H4's V's LED's - Real World Test

Guys, Sorry to chip in but this subject has spread across a number of areas. I recall that in the Discussion on T6 Bulbs & Lights that a member (I believe it was @Polzeylad) contacted VWCV and had their response which he posted. I commented at the time that it appears VW wants to deal with complaints about the H4 lighting as individual complaints and is fearful of a class action. If somebody who is better at this would be kind enough to post the link I would suggest a multiplicity of complaints are made to dealers, in writing and requesting a written response, followed up by formal complaint to VWCV in accordance with their official response to our member if the dealers claim the lights are "adequate" and fit for purpose.

I would suggest holding off on the big guns until the comparative test with the h4, h7, led with a light meter has been done, and also give them a chance of a "good will gesture", as then they don't appear to have been forced to do it so are more likely to do a "good will gesture". This then also points out that we are VERY serious about this issue, as although it is an "amateur" test, it is still well organised and documented enough to take further, and harder for them to argue.. Hit them once with our findings and see what they say, I for one as a h4 owner would settle at the moment for a free h7 "upgrade", as it will only cost them new light units, and a bit of dealer time. BUT please note, I haven't taken delivery of mine yet, or seen a comparison between the h4 and h7, h7 and LED.

It might be worth asking VOSA on their opinion as its their job to police such things, they might have the facilities to help with a subjective test?

It is a last resort to involve people like VOSA, and I for one, as a soon to be owner of a h4 equipped T6, wish people would STOP using the words dangerous and not fit for purpose, BEFORE the insurance companies raise h4 vehicle premiums, or refuse us insurance! It is our OPINION that they need uprating as we are DISATISFIED with their output on such an expensive vehicle. We need to remember who reads these threads, and it might not be your fault if someone walks out in front of you, but these threads could put a different light on it.

Just REMBER, it is the vehicle operators responsability to be happy that the vehicle meets the requirements for its use, or to pull over and park up. So if you think you can't see well enough at night for whatever reason, you should should not be driving, if it's due to that specific vehicle, then it should not be used at night.

Last edited:
You missed my point. A professional organisation doing the test will add weight to anything you put to VW.
I am sure they meet the minimum standards required to achieve type approval and all manufacturers have an entry level specification to compete in the van market.
I also don't think VW will have any interest whatsoever in any goodwill or otherwise if the lights meet the standard.

The warning still stands, and no I did not miss the point.

You missed the point that you have to give VW the opertunity to remedy the complaint, and that they can achieve this through a "good will" resolution, rather than a recall, IF they think that although they meet standard there is a point.

Last edited:
Ok @Loz, stop being argumentative, as it is your opinion and not a known fact, we do not need shooting down, although the flames might help with the light situation

VW won't remedy anything, they will simply bat it away.

They were eventually pretty helpful with our old T5.1 Cali - after numerous trips for various issues, they extended the warranty by a year (insured to start with until they realised how poor it was - they didn't even know! Then it was a full factory warranty extension) and they also paid for a full machine polish when they stuffed up the paint "cleaning" it.

It's worth a go - SO many people are complaining about this issue including an Aussie journalist linked to a week ago, that it's not a case of a few fussy customers moaning - it's a proper issue.

I'm not even directly affected as my H7s are okay but I am really annoyed for those that have bought a great van only to have it spoiled with rubbish lights.

Ok @Loz, stop being argumentative, as it is your opinion and not a known fact, we do not need shooting down, although the flames might help with the light situation
I'm not being argumentative, I just being realistic.

Good work lads. No need for in fighting, I think we're more or less on the same page.
I had taken my van into the dealer on Monday last week to check over the lights and they gave it a clean bill of health. (They cleaned it too!)
The lights were working as they were designed they said...
So I reported my findings to VW with no response so far and it was 7 days since I contacted them. It was on Messenger so I can see that the message has been read.
I have now reiterated my request for this to be looked into further and to see if there is some response.
I will update if I hear anything more.

Back