VW dealers make me laugh

Pedro20001

Auto assembly technician
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi all, just got my van back from the dealers after my second, free service and apparently I need , urgently new wipers. Wouldn't mind but I replaced them 2 weeks ago with Bosch ones. Also they did me a huge favour by not charging me extra for the service as they said I should have only had an oil change even though it clearly states first two services included. I feel so awful taking money from them :D. Also Steve at crs fitted my t32 big brake kit about 5k miles ago, brand new parts supplied by Ollie from bognor motors ( thanks guys ) but apparently they are down to 45% same as my rears, something not quite right there Motus with your measurements . And finally trying to overcharge me for the courtesy vehicle, Thankyou VW motus, derby for making the decision to use another dealership for my next service.well that's my winge over :laugh:

Screenshot_20231214-192504.png

They're are a pain mate, mine went in last November and I had a £9k health check quote, I also got charged nearly £400 for 1 glow plug (not even the expensive one) as they needed to replace all the pipework for the charge cooler as its "single use".

My brakes were then 65% work and needed doing, its been through 2 MOT's since and not even a mention, nothing other than rear brake pads have been done from the health check and it flew through another MOT, they said my Flywheel was about to give up and it would ruin the DSG box.

It went into a very well known VW indy the other week for a full service and I showed them the health check, the only thing they agreed with was the broken engine covers they had put on, I asked about the flywheel as its done another 11k miles since VW said it needed doing straightaway and they said its perfectly fine and they have heard much worse than mine.

Some of the other comical things VW wanted to change were:

Front seatbelt (frayed)
Rear Seatbelt (Frayed)
Mirror glass not heating up to temperature (£84 parts each and £120 labour!!)
Tyres 6mm left but amber??

When I said I would leave it thanks they said they offer finance! I complained to VW head office and was told dealers can charge what they want its nothing to do with them.

I complained to VW head office and was told dealers can charge what they want its nothing to do with them.
Oh but it is. There's that big "VW" stuck on the outside of the building. Reputation is hard to build and moments to lose, regardless of what your franchise agreement says.

If a dealer gets it right it's long term money - I used one SAAB dealer until they closed and have used the same Volvo dealer for nearly a decade. I've no doubt I could have got cheaper indys but both charged an amount that didn't make me bother to look and I've had several cars off both.

The VW dealer I got the Caravelle off didn't bother returning calls to book a service for 2 weeks so I went to another local dealer who'd been very good when we first started our search. I intend to keep the van long term but the original dealer has likely lost the servicing work with the silence about every after sales issue. I may give them the benefit of the doubt for the next service as it's the end of the original warranty but I'm in 2 minds about that.

MOTUS are getting themselves a very bad reputation. I have had two issues with them since my vehicle was new. They told me my brakes needed replacing even though they were only 20% worn. Secondly they delayed warranty work because they had a staff shortage. The truth is they skirt around warranty work because it takes time for them to be paid from VW . I have sent various emails to their customer services department to complain with no response. Another example of how big companies screw the end user.
My independent is such a pleasure to deal with.

It is a shame that they don't seem to care about a good customer base, I wouldn't mind if they even did what was expected of them. They replaced the pollen filter, as required but left a pile of leaves and debris all over the passenger carpet. Any decent Indy would have cleared them up as part of the service yet motus just don't seem to give a damn. Ironically they are quick to call me about changing my vehicle....

It is a shame that they don't seem to care about a good customer base, I wouldn't mind if they even did what was expected of them. They replaced the pollen filter, as required but left a pile of leaves and debris all over the passenger carpet. Any decent Indy would have cleared them up as part of the service yet motus just don't seem to give a damn. Ironically they are quick to call me about changing my vehicle....
I had similar debris with the added bonus of the ham fisted mechanic managing to break the clips holding the cover panel and thinking they could get away with a bit of double sided tape to hold it up. Service done in August so soon as temperatures dropped so did the lower panel. They did replace FOC when I complained

charged me for a new engine mount picked up during health check …… they insisted not covered by all in warranty but I later discovered it was covered …. Insisted on refund. They said they couldn’t retrospectively put in a warranty claim ….. not my problem I said …. Got money back eventually

and as discussed in another thread I apparently have 4 perishing tyres, 2 years old 7mm tread

rear brake pads 90% worn disks lipped and priority need replacing, front 55%, disks exactly the same as the rear but for some reason are ok …. MOT 4k ago and no advisory or mention. Picked up replacements anyway and will replace at some point.

On the video the tech even had the cheek to comment on number plate spacing. wtaf

i honestly get the same feeling going to the stealers as I do the dentist lol

Seems to be a trend here with brakes and disks. Mines due in at the end of Jan for it's MOT and a sevice under the all in one plan. Think I'll leave the invoice for my brakes and disks, which I did myself, hung up on the visor when I take it in. See if they get the hint.

Got to be honest, mine went for 1st service last week at Sinclair Swansea and because my van didn't go in at the time stated, they replaced the wipers for free and I was totally tea'd out.
My Mrs has a Hyundai Tucson and she took it for it's 2nd service 2 weeks ago at Hyundai dealer and they reported the brakes needed changing urgently. Wait for it, £800 !!!! I said don't you dare get them to change them. Turned out the front brakes had about 6 months life left, or so they say. I wouldn't be surprised if they last another year.

I think most of the brake change recommendations are because of the variable service interval on some vehicles, which can be up to 2 years.

Problem is the stealers only apply one set of guidelines (IMHO).

Years ago I really trusted our local Skoda garage as the front desk service guy Carl was always open and honest and would do things that felt like you weren’t being ripped off e.g. I always brim the screen wash before vehicles go for service as I always use the same brand (due to a slime incident years ago after mixing brands needing tank removal from behind wheel arch liner) I digress! Anyway Carl would always say - I note your screenwash was full so I’ve put a bottle of it in the passenger footwell.

He left as wasn’t towing the corporate line!

I still do the same and took it up with the service manager a few years ago who said after testing the wipers they managed to get some in! Since then I have developed a distrust / dislike almost hatred of main dealer service departments! Its not the front desk personnel’s fault - its the franchise policy!

Rant over!

Second service and MOT with my local Indy Midland VW in Cannockshire in the morning. I won't even take mine to Birmingham VW for the Bowden cable update. Never heard a bad word about Midland VW, long live the reputable Indy!
That's who I use, used them for years with various VAG stuff.

My Tig went in for a recall job earlier this week. It was to zip tie up a wire. I was sent an email for online check in a couple of days before. In the email were boxes to tick to authorize any additional work they made up to do up to a cost of £400 or £800. I obviously declined, but I still got a phone call suggesting that the brake fluid change was overdue (£75.00) and it was suggested that I have an air-con service (£139.00) I politely declined those offers too.

My Tig went in for a recall job earlier this week. It was to zip tie up a wire. I was sent an email for online check in a couple of days before. In the email were boxes to tick to authorize any additional work they made up to do up to a cost of £400 or £800. I obviously declined, but I still got a phone call suggesting that the brake fluid change was overdue (£75.00) and it was suggested that I have an air-con service (£139.00) I politely declined those offers too.
There's a few extra buttons we need on the forum instead of hitting like or sad. We need a Bas£@rds button, and a puke button for every mention of Ford.

Whilst I’m not the biggest fan of main dealers I’ve been using wolsey van centre at Ipswich and have found them really good- not even spurious brake pad warnings! Don’t know weather I will stick with them when it’s out of warranty or try and find a good indy

I use Wolsey too as i have service plans...they always seem find something on either of my vans but i always go elsewhere for a second opinion.
The last time my work van went in for a routine service, with no dash warning lights, it came out with warning lights! :rolleyes:

I suppose that’s the thing with a main dealer - it’s a bit luck of the draw what mechanic you get. Whereas with a small indy it’s probably 1 or 2 mechanics who hopefully know their stuff!!

Everyone's on a bonus for the extras sold at the dealers. You may be just giving them your wallet having your all included MOT.
How much do you trust them?

Back