H7 Headlamp - W21W DRL Bulb Issue. Be Aware

Anyone else getting a bulb warning light with LEDs fitted?

Occasionally I used to. See further up this thread.

With some other LEDs, they may give you an error all of the time.

It shouldn't be the battery. The van is only 10 months old.

Mine was a MOLL battery and died at just a year. What make/model of LEDs did you install?

These Philips X-tremeUltinon LED W21W 6000K Car lamp | PowerBulbs

but it seems I need this as well https://www.powerbulbs.com/store/search/21W%20Canbus%20Control%20Unit

Now the question is, do I put up with the warning light until I hopefully get some THQ projectors? However, that may be some time away if I stick to my plan of getting all the parts for the makeover stacked up and doing the job in one go.

Ah, they’re not the ones I used, hence not having bulb out warnings.....

The bulb out warning would annoy me, but I guess if it’s only temporary.....

It will bug me too, so I ordered a pair of resistors last night. I couldn't find the Osrams in stock anywhere, although did give up after 3-4 suppliers, so thought I'd get the Philips ones rather then buy some unknown Chinese knock offs.

You can
It will bug me too, so I ordered a pair of resistors last night. I couldn't find the Osrams in stock anywhere, although did give up after 3-4 suppliers, so thought I'd get the Philips ones rather then buy some unknown Chinese knock offs.
You can get them from RS online for a couple of quid each. I’ve used them several times on trailers.

As I mentioned in another thread, VW have changed the bulb holders in MY2019 vans. It's not a simple retro fit of a different holder as the new ones have wires to the bulb holder, rather than to the female part of the headlight that the bulb holder fixes into.

As I mentioned in another thread, VW have changed the lamp holders in MY2019 vans. It's not a simple retro fit of a different holder as the new ones have wires to the lamp holder, rather than to the female part of the headlight that the lamp holder fixes into.

Didn’t they have issues with the contacts overheating on H7 DRLs? I imagine the direct wiring overcomes this.

I have the same problem, mine has melted. Does anyone know the part number so i can order a a new one ?
20191117_122539 (1).jpg

My concern about just replacing the holder, is if the heat has melted the plastic around the contacts on the bulb holder, what has it done to the the reciprocal contacts on the headlight unit itself. Given that there seemed to be knowledge of this issue by VWC, I'd still try and see if the factory will replace the headlights to the new style under the only just expired warranty. Stress to them it's a fire risk.

As for the part number, if you take the part to TPS they'll ID the part on their system. The actual bulb holder is a separate part from that tool thing that you use to locate it. That bit just unclips.

I'd like to see a photo of the new part that VW have apparently rectified this fault with.

My concern about just replacing the holder, is if the heat has melted the plastic around the contacts on the bulb holder, what has it done to the the reciprocal contacts on the headlight unit itself. Given that there seemed to be knowledge of this issue by VWC, I'd still try and see if the factory will replace the headlights to the new style under the only just expired warranty. Stress to them it's a fire risk.

As for the part number, if you take the part to TPS they'll ID the part on their system. The actual bulb holder is a separate part from that tool thing that you use to locate it. That bit just unclips.

I'd like to see a photo of the new part that VW have apparently rectified this fault with.
I decided to go speak face to face with them at the vw van centre, they looked concerned at the melted plastic and said the van needs booking in asap so they can have a look at.

That's a step in the right direction @andy greenwood. Feel free to show them the photos I posted above, to show it's not a one off. Also mention that my dealer informed me that VW are aware of the issue and that there was a fix for this. Hence the modified design.

Mine are H7's. How do you remove the DRL bulbs, do you need to remove any panels, grill etc to get to them ?

Take the access cover off the back of the headlight behind the dipped beam light. Down below the dipped beam light, you'll find the black plastic contraption on my second picture above. Twist it anti clockwise and pull it out. It will be very tight, so you'll need to be firm. Refitting is the reverse procedure, just with more swearing.

Just a note, mine have LED bulbs, so look different to the tungsten bulbs that VW fitted.

Back