H7 Headlamp - W21W DRL Bulb Issue. Be Aware

As far as I’m aware polarity will matter if a LED bulb is ever used.
I’d agree for most LEDs. I have some Osrams though that must have a bridge rectifier in as the polarity doesn’t matter.

Here is a picture inside an early H7 with the bulb holder removed. The wires are easily visible / accessible and if cut as near as possible to the bulb receptacle, will give plenty of slack to work with. The wires route back to near the bulb hatch. I dont think it matters which way around the wires are connected.

Having bought a set of early H7s, I’m confident / comfortable a repair is fairly straightforward with the repair part (I googled the part number and found an image - it does have wire tails on the bulb holder)
Very useful info that, thanks

View attachment 103901

So today the same bulb has decided to stop working again and the bulb out warning light is back on !!! :mad:

• Sad
Reactions: CAB
Needing a new extension for one the H7 DLR holders meaning purchase of the whole bulb holder I decided to buy two of the revised wired holders and splice them into the internal cables thus mitigating the connection problems (not that I had any)! I’ve clicked one of the new holders in place easily. Just need to solder / heat shrink the cables. I’ll update this thread when I’ve fitted.

6A2C9288-88F5-44D6-B38B-33CC9855B0A6.jpeg

Hey @dubber36. I know it's been a couple of years but can you remember if that bulb is the twenty20 elegance? Did it throw up a canbus error?
Funny old thing, I just happen to have them on my desk trying to work out how to fit them into the Polo.

Yes, it is them and they work without errors.

You're a champ. Thanks for that. Just less than £20 a pair delivered but I'm contemplating the new 'canplus' version for £30 delivered. Silly money for 2 bulbs innit!

the new type with the wires are a replacement for the non wired ones. simply cut the wires to the original drl holder and solder the new plug holder wires together

Has anyone managed to fit the Twenty20 elegance canbus led's that are mentioned above ? I have bought a set as the H7 lights I bought from Deutsche parts came with phillips ones which unfortunately showed an error.
I can get the holders out easy enough but once the Twenty20 ones are fitted I cant get the angle right to refit them .Annoying as they work great with no errors !
Before I rip the bumper off again will they actually fit or are they too big for the caravelle headlights?

Has anyone managed to fit the Twenty20 elegance canbus led's that are mentioned above ? I have bought a set as the H7 lights I bought from Deutsche parts came with phillips ones which unfortunately showed an error.
I can get the holders out easy enough but once the Twenty20 ones are fitted I cant get the angle right to refit them .Annoying as they work great with no errors !
Before I rip the bumper off again will they actually fit or are they too big for the caravelle headlights?

I had them in mine before I swapped the whole lot for THQ headlights.

Apologies for thread resurrection , but can I assume that any OEM H7 headlights I buy new now (e.g. from deutsche parts) will have the newer, fixed design of DRL holder?

Sorry it’s an old topic but just had this happen to my lamp on the osf but it’s not 6 years old. Does anyone have a fix for this? Can you just replace the holder or is the problem internally in the lamp itself?

Anyone know what revision of the headlight part number (letter at the end) introduced the fix? I’ve seen some for sale with an ‘E’ from 2017…

They are 2019 MY. I had a 68 plate with the old lights. My 19 plate has/had the new ones. I've got a pair in the garage, so I'll get a photo in a bit.

Back