Has anyone successfully challenged VW's price increase?

@Bav
I wouldn't worry about proving they didn't contact you
Let them prove they did contact you
The reason why I’d trawl: nothing would undermine my position more than them pulling an email or phone call log out, leaving me floundering.

The reason why I’d trawl: nothing would undermine my position more than them pulling an email or phone call log out, leaving me floundering.
horses for courses
but personally I'm a chancer and I would say they hadn't sent notification even if they had if I could save a grand if they produce an email fair cop
phone log won't prove jack

If I asked the dealer if they could provide evidence that they'd given me notice of a price increase (in accordance with their own Ts & Cs), the only possible thing they could produce is a recording of the call they made to say "£1100 - £1300". Ignoring the absence of my consent for such a recording, this would mean I'd be better off by £1k than I am now. If they couldn't provide any evidence of that call, then by my logic, I'd be £2.3k better off.

EDIT: This is how the world works according to @Bav :fast rofl:

I can't think of any other "big ticket" purchases that people make that involve agreeing to buy without knowing the price or delivery date, which might be over a year away.
All recreation vehicles under the stay cation banner, we are lucky to be looking at motorhomes also when we originally ordered our van and they were non committal on prices saying a £65k model could go up by up to 10% pay us a deposit and will let you know final price on delivery. Whatever but lots did hand over £5k deposit and wait to get rodgered, we got a cancellation and you think VW service is bad try them cowboys even on day of collection our private plate was sat inside and it was registered on a 22 plate.
Bav go into dealer face to face is sometimes the way but take a mate well dressed as a witness and like I said a 23 plate is worth more.

when we originally ordered our van and they were non committal on prices saying a £65k model could go up by up to 10% pay us a deposit and will let you know final price on delivery.
I'm amazed that people are willing to be treated this way, each to their own, but I'm not.

Reactions: DXX
I'm amazed that people are willing to be treated this way, each to their own, but I'm not.
At least they had a 10% cap on any price increase - there's no limit on my my contract :(

I suspect the business of Marketing has decades of data and research on what is ‘acceptable’, they just gradually push the boundaries to make it seem normal.

Here in Australia I didn't get any price increase when my vehicle arrived. I had negotiated hard at the time of putting down the deposit too. They were expecting me to finance the vehicle through them but I ended up buying outright in the end which they didn't seem happy about. Also I had complained that they gave me barn doors instead of a tailgate which also removed the blind spot monitoring system, so they gave me an extra grand worth of extra accessories to shut me up.

I have since emailed the dealer (chose to email to maintain a written record) and asked them directly to remove or reduce the price rise as a goodwill gesture. At this stage, I haven't given them any reason to do this, other than I'm aware of numerous forum members whose dealers have done just that, in very similar circumstances. I fully expect them to say no, at which point I will raise the subject of their underestimation of the price increase and the lack of written notification, and then see where that conversation goes.
Latest sitrep

The dealer has responded as expected - "A goodwill gesture is not financially possible". They referred to my order coming through Autoebid, so it was high-volume/low-margin business, and that they were invoiced by VW at Dec 2021 prices, so absolutely no margin left for even a token gesture. Still..., they suggested, ...at least you're getting your van at well below today's list price.

I responded with an email saying that I understood all of the above, but according to their own Ts & Cs, they were only allowed to vary the price if they provide me notice and that, given their "your balance is now due" email was the first I'd heard of a £2300 increase, they must not have done so. I invited them to provide evidence to the contrary, or to provide alternative contractual justification for the price rise, but, failing these, that I wanted to proceed with the purchase at the originally agreed price.

The dealer then promptly responded with a "this above my pay-grade - I'll get back to you"-type email.

@Bav hi bav any closer to getting the van ? Is it off to convertors ? Please keep us updated with the price increase challenge
They've maintained radio silence since the above response, so nothing further to report.

Their still trying to magic up some proof they contacted you
I can't decide if they're playing mind games (with a view to running down the 14-day period within which I have to collect/arrange delivery) or if they're in discussions with their legal department.

Do you know who made the decision when they made it and what criteria they used to come to the amount of increase?

@Bav I'm not interested in the amount but is any of the van on finance you always seem to be able to get a better deal if you have some I always pay it off straight away then

Do you know who made the decision when they made it and what criteria they used to come to the amount of increase?
My understanding is that, at some point prior to the Dec 2021 price increase, VW told their dealers that price protection would be removed for any van not delivered by the end of March 2022. Subsequent to the Dec 2021 price increase, VW reinstated price protection for such vans, but at the then current RRP. So, AFAIK, the increase is is simply the application of the Dec 2021 price increase.

@Bav I'm not interested in the amount but is any of the van on finance you always seem to be able to get a better deal if you have some I always pay it off straight away then
No, it's a cash purchase. If you settle the finance early, don't you get hit with early settlement penalties?

No, it's a cash purchase. If you settle the finance early, don't you get hit with early settlement penalties?
It's normally just the interest on the amount between the day you sign the docs and paying it off, plus you get to keep all the finance incentives like the deposit contribution and service plan. I did this with the Tiguan and it cost me £14 for about a week. It was worth an extra £1700 to me.

It's normally just the interest on the amount between the day you sign the docs and paying it off, plus you get to keep all the finance incentives like the deposit contribution and service plan. I did this with the Tiguan and it cost me £14 for about a week. It was worth an extra £1700 to me.
100%, it’s a total no brainer to take the finance to get the incentives and pay it off.

Think I was £1500 VW finance contribution on the black edition.

100%, it’s a total no brainer to take the finance to get the incentives and pay it off.

Think I was £1500 VW finance contribution on the black edition.
Indeed. If only I'd have known when I ordered.

Back