Rib Altair (200mm Sliding Option) Fitted To Lwb

OllieGBR

VCDS user
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Has anyone fitted the RIB Altair to their LWB?

I managed to install yesterday with the supplied fitting kit, (big brace that fits over one of the rear cross members/ support brace).

However, I’m not desperately happy with the location having naively thought that the sliding option would allow me to move the seat further into the front of the van - in reality it moves it further back.

Now I know this allows for a more flexible cupboard space in the kitchen area, but it doesn’t allow for any decent storage space for packing in the rear.

Is anyone using this bed in a LWB happy with the rear packing space?
Has anyone fitted it further forward and can provide some observations?

Cheers
Ollie.

is it on sliding rails?
surely it should slide forward, closer to the front , that's the idea of them. Sliding-RIB-Bed-for-VW-Campervan.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

The bed frame is fixed;
F15F54ED-5D16-4037-A03B-C962BBAF7C5F.jpeg
There’s about a foot of space at the back. (From the frame)
In this picture the bed is in its most forward position, therefore this is the maximum loading area.

2F9BD313-0BC1-4ECF-8C04-FF16FCA8A2EB.jpeg

I have the three seater version (130 I think). In it’s most forward position, I have a bit more load room than that. 167BD87D-A706-46F3-8FC5-783ABA389800.jpeg207B7F31-E0DF-4A1B-8B47-FA1075BC532B.jpeg

Yours looks to be positioned in-line with the rear wheel arch but mine looks to be set a bit more forward. I’d say mine was around 120mm more forward than yours.

Also, with mine in its most forward position, the front of the seat looks to be around 100mm from the pillar and level with the pillar on the n/s
4DF0FF75-FE5B-4840-BC40-106BF2B0504B.jpeg C98D9989-308E-4D40-927A-D548809294EF.jpeg 3229F167-6034-416C-89B9-0E999E605BDD.jpeg

I am aware the the full sliding versions are expensive but in my opinion are a very worthwhile option. I've always used REIMO Variotech type seat/bed unit which makes any camper into a very versatile vehicle especially a LWB.

The complete unit of a REIMO 333 will come to the front making the camper into a huge estate car for transporting passengers within audible conversation distance with integral seat belts and head rests plus enormous goods space. The older Classic Varotech did have separate rear bed sections but even so these can be removed to give plenty of carrying space.

I am aware the the full sliding versions are expensive but in my opinion are a very worthwhile option. I've always used REIMO Variotech type seat/bed unit which makes any camper into a very versatile vehicle especially a LWB.

The complete unit of a REIMO 333 will come to the front making the camper into a huge estate car for transporting passengers within audible conversation distance with integral seat belts and head rests plus enormous goods space. The older Classic Varotech did have separate rear bed sections but even so these can be removed to give plenty of carrying space.
I wholeheartedly agree with you @rod_vw There were two reasons I chose not to go with the full sliding option;
The first was expense, I couldn’t get the version I wanted as a DIY install
Secondly, the two size options didn’t suit my needs. You either have a very narrow kitchen area, or a narrow bed.

The Rib Altair is a compromise, however I thought it would allow more room in the rear.
I also noticed that my feet don’t touch the ground when sat on the chairs!

Back