Has anyone successfully challenged VW's price increase?

waffle waffle waffle
I've read some utter crap on this forum, but that's defiantly up there with the worst.

Advising to take delivery, and then retrospectively trying to use a credit card company to challenge the contract? OK, good luck!

One minor point you totally miss, he only has a contract with the supplying dealer, not the manufacturer/uk importing entity.

Vw Breeze in poole posted in the Cali Forum regarding new deals from VW : Excerpts from the thread

“Volkswagen are also offering 3x Services FOC and 1 MOT. They are also offering 1 year free insurance.” (
(Presumably an incentive in a response to declining order book).

“For eligibility the drivers must be between 25-75. Minimum of two years no claim discount and a full driving license for two years. Have no more than one minor driving conviction within the last five years and not been banned or disqualified from driving within 5 years.

The insurance is provided by Volkswagen themselves in the same way they offer drive away insurance.”

“A very competitive and sufficient discount will be applied”

this may be worth pursuing as a compromise for all parties, in effect it’s Zero cost to the dealer, but a benefit to you ?

Noting, VWCV existing and new order lead times are tumbling, the world wide economy is looking rocky for the short term.
I wonder if VWCV want to keep customers happy or if they just want to fleece them at point of sale !
Why have many many customers not had to pay the increase at all, despite VW increasing price several times during the manufacturing lead time ? (A lead time relating to a specific made to order vehicle, not a stock order).
yes VW can claim many have been advised that future increases by VW could be applied at point of delivery, although no additional cost has been levied by VW for many many customer Orders. (Fair or unfair)
I would like to think that is because VWCV has considered the customer to have been loyal customers who supported the VW Brand through some very bad times and have had to wait unusually extended (inordinate) lead times to have the Van order fulfilled by VW, through no fault of the customer. In fact the longer VW take to deliver the vehicle the motre they can charge, which dips detrimental in both ways to the customer!
Essentially VW have created their own head we win tales you loose scenario, only VW can set the RRP, they can chose to change the RRP whenever they like, to suit themselves and apply it post contract!
suggest you let VWCV know your not happy with the situation and that you feel VW have exploited you and they have you over a barrel, and why. (You’ll be substantially out of pocket if you exercise your legal right to withdraw, due to a commitment you have given to a third party, in good faith, based on the information VW gave you)
insist the final contract sum is broken down to show the original contract amount + the uplift VWCV now want to apply subsequently, so it is clear and unequivocal that VWCV have increased the contract price post contract agreement.

Depending on your risk adversity, you could Pay some of the final Balance on a Credit card, (£100+) if you didn’t originally pay the deposit by Credit card ? (If you did you have some protection, contact your card Co. ) if not pay a further deposit on credit card against the original (to the dealer) Before paying any final balance.
use the Credit Card co. to deal with VWCV to take up the legal status of the original contract value “agreed price at the inception of the contract “ vs the open ended contract wording which can only benefit one party! VWCV will not want a dispute with a Credit card company, Particularly when VW failed to provide a firm delivery time ( I.e. not affording you price protection from multiple cost increases) and the legal standing of the contract in law, which could be considered “an unfair contract“ As VWCV have clearly geared the contract to suit only one party, VWCV at the expense of the other party, which is not legal in the U.K. as defined in consumer law.

I wish you luck
Thankyou for taking the time to provide your input @Perfectos. :thumbsup:

Are you able to provide a date when VW Breeze posted the info re the services/MOT/insurance deal?

Part of the problem for me is knowing whether I should approach VWCV or the dealer. As you say, VWCV have control of RRP and have the ultimate power to choose not to charge the increase for an individual customer, but my agreement is with the dealer and (from what I've gathered here and in other threads) for many of those that have not been charged an increase, they have their dealer to thank, as it is the they that have made a goodwill gesture.

I've read some utter crap on this forum, but that's defiantly up there with the worst.

Advising to take delivery, and then retrospectively trying to use a credit card company to challenge the contract? OK, good luck!

One minor point you totally miss, he only has a contract with the supplying dealer, not the manufacturer/uk importing entity.
I do appreciate your input @MK2Golf24v - even when you're telling me things I might not want to hear - but I do wish you could be less confrontational in your approach.

Didn't have any trouble with buying a new MAN TGE, ordered August 2021, delivered November 2022 but original quoted price held!

Reactions: Bav
Thankyou for taking the time to provide your input @Perfectos. :thumbsup:

Are you able to provide a date when VW Breeze posted the info re the services/MOT/insurance deal?

Part of the problem for me is knowing whether I should approach VWCV or the dealer. As you say, VWCV have control of RRP and have the ultimate power to choose not to charge the increase for an individual customer, but my agreement is with the dealer and (from what I've gathered here and in other threads) for many of those that have not been charged an increase, they have their dealer to thank, as it is the they that have made a goodwill gesture.
Here is the thread you requested.

despite the negativity shown by some, I would make contact with VWCV who ultimately are selling the vehicle via the franchised dealer network, you have nothing to loose.
& if you did pay your deposit via Credit Card, make contact with them, they will provide you with free legal advice on consumer law.

Out of interest, are you selling a vehicle to make way for the new van? If so, has that seen an increase in value, or suffered less depreciation than it ordinarily would have since ordering the new van?

I always try to look at the bigger picture and as there are so many variables, the maths may suggest that it's not just as straightforward as the increase in cost that the dealer is suggesting.

Here is the thread you requested.

despite the negativity shown by some, I would make contact with VWCV who ultimately are selling the vehicle via the franchised dealer network, you have nothing to loose.
& if you did pay your deposit via Credit Card, make contact with them, they will provide you with free legal advice on consumer law.

Cheers. Unfortunately I paid the deposit by bank transfer, so no credit card protection for me.

Out of interest, are you selling a vehicle to make way for the new van? If so, has that seen an increase in value, or suffered less depreciation than it ordinarily would have since ordering the new van?

I always try to look at the bigger picture and as there are so many variables, the maths may suggest that it's not just as straightforward as the increase in cost that the dealer is suggesting.
Good point, but I don't have a van to sell, so nothing to offset the price rise against.

An Insightful & helpful post, as most of your other posts have been on this subject.

I guess your a Negative type that would just put their head in the sand and accept the situation and be £2500 poorer?

At least I’m offering the poor guy some sympathetic support and perspective.

A credit card company will provide free advice & legal protection, particularly if you have paid a minimum of £100 pounds Towards the total cost of the goods.
thats better advice than you’ve offered to date, I note you gloss over the positive aspects of posts to hone in on the parts you feel are utter “Crap” in your words.

The ultimate Contract is with VWCV, it is they who administer the contract, create the contract conditions and receive the monies, the dealer is acting as an agent for VWCV and is paid a commission for their efforts, It is VWCV who enforce the contract conditions not the Dealer.

if you can’t say anything positive and in support of the OP, when he’s asking for help, whats your point of posting your negativity in the thread, just to be negative for negative sake & to try & wind it up ?

There is also the consideration that whilst it is costing more now, at the point of delivery, you'll have a van that has much more value than one that you may have taken delivery of a few weeks after order.

To try and explain my thinking is (with numbers plucked from the air)... you order a van 18 months ago for £45k and take delivery a few weeks later. Fast forward to today and that van is now worth £37.5k. The same van ordered 18 months ago but not delivered until today may have gone up in price to £47.5k, but it's brand new and worth every bit of that.

OK, I understand that you haven't enjoyed the use of the van for those 18 months, but that's all in the past and we all need to look forwards.

There is also the consideration that whilst it is costing more now, at the point of delivery, you'll have a van that has much more value than one that you may have taken delivery of a few weeks after order.

To try and explain my thinking is (with numbers plucked from the air)... you order a van 18 months ago for £45k and take delivery a few weeks later. Fast forward to today and that van is now worth £37.5k. The same van ordered 18 months ago but not delivered until today may have gone up in price to £47.5k, but it's brand new and worth every bit of that.

OK, I understand that you haven't enjoyed the use of the van for those 18 months, but that's all in the past and we all need to look forwards.
Good point. Assuming the Buzz will replace the 6.1 it’s likely that a camper converted Transporter will become even more attractive (valuable).

Last edited:

Hmmm, I struggle with this if I'm honest.

I didn't buy the van to keep value in it - its value to me is in its use as a camper. In my view, I've lost 18 months of use; I'm paying more for the van than I'd budgeted for and I'm going to have to pay more for the conversion than I'd budgeted for. (Note, I'm not saying I can't afford the increases, but I am retired and on a fixed income, so budgeting is important).

Had everyone involved played by the rulebook, then there'd be nothing I could do about any of the above - I'd have to, as you say, look forward not backward - but it's not clear to me that the price increase has been applied to the letter of the contract and I am minded to exploit that possibility to try and remediate the increase in the price of my van.

An Insightful & helpful post, as most of your other posts have been on this subject.

I guess your a Negative type that would just put their head in the sand and accept the situation and be £2500 poorer?

At least I’m offering the poor guy some sympathetic support and perspective.

A credit card company will provide free advice & legal protection, particularly if you have paid a minimum of £100 pounds Towards the total cost of the goods.
thats better advice than you’ve offered to date, I note you gloss over the positive aspects of posts to hone in on the parts you feel are utter “Crap” in your words.

The ultimate Contract is with VWCV, it is they who administer the contract, create the contract conditions and receive the monies, the dealer is acting as an agent for VWCV and is paid a commission for their efforts, It is VWCV who enforce the contract conditions not the Dealer.

if you can’t say anything positive and in support of the OP, when he’s asking for help, whats your point of posting your negativity in the thread, just to be negative for negative sake & to try & wind it up ?
You are completely wrong. There is no contract with VWCV. The dealer is a franchise, the contract is with the dealer.

Your “advice” is garbage.
42C76A96-7D10-474E-BAE8-C8FFB9F15E7B.jpeg

Or would you like to enlighten us all with which sections of the consumer credit act cover this scenario?

You are completely wrong. There is no contract with VWCV. The dealer is a franchise, the contract is with the dealer.

Your “advice” is garbage.
View attachment 184254

Or would you like to enlighten us all with which sections of the consumer credit act cover this scenario?

can't imagine he'd want to speak to you again after you've been so rude to him tbh.

sorry @Bav i know this doesn't help you thread and you've already mentioned it but...

Having just spoken to VW Vans Birmingham today and there is a 2 year wait on new transporters apparently so I guess the question is how badly you want it ?

Hmmm, I struggle with this if I'm honest.

I didn't buy the van to keep value in it - its value to me is in its use as a camper. In my view, I've lost 18 months of use; I'm paying more for the van than I'd budgeted for and I'm going to have to pay more for the conversion than I'd budgeted for. (Note, I'm not saying I can't afford the increases, but I am retired and on a fixed income, so budgeting is important).

Had everyone involved played by the rulebook, then there'd be nothing I could do about any of the above - I'd have to, as you say, look forward not backward - but it's not clear to me that the price increase has been applied to the letter of the contract and I am minded to exploit that possibility to try and remediate the increase in the price of my van.
H Bav

have a look at this government document regarding unfair contract, particularly section 12 : price variation clauses

Reactions: Bav
Having just spoken to VW Vans Birmingham today and there is a 2 year wait on new transporters apparently so I guess the question is how badly you want it ?
I won't be rejecting the van, but on the basis that I don't think they've applied the price increase in accordance with the Ts & Cs, I'll be seeing how close to the originally quoted price I can get it for. :thumbsup:

Cool, that confirms as per 7.a.ii of his t&c’s, they are correct, as their clause have given the purchaser the right to cancel within 21days if they are unhappy.

I won't be rejecting the van, but on the basis that I don't think they've applied the price increase in accordance with the Ts & Cs, I'll be seeing how close to the originally quoted price I can get it for. :thumbsup:
Completely agree, it has to be a conversation. I think VW have a take it or leave it as the demand is so high. Good luck though, it will be an interesting result :thumbsup:

Back