Have I Got Intelligent Split Charge??

Minkey

Hi All,

Ok, I’m doing first fix wiring on my 17 plate Startline Panel Van…

Ready to install an after market intelligent split charge controller and I have just found some hefty live wires under the passenger seat and wondering if I’m already wired for it? (My 07 plate T5 is and came with battery etc already fitted)

There are three hefty permanent live reds. The largest being about 9mm O/D. Then ends are just taped up but bound together under the tape and back feed to the three fuses (Two 20amp and one 15amp) that feed out to Red/White – Red/Blue – Red/Purple. These go back into the loom and under the floor mat. (Images attached below)

Sooo… Knowing how CANBUS awkward the newer vans can be, Can I direct feed an Aux battery from one of these and take it that it is properly intelligent charging without upsetting the start battery and stop/start function etc?? (I know the stop/start will cancel for a bit if the Aux battery is taking a large current to top up)

Any experienced advice would be a great help and may mean I have one of these for sale!!
CTEK D250SA Dual DC-DC Battery to Battery Charger 12V 20AMP

sunpower-100w-flexible-solar-panel-systems-with-ctek-d250sa-20amp-dcdc-charger-a2803-800x800.jpg

20190219_164247.jpg

20190219_170746.jpg

20190219_170959.jpg

The fat red cable is a live from the Ebox in the engine bay (main fusebox from battery) and my guess would be that a towbar has been fitted and the fitter has installed the additional fusebox for the towbar and used the cable to feed this

The three cables from the fuses will go down under floor (along with a few other cables) and run back to the towbar electrics

When you locate your permanent live supply you're still going need to connect it to that Ctek so don't sell it.

Ok, cheers for the quick responses guys. really helpful.

Yes it has a VW factory order towbar and it makes sense now that if these are just direct from the battery, then theres no intelligent relay installed.
Sooo... What it does do is make a smaller wiring job for me as I can feed the ctek from the biggest feed.

Great forum this... I've been on the T4/T5 forum for years and not to knock the knowledge base there, but eveyone seems so keen on here and the responses come thick and fast. :)

You will need to put a 30 amp fuse in place between that red cable and the Ctek as the fuse in the e box is likely to be 80 amps. Same again on the output of the Ctek to the leisure battery.

Hmm I'd better do the same then, mine comes from a 50A fused supply too. Thanks.

Hi gents you've just answered my questions I was about to post, telepathic now you lot eH!
oh I have bluemotion 140 what would be the best charger for the job, solar, 240v and leisure bat.

Back