Headlights not in tune with switch [Resolved]

Octane85

T6 Pro
Just bought a T6 and one of the things I’ve come to find out is that the headlights don’t seem to do what the switch is asking them to.

With the switch set to Auto they work as expected.
However, here’s what happens in other modes:

Switch: Off = lights: full beam
Switch: sidelights = lights: full beam
Switch: headlights = lights: headlights

Any guesses as to what could be going on here?
It’s worth noting that a previous owner has fitted drl’s and also led bulbs.

Just bought a T6 and one of the things I’ve come to find out is that the headlights don’t seem to do what the switch is asking them to.

With the switch set to Auto they work as expected.
However, here’s what happens in other modes:

Switch: Off = lights: full beam
Switch: sidelights = lights: full beam
Switch: headlights = lights: headlights

Any guesses as to what could be going on here?
It’s worth noting that a previous owner has fitted drl’s and also led bulbs.
Presume H4s? The main bulb is also the DRL. So always on if lights not turned on.

Put a few pictures up?

got a pic of the switch and the front lights?

Presumably you have H4 headlights, therefore...

Switch OFF = inner daytime running lights.
Switch SIDE LIGHTS = inner daytime running lights + side lights in the outer lamps.
Switch HEADLIGHTS = inner drls turn off, dipped beam in the outer lamps on.
Main beam stalk forwards = main beam in the outer lamps on.

Last edited:
Reactions: CAB
It is possible that the battery has been disconnected for a while and the coding for the auto headlights has been lost?
Happened on my A4 recently and after buying and fitting a new switch to no effect (and with the power of Google) I looked using VCDS and the auto lights was unchecked.
Ticked the box and back to normal.
If you’ve got VCDS or similar it’s an easy check.

Oh yeah. Sorry, I missed that.

@Octane85 When switched to AUTO, you should get the same results as OFF when it's not dark enough to trigger Auto dipped beam. Is that what happens?

Ok, so here's a lesson for all... never get your wife to tell you what lights are on.
Turns out, she was confusing main beam with DRL because "they are soooo bright".

So, all lights working as they should, although in a brief test earlier, I'm getting the bulb warning light on the dash when putting main beam on - so i need to investigate that later when I'm out of work.

FWIW, I have the H4 lights,

Ok, so here's a lesson for all... never get your wife to tell you what lights are on.
Turns out, she was confusing main beam with DRL because "they are soooo bright".

So, all lights working as they should, although in a brief test earlier, I'm getting the bulb warning light on the dash when putting main beam on - so i need to investigate that later when I'm out of work.

FWIW, I have the H4 lights,
I had a similar thing happen the first time I drive the van. Headlights were so poor that I pulled over to make sure they were on, I didn’t get the wife to confirm but thought there was an issue until I realised just how bad the headlights were. So maybe forgive her the error as when comparing anything to the standard highlights (like a distant star on a cloudy night) it will look bright!

Back