Headlights so dull

@Sherlock99 you can swap out the 501 sidelight bulbs too for a bit of added sparkle in the main H4 lamp reflector, I got some miniature corn on the cob ones from Halfords of all places that are supposed to be 200 lumen each and you could still see their white sparkle above the yellow dinge from the stock H4 halogen lamp on dip, can't see it now as I've swapped out those halogen main/dip H4 bulbs now so all super white illumination facing forward but still treading my way warily as these are no searchlights!:eek:

That's good to know. Thanks for that, I will check them out :)

But that’s just the problem, loads of people on a couple of threads about these saying they make sod all difference unless you fit LED lamps

I have them with standard osram 130% halogen bulbs and they are very definitely better than the oem H4 units. The H4 ones are just plain unsafe.

I have them with standard osram 130% halogen bulbs and they are very definitely better than the oem H4 units. The H4 ones are just plain unsafe.
No experience on the THQ ones myself, just passing on what’s others are saying.
Agreed on the H4s, unless you put LED lamps in them. Mine are fine since I fitted them
4F049B80-3339-416C-AFE6-A4A5CA45BF69.jpeg
C26C166C-D02D-49C2-9065-704777900C4E.jpeg

Wish I had managed to light up a distant white farmhouse in my pictures @andys as that's pretty much the money shot.

The THQ lights look great but it feels from some of the comments on the various threads that the increase in performance over the worst case stock H4 VW headlight is fairly modest, relying on driving with main and dipped beams on at the same time in either the projector or H7 Caravelle is also a bit of a cop out as 90% of the time you're going to be driving on dip.

I think as long as the beam pattern is good enough then an Hid lamp in the dipped projector and an LED in the main beam projector should make these type of after market headlights really sing.

@andy58 try some £19.99 H4 LED lamps/bulbs from Amazon or eBay by way of an experiment but still be prepared for a bit of mucking about, it's never going to be as easy as a straight swap, in my case the sodding lamps have a small fan on the back so I've had to drill holes through the lamp access lids and mount caps over the protrusion (think cricket box here) so the headlight can be revealed.

I'll try and post a link to the LEDs I bought.

Earlier on in this thread, I said that my LED fog lights didn't work as cornering lights anymore. Since changing back from LED dipped beams to halogens, they work again. It seems that when you have LEDs, the van doesn't know when they are on, therefore not knowing to turn the cornering lights on.

Earlier on in this thread, I said that my LED fog lights didn't work as cornering lights anymore. Since changing back from LED dipped beams to halogens, they work again. It seems that when you have LEDs, the van doesn't know when they are on, therefore not knowing to turn the cornering lights on.
My cornering lights work with LEDs

@andy58 must be my age but I can't find the bloddy link to the lamps I bought on Amazon but they're the same generic one's in this ebay link albeit slightly cheaper, result! H4 For Ford Transit MK7 Super White LED VS Xenon HID Main/Dip Light Bulbs Set UK | eBay

Ignore the "these will fit a Transit" bit, they're H4 lamps and will fit into the H4 socket of any H4 based headlight, as they have a fan mounted inline on the back of the lamp you won't be able to put the headlight lamp access dust caps back in place without modifying the caps to allow for the extra 10 mm of sticking outness, it's a ballache but realistically you might easily be underwhelmed with the lamps performance so initially fit them and try them out minus the dust caps, worst case they're not bright enough and you've wasted less than £20, best case you can join the H4 revolution where we prove that the H4 headlight is nearly fit for purpose.

These lamps will bring your lamp out warning sign up :thumbsup: great, and may interfere with the DAB :thumbsup: again they're very white but not daylight blindingly bright, tonight driving home when dusk was falling you didn't get those dull Halogen yellow pools of light in front, where the lights are not strong enough to pick anything out in particular but you know they're working due to the yellow patch on the road, with the LEDs you might see a road sign glow white but the road immediately ahead probably stayed at about the onset of dusk level I would guess.

Stop press and my lovely wife has found the Amazon advert so hopefully... https://www.amazon.co.uk/HIVEHICLE-...xtremely-Start-Replacement/dp/B07QSJY5VT?th=1 they're the ones and identical to the ebay items, pay what you want.

To push beyond the performance of this cheap H4 alternative we could do with one of the lovely chaps with a full factory VW T6 LED headlight system posting an high and low beam picture taken down a dark and lonely cart track to give an idea of how far out these various cheapo and lookalike alternatives actually are, comparing how shite the humble H4 headlight is to the lights on your (any other VW product sporting LED and Hid lamps here) is irrelevant, let's get all altruistic, test empirically and save forum members money and skinned knuckles!... then save up for some VW LED headlights.:oops:

Read the reviews on these dont seem to be that good

All I can say is they work very well, and the extra brightness is exactly what was needed. I could hand on heart recommend them as a worthwhile upgrade to the stock H4s.

Have sorted the lamp/bulb issue so links now work, cleaned the thread so it makes more sense

Back