Has Anyone Placed A Rib Altair In A Different Position?

OllieGBR

VCDS user
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I’ve fitted my RIB Altair bed with the supplied mounting plate that fits over the rear most support brace.

However, being a LWB it’s a long way back.

I’d like to remove the brace, invert it and move the whole thing 100-200mm further forward.
There’s still plenty of scope in the bed on it’s 200mm slider to butt up against the doors, (no lost pillows in the night).

Has anyone else tried this? I know it won’t be officially M1 crash tested, but if I invert it, then bolt the sides as per original fitting, and then weld the sides of the brace to either the existing cross brace or side rails I feel this will be enough stability.

Cheers
Ollie.

E9E79189-BC34-41EF-BE7E-732CE9726A54.jpeg BAE10E8A-13EB-491D-942C-A950B49955B0.jpeg CC03A746-7622-4160-9F27-6BFCC7492CEE.jpeg 7D1AA1B4-DAF5-42D0-B468-F3331D888092.jpeg C0D7D05D-9B85-4F28-BA6B-64D58918EAE9.jpeg 4E6DA42A-3E10-4380-BCB4-4DBF7EEC7C4F.jpeg

I didn’t fit mine as it was done by Camper King. Mine looks to be mounted on two back plates either side of the cross member?

Many thanks for the pictures @RichDavies82
I can get a plate like that made up, so decision made. I’m going to move it forward 110mm. This is a much better position.

Hi Ollie,
i’m just starting to look at options for RIB seat in a LWB 4Motion. I would like to get 400mm storage between the back of the seat and rear door. From what I can see in a SWB conversion, the RIB with slider leaves only 200-250mm. It does seem a bit pointless to get a LWB and then have the seat that far back.

Since the RIB non-slider version would have to be fitted 200mm further forward I assume you can get a kit for that. I’m also interested in your plan to move it 110mm forwards - does that mean the slider position is adjustable like a car seat or is it fully forwards or back?

Colin

Hi Ollie,
i’m just starting to look at options for RIB seat in a LWB 4Motion. I would like to get 400mm storage between the back of the seat and rear door. From what I can see in a SWB conversion, the RIB with slider leaves only 200-250mm. It does seem a bit pointless to get a LWB and then have the seat that far back.

Since the RIB non-slider version would have to be fitted 200mm further forward I assume you can get a kit for that. I’m also interested in your plan to move it 110mm forwards - does that mean the slider position is adjustable like a car seat or is it fully forwards or back?

Colin

Hello Colin
I did move my seat 110 forward and used the existing supplied mounting plate. I’m thinking of having a new plate made up that incorporates the chassis rail at the back. After the kitchen is fitted I will add additional mounting plates on 4 more bolt locations.
Now my seat will still slide backwards and the top of the bed nests comfortably against the back doors so I don’t loose my pillows at night.

Hi Ollie,
Thanks for your reply. Out of curiosity: why 110mm? I was thinking 200/220 to put it in the same position as the fixed (non slider) version. Thus would still be 200 further back from the door opening than a SWB van so you’re not compromising too much on living space, and having additional storage behind the seats would seem useful.

Another RIB question, do they have to be mounted to a ply/Altro floor or can they be used with a Kombi runner floor mat?

Hi Ollie,
Thanks for your reply. Out of curiosity: why 110mm? I was thinking 200/220 to put it in the same position as the fixed (non slider) version. Thus would still be 200 further back from the door opening than a SWB van so you’re not compromising too much on living space, and having additional storage behind the seats would seem useful.
Morning - I wanted to make sure the bed would still slide back enough to meet the rear doors when the bed in flat.

Sorry to bump this up, i'm in a bit of a quandry with mine too. I have the Rib 150 slider version (last year) which was purchased from Clearcut Conversions and its mounted as per the instructions to allow for more living space but sadly the room in the boot is rubbish. Has anyone moved or fitted a frame further forward in the van and were there any issues in doing so? If i could get it further forward it might make the kids a little happier as i dont have rear windows so they cant see much when travelling.

No issues moving it forward.
Plenty more boot space.

Thanks for the reply, i got onto Clearcut who said it was possible which is good news! Aparently you just follow the instructions for the non sliding bed which shows the reinforcement bar right next to the spare wheel hinge. Something to get stuck into when my van comes back from the repairer.

Ollie, do you have any pics of the seat in its various positions? Trying to work out where mine would sit in relation to the kitchen cupboards..

#first post!
Hi guys, just acquired a new T6.1 and looking to fit a fixed 150 rib, may sound like a really stupid question but when fitted in the standard position what is the dimension from the fixed frame to the inside edge of the threshold? Forward storage planning! Appreciate any replies, cheers

Hi.. threads a little bit old but hoping somebody can help me. I’m just about to purchase a SWB t32 4motion conversion - fitted with a RIB 112 bed using the Kiravans designed certified rib seat installation system ? (No idea what that means) and iv read that they aren’t suitable for 4motion vans.. can anybody shed light on why this is please ? Il be carrying a young child in the van so want to be sure it’s safe before I buy

I’d check with kiravans but I suspect it might be something to do with getting the reinforcement bar in place without disturbing/removing the driveshaft to the rear differential

Thanks will give them a call tomorrow - I’m due to purchase the van Today. Is it worth putting off or would it be a minor issue to resolve ?

I would be more worried if the RIB bed was installed without a certified mounting system.

A quick forum search reveals that someone tried to do this and one of the mountingpoints for the rear differential is in the way
Havealook underneath and compare to the banwy image

Back