Hardwiring Dashcam... Yes Again

SF_52EVO

T6 Pro
So, taken the dashcam out of my car and attempted to put it into the T6. It’s a Nextbase dashcam with the standard hardwire kite like this one

Car Dash Cam DVR USB Hard Wire Kit For Nextbase 112 212 312 402G 412 512 512GW 703064139340 | eBay

Switched live to the centre row of the fuse box and the earth to the normal torq screw by the passenger door. Have tried two hardwire kits to be sure and I get nothing

Read through all the threads, signed up to VIP membership to check the fuse box layout but I’m lost. I’ve seen loads of people do it the exact same way and it works.

Anyone else had this problem and know how to fix it.

Thanks in advance.

Edit, thrived the fuse tap to a perm live and still nothing. Dashcam works fine from cigarette lighter.

Ok first thing to do is get hold of a multimeter...

You first need to verify your powers and grounds....

Can you post a couple of pics of your ground point and fuse connection.

Use your multimeter to find a good ground (say the 12v socket outer ring) and make sure you can read above 12v on the outer fuse lines.... and 12v ignition switches on the centre row..

If you have good voltage now move your ground lead over to the earth screw location and retest...

If all is well you need to start moving up the lead towards the dash cam...

Check after all your crimps etc....

Try plugging the usb lead into a different device to check the charging is working.

Let us know how you get on....?

6D2512BB-5F6A-4754-92F0-6B729B8E1BC2.jpeg 009087A4-4F7A-4399-975D-0595D501BDFB.jpeg Thanks mate, will give that a go.

Not got the van with me at the minute but managed to get a couple of pictures off the internet to show what I’ve used the 15amp blue in the centre row.

Hopefully I’ll get to the bottom of it as I hate the wires everywhere!

I had trouble with the hardwire kit on my Nextbase dashcam also - and this was after it had been working for over 6 months!
I'm still not 100% sure that I've got to the bottom of it, but I also resorted to using the dashtop 12v socket for a while. I also bought a cheap USB voltage checker that I could use to confirm the voltage output from the hardwire kit itself. My problem was that my camera worked intermittently. It would suddenly start when I had been driving for a while and I hadn't even realised that it wasn't working. Then it would switch off randomly. Again, it was fine when plugged into the 12v dashtop socket.
For a while I plugged the hardwire supply directly into the camera, instead of into the GPS magnetic mount thing that Nextbase use. This seemed to be working OK for several weeks, so I got in touch with Nextbase (I'm still within the 1 year warranty), explained what I had done, and they have sent me a new GPS mount that I have used for the first time this morning. So far, so good...
I'm very pleased with the Nextbase Customer service as this isn't the only time I have contacted them, and they have always responded promptly and been very helpful.

Thanks, I’ll see where I was plugging it into.

Currently it’s sat on the driveway leaking diesel so haven’t really had the motivation to work on it. Only bought it 2 weeks ago and this is the third thing that’s gone wrong ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks, I’ll see where I was plugging it into.

Currently it’s sat on the driveway leaking diesel so haven’t really had the motivation to work on it. Only bought it 2 weeks ago and this is the third thing that’s gone wrong ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
oh no, whats happened?

is it in 3yrs warranty? . . . can you call out VW Assist?

oh no, whats happened?

is it in 3yrs warranty? . . . can you call out VW Assist?

Yeah they came out last night and identified it was the fuel filter leaking. Also had problems with the TPMS telling me I have a flat for no reason, and still waiting on them taking out the dents that I pointed out on collection.

It’s not been the greatest experience so far, I’m just holding out hope that it will all get sorted.

Hopefully sooner rather than later because the T6 replaces my car. Which is making life a bit difficult at the minute.

My T4 was less trouble than this ☹️

So confession time, didn’t realise I needed two fuses in the fuse tap! I only had one in the x-trail!
Anyway, hope my stupidity helps someone else out in the future.

So confession time, didn’t realise I needed two fuses in the fuse tap! I only had one in the x-trail!
Anyway, hope my stupidity helps someone else out in the future.
Good attitude :thumbsup: I always put my cockups on here so someone else can maybe avoid them

Very interesting.....I had my Dashcams hard wired by my converters, and subsequently had some issues, so took it back (day’s income lost btw), and had their electric sub contractor guy sort it...poor connections it seems.
The front cam has since stopped working again along with top power socket and VW say it’s not the fuse. Soooo when it goes in got the next service, they have to sort it. I will get them to photograph any issues and how to fix it and post the results.
Ps in spite of nice job done, would have to think about using local converters next time, easier to get to!!!!

I am having similar problems with hard wire kit in Vw 2019 carravel

1 i have a good earth direct to bare unpainted metal cross member under the dash (checked solid earth with multi meter )
2 i am in a switched fuse socket (centre fuse bank), this definitely works, as camera goes on when i switch the ignition on and off when i turn it off (4 sec delay set) indicating it must at least be getting a voltage
3 when ignition on, battery indicator has lighting bolt, indicating on external supply But blue charge light on camera comes on the goes immediately out(indicating not charging)
4 even though it indicates on external supply (on camera battery icon) camera keeps turning on and off engine running or not
5 all fuses ok and tried turning fuse adapter 180 degrees as suggested in previous posts on various sites (no difference)
6 if i fully charge camera in house (no problems blue charging light on cam solid and fully charges ) it seems to last longer in use than it would on battery alone
7 when using supplied cigarette lighter no problems charging light on camera comes on

I am leaning towards Hard-wire kit being faulty and not supplying enough current to run and or charge ,but enough current/voltage to trip the detection circuit

nextbase suggested changing the SD card but this made not a jot of difference, but i have ordered the one they recommend i have doubts that this is the problem to be honest

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Could we see a link to the hardwire kit in question? I've certainly had issues in the past with other vehicles where a USB socket will run a sat nav but not charge it. I know we're talking about 12v and dash cam but it's not unheard if for a poor power supply to be an issue.
Other than that I wonder if you could try another earth even if temporarily just to be sure. I know your current set up has a good earth but I'd be tempted to run it to a factory earth stud. There is certainly one at the left hand end of the dash for starters.

Thanks for the reply

I did try a direct connection to the battery negative, (best earth you can get) but no joy .
Changed the Sd card as advised yesterday from Next-base, not really surprised it made no difference But you gota try
Phoned Next-base again today spoke to a very helpful chap who after a very detailed explanation of the issues and my diagnostics procedures
Will be sending me a new hard-wire kit (free) even though it was 6 months old and no longer had receipt so could not return it to the store (halfords)

I must say i have been impressed with the help and advice next base has given me

My best guess is one of the passive components in the kit has gone "pear shaped" and although it supplies a current/voltage enough to trip the power detection circuit it is not enough to power the unit or indeed charge it

my only other thought was the fuse panel bus in the caravelle does not use 12v with sufficient available amperage, this seems unlikely as they are fuses of various amps to protect various equipment with various current requirements

I will update my efforts once the new hard wire kit arrives and its installed

I have included the photo of the HW kit

20200821_171608.jpg

20200821_171634.jpg

The hardwire kit i ordered from Amazon £7 arrived (not the one from nextbase yet) haven't routed the cable in yet but plugged it in to the fuse box and just touched the neg on the lighter to body negative to test it was working
And Yup working powers camera and the charge light on the camera comes on

So it looks like the old hard wire kit was faulty

Now to dismantle the dash (without disconnecting the Air bag plug this time ) and wire it permmanatly

Job done :)

Back