H7 Headlight DRL LEDs - What are you running?

CJW

2016 T6.0 T32 SL-to-Camper
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I’ve read all the threads and it’s really hard to establish what actually works in the long term.

After a minor disaster with the Twenty20 CanPlus W21W LED DRL replacements, I’m appealing to the forum’s members - please would anyone successfully running LEDs in the DRLs of the H7 dual reflector headlights let me know below which bulbs you are using? I don’t want to damage the bulb holders any more than they already are by chancing it with an unproven set.

Please let me know:

Manufacturer of bulb
Model of bulb
Do you get CANBuS errors?
Length of time they’ve been installed.
Are the bulb holders still sound after extended use?
Hopefully this info will be useful to future readers too.

EDIT: Have you had DAB interference issues?

I would be very grateful.

Many thanks

Last edited:
Good idea. I’ve got:

Make - Twenty20
Model - 582 7440 Elegance Canbus LEDs12V W21W from Autobulbsdirect

Canbus - No Canbus errors except once when the starter battery was very low on charge and I got a bulb warning. It cleared on the next start and has never happened again. It may have had nothing to do with the LEDs but it happened soon after I fitted them so I assume it was them.

Fitted for 3 months

Holders still fine as far as I’m aware (I’ll update if I have problems in the future).

Reactions: CJW
@CJW what did you go with in the end? Any issues? I’m procrastinating over LED vs conventional bulbs but with a white colour, still hunting for one with an ECE marking though

@CJW what did you go with in the end? Any issues? I’m procrastinating over LED vs conventional bulbs but with a white colour, still hunting for one with an ECE marking though
Hi. I went with 3500k conventional bulbs with a blue glass construction that helps then appear more white. They came from Halfords. Happy with those for now. The thing about the LEDs I just can’t over was how it melted the body of the bulb, never mind the holder.

The holder is damaged but currently behaving - I did get a repair kit just in case.

Not keen on further experimentation yet since I couldn’t even drive during the day without DRLs. More stress than benefit.

Thanks, I can’t find W21W 3500k bulbs on their website, maybe they’ve stopped doing them

I'm running Osram SL W21W bulbs and have for a couple of months. Great light output, do cause bulb out error but I just turned off diags in VCDS. No DAB interference.

They have 4 year warranty and cost £9 off Amazon so all good.

Bitch to fit though so lowered bumper and took whole housing off!

Hi. I went with 3500k conventional bulbs with a blue glass construction that helps then appear more white. They came from Halfords. Happy with those for now. The thing about the LEDs I just can’t over was how it melted the body of the bulb, never mind the holder.

The holder is damaged but currently behaving - I did get a repair kit just in case.

Not keen on further experimentation yet since I couldn’t even drive during the day without DRLs. More stress than benefit.
Hi CJW.

Did the Halfords bulbs bring the bulb warning light on?

And have you had any issues with them 1 year on?

Thanks.

Finchy.

I have had lots of the Lumro bulbs fail, and at half an hour a time to get the bloody things back in its no joke.

I have moved on to Maruta, they seem to be better quality, however after the common failure of my H7 DRL bulb holder am now on the Twenty20 LEDs.

Back