need to replace both or either the resistor and fan ?
Also looks like they are doing it without charging me as she mentioned it would be under warranty . Fingers crossed

Where would we be without a forum like this , cheers everyone . Once fixed I'm selling mine I've had enough of taking it back .:(

Just noticed that my fan had also stopped working, the local van centre rang me yesterday as its time for my next service. I mentioned the issue with the fan and explained that the blower had stopped working on speeds 1,2 and 3. The service staff said they would book this in and it would be £150.00 for the investigation and they would then call me once they understood the fault. I said that i would have a look first ..

I hope the service staff were not aware of this known fault and were just looking to generate revenue ... i will just buy the part and install it myself.

Does nayone have the OEM part number ? [16 plate]

Mines booked in for the same fault , I mentioned it to vw Wrexham after the recall for the cambelt .
They told me I won't have to pay because it's a known fault with the vans .
I will let you know how I get on , it's due in on the 27th

My warranty was out by about a week but they never mentioned if it was or wasn't .
I told them when I dropped it off that I noticed the heater had a problem and they just booked it in .

Mine failed with about about 4 days of warranty left , took it in for the cambelt recall 2 weeks later and was told no problem and that they would book it in to be fixed .
A further 2 weeks on and i took it in and was charged £481 and told it was out of warranty and that they had to change the resistor and fan I argued that it was only the resistor that needed changing but they insisted it wasn't just that .
Tried explaining about booking the van in earlier but they wouldn't have it also tried getting good will but again turned me down

Just installed the new unit today, all working again .. I did find a spanner in the end 7/32"

T6 Blower .jpg

Thanks for all the info on this post. Mine went on my T6 last week. Took 20 mins to replace. It’s facing the bulkhead on mine. Bit fiddly but doable. Helped me justify a new shallow socket set!

Picked our van up from storage last weekend and found the fan was only working on setting 4 (so resistor had gone) after a few days away I went into the dealers (Cordwallis in Maidenhead) and they fixed it on the spot 20min job and they checked the cam belt mine was OK no replacement required. This is the second time the resistor has gone though the service guy said that was unusual. Good service from them I thought.

This forum is brilliant, my fan has done exactly the same thing . So I thought I would look on here for an answer and bingo there you go. Just need to get the part now.

Picked our van up from storage last weekend and found the fan was only working on setting 4 (so resistor had gone) after a few days away I went into the dealers (Cordwallis in Maidenhead) and they fixed it on the spot 20min job and they checked the cam belt mine was OK no replacement required. This is the second time the resistor has gone though the service guy said that was unusual. Good service from them I thought.

Currently on the third blower resistor pack in less than 40K miles, it’s not so unusual. Regarding VW service managers......., I’d rather talk to the mechanic.

Currently on the third blower resistor pack in less than 40K

Our factory fitted one went after 3 years, the warranty replacement after 1 year.

It is the thermal fuse on the top that goes open circuit. If you know what you are doing you can just replace the thermal fuse.

I replaced two shower room extractor fans that died before I stripped one and found it was a thermal fuse that had gone each time, simple replacement of fuse and I have one spare! ( unfortunately had thrown the previous one away )

Well it’s failed on mine too, a 67 plate @ 9K miles. Pretty crap and a major common problem throughout the VAG group.
I’m in warranty but reading the history of failures, I’ve decide to purchase 5 thermal fuses on line to repair now and as when....

Back