Handbrake Bracket Lowering

Farnorthsurfer

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Fitting RIB offset swivels and want to keep the seats as low as possible so I am modifying the handbrake bracket so that I don’t have to fit the spacers that came with the RIB swivels.
No problem drilling out the original spotwelds and grinding off the short weld on the back corner of the bracket.
Now, if I weld it back 20mm lower that’s not all the way down but lower than the thickness of the spacers.
Anyone done this? And is it a good idea to also move the bracket forward 20mm to take up some cable adjustment? I want to refit the OEM covers after cutting 20mm off the bottom of course.

upload_2020-2-15_17-30-0.jpeg

Update, took me long enough!
Got the seat bracket welded on lower but not forward of the original. Works really well with the RIB swivel and no spacers.
Adjusted the handbrake a few turns by the lever and it seems fine.
upload_2020-3-7_20-39-45.jpeg
Lowering the original bracket 20mm puts the lower edge of the bracket exactly level with the lower edge of the seat base and gives this clearance over the handbrake.
upload_2020-3-7_20-42-51.jpeg
Still need to trim the cover which should just fit under. This is a test seat base, going to do it again and will end up with a spare modified base if anyone’s interested.

Back