T6 Heated Steering Wheel retrofit

At the Moment I am struggling to find a clock spring. I have just found a way of modify the standard t6 clock spring.
I will show you the control when I have made the clockspring.

What yesr van do you have ?

At the Moment I am struggling to find a clock spring. I have just found a way of modify the standard t6 clock spring.
I will show you the control when I have made the clockspring.

What yesr van do you have ?
Hi thanks for your reply. I have a 2016 T6 highline manual

Hi OK mine are 2016/17. When I have made the slip ring I will post photos
I'd be really interested to see how you do this , I've got a heated wheel too but couldn't figure out how to do this without major modifications , slip ring , stalks etc etc

To honest I have spent hours looking for a clock spring from any of the vag group vehicle
I have come to the conclusion I will have to modify/fabricate the clockspring using the parts from a 'b' part number ring.
If anyone has a cheap standard clockspring off a t6 that had steering wheel buttons I need one for my development work.

Last edited:
Could you modify a Passat ring to fit the T6? Not sure how that would work with the stalks , steering column etc though?

Could you modify a Passat ring to fit the T6? Not sure how that would work with the stalks , steering column etc though?
Hi I have a passat b8 clockspring I think the crafter uses the same setup up, but the transporter is totally different. The t6 has the plug on the back where the passat has the plug on the bottom.

I have upgraded my MFSW to flat bottom with DSG paddle shift few years ago and I didn't think about heated version then.

VAG uses few control/activation methods.
Some heated MFSW use dedicated button on the wheel itself and some others use HVAC controls via infotainment controls.

Interlinking driver seat heating and MFSW has also been done by VW on some of their vehicles(Jetta).

The challenge would be to match combined heating elements resistance to be within acceptable range. Than next thing would be resistance range of thermistor/thermistors. And final and most important, steering angle unit would need to be able to provide extra connections. Two for MFSW heating element and possibly another two for thermistor.

As usual everything is possible it is just a matter of time and money;).
Look what I have discovered on my own MFSW.

Screenshot_20220722-232645_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220722-232704_Gallery.jpg

How come I have missed that before :whistle:
Maybe I got too excited with flat bottom and DSG paddle shift :D

Of the shelf, clock spring doesn't exist, but the investigation and the hunt already begun.

20220723_172037.jpg20220723_171917.jpg20220723_171816.jpg20220723_171803.jpg20220723_171845.jpg

I started to do thus but work commitments took over. I have a passat b8 clock spring I started to modify. I was going to get a 3d printed front ring made with the 2 pin plug.

Are you going to use the thermistor wire or just a 12volt timer?

Depends how I get on with my clock spring modification.
Worst case scenario it will be timed feed directly to MFSW heating element plus trigger from Telestart receiver :cool:

Reactions: mmi
Back