[GUIDE] How to fit a swivel base and handbrake lowering kit to a T6

Andysmee

Previously the last of the TSI's
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Quick guide to fitting a swivel to the driver's seat, in this case it's a RIB driver's swivel and I used the handbrake lowering kit instead of the raising shims.
First remove the driver's seat off the base, and remove the handbrake as described here: Thread '[GUIDE] How to remove the driver's seat from a VW Transporter T6' [GUIDE] How to remove the driver's seat from a VW Transporter T6

How to fit a handbrake lowering bracke

Attach the handbrake to the handbrake bracket using the supplied bolts and nyloc nuts, then attach the handbrake bracket to the original mounting point.
PXL_20211024_104235488.jpgPXL_20211024_104603774.jpg
As the handbrake is now lower, the cable becomes loose, so you need to tighten the nut until it is gently tight when lowered.
PXL_20211024_104702651.jpg
The original trim that covers the handbrake mount no longer works but you can put back the handbrake sleeve. There are gaiters available in fabric or leather online to cover the rear of the handbrake.PXL_20211024_105113175.jpg

The RIB kit includes replacement nuts and bolts and uses the base posts but replaces the bolts at the back with countersunk hex bolts
PXL_20211024_113516425.jpg
PXL_20211024_120557354.jpg

The rails of the seat then attach to the plate with countersunk hex bolts and nyloc nuts provided in the kit.

How do you get to the two nuts at the front "inside" the tapered seat base? I am trying to fit a passenger swivel seat base to a T6 Caravelle and cannot for the life of me know to remove the front fixings. Do I need to remove the entire seat base from the floor? I'm not sure if this would help. Comments appreciated.

The front bolts holding the seat rails onto the seat base are captive in the seat base, and the nuts are free on top. The rear bolts are free and the base has captive nuts at the rear (so the opposite of one another). If you have the front bolts spinning in the base then it's because someone has drilled out the holes, then getting a socket on the nuts will be a pita

This is really helpful, thank you. The only thing is that my seat has a sort of "riser block" between the seat rails and the base, I have not seen this configuration anywhere on YouTube though this is factory spec. I will take a look tomorrow and rather than remove from the riser I will remove the rails and put the swivel in between the seat rails and riser.

Are you able to swivel the seat with the handbrake fully applied?
You can trim the base of the plastic cover to refit. Threads on here. Otherwise pick up a mod’d 1 on eBay.
Taking up the cable slack is best done at the other end.

This is really helpful, thank you. The only thing is that my seat has a sort of "riser block" between the seat rails and the base, I have not seen this configuration anywhere on YouTube though this is factory spec. I will take a look tomorrow and rather than remove from the riser I will remove the rails and put the swivel in between the seat rails and riser.
That sounds suspiciously like someone has previously removed a swivel and not taken the Risers off that came with it. With the risers on a swivel you can avoid lowering the handbrake

So, in an attempt to help anyone else in this situation I have finally got my swivel base fitted. The base goes between the riser blocks and the seat base, all of which are standard factory.

IMG_2533.JPG

IMG_2534.JPG

IMG_2537.JPG

Thing i didnt like about swivel on drivers side was it lifts the seat up enough to make it feel uncomfortable on the legs (i am 180cm with legs in proportion)
would be great if you could get a lower seat base to take this into account :)

Back