Handy hints

Having just gone down the U-shaped furniture route (from van furniture), and owning a SWB T6, I have the overhanging bit over the step (even with a van -x narrow step) which I don't really mind. I managed to do a bit of trimming so was able to push the furniture back towards the rear doors about 3 inches or so, mainly so I can have more room to push the driver seat back a bit being a pretty tall chap. :) I opted for the pull out drawer so have no real need for the opening side cupboard so to make it a bit more tidy I fashioned a bit of ply and some left over carpet to make a panel.......in my eyes it looks a lot better and gives a tidy finish covering up the ply edges and giving a bit of cushion support. pictures before and after below.

IMG_20230825_082700.jpg

IMG_20230825_102902.jpg

True, but I was aiming at gadgets and accessories. I fell into the trap of buying loads of sh1t that I thought would be handy, but never used. After our first 12 months with the van, we went through it ruthlessly & binned all the stuff we never used. We now have more space for stuff we actually need, mostly food & booze:whistle:
what sort of stuff did you think you needed when you started out that you found you didnt in the end ?

what sort of stuff did you think you needed when you started out that you found you didnt in the end ?
Blow up awning/ pots & pans (we now have one saucepan & one frying pan, that’s it), external groundsheet/carpet, solar shower (that was a waste of a tenner), wind break (if it’s windy enough to need a windbreak, we sit in the van, if it isn’t, we sit out & admire the view)….that’s just off the top of my head from 5 years ago.

Having just gone down the U-shaped furniture route (from van furniture), and owning a SWB T6, I have the overhanging bit over the step (even with a van -x narrow step) which I don't really mind. I managed to do a bit of trimming so was able to push the furniture back towards the rear doors about 3 inches or so, mainly so I can have more room to push the driver seat back a bit being a pretty tall chap. :) I opted for the pull out drawer so have no real need for the opening side cupboard so to make it a bit more tidy I fashioned a bit of ply and some left over carpet to make a panel.......in my eyes it looks a lot better and gives a tidy finish covering up the ply edges and giving a bit of cushion support. pictures before and after below.

View attachment 211017

View attachment 211018
Hi Bushwacker.
Is the 'before' picture showing the furniture pushed 3 inches back or is it showing it in the 'as built' position. We have a SWB and like the idea of the U shape furniture. We are having the Van-X step fitted, but still dont like the idea of the overhang. But yours doesn't look TOO BAD!

Hi Bushwacker.
Is the 'before' picture showing the furniture pushed 3 inches back or is it showing it in the 'as built' position. We have a SWB and like the idea of the U shape furniture. We are having the Van-X step fitted, but still dont like the idea of the overhang. But yours doesn't look TOO BAD!
Hi Phil, this is after the changes....it could probably go back another 2 inches or so I reckon if needed. I wasn't keen on the overhang either but doing the carpeted ply piece means that a few months in it looks pretty normal to me now. I had the overhang for about a week or so and it looked crap so had a think how to change it and came up with this piece of engineering genius :p It's OK now :) edit - I also have a Fat Bob Emporium custom shaped carpet since this pic and it looks good.

Last edited:
Back