H4 headlamps with LED bulbs

At Smr72 and are the LED H1 and H7 lamps those supplied with the THQ Mk2s as I think it was on their sister site CamperGlass where it read like the new Mk2s were MOT compliant with LED lamps fitted... I could be making that bit up or more likely wrongly attributing the claims out of blind optimism.

Cheers Zombie, will add the links to my list, was originally looking at some Twenty20 lamps on ABDs site after buying my LED DRL lamps and getting no errors and a satisfactory eye watering crisp white light, weirdly the cheapie LED wedge side light lamps don't throw up a fault either and they were a fivers impulse buy so happy there too.

Zombie do the lamps in your link fit in the housing as according to the advert they're 90mm deep, just wondering if the caps will clip back on with these bad boys onboard?

I considered these too but was unsure of the legalities around insurance or an accident using led headlights.Instead I went for the H4 halogen 150%, led DRL's and led sidelights (all Twenty20), purchased from autobulbsdirect which I think must be an affiliate of HIDS4U.

Very happy with second hand H7 headlight units in place of the H4.
Proper H7 driving lamps on main beam, much better than the H4 units.
Considered all of the LED and high power alternatives but reliability and MOT made the H7 look like good sense.
@Ed Webb posted a very good thread on the conversion
H4 --> H7 journey

Last edited:
Hi,

Keep looking at replacement LED H4 bulbs to replace the yellow candles.

Anyone used any and how do you get round any error messages on dash.

I see some reputable makes are now selling them hopefully that means an improvement in quality.

Hi,

Keep looking at replacement LED H4 bulbs to replace the yellow candles.

Anyone used any and how do you get round any error messages on dash.

I see some reputable makes are now selling them hopefully that means an improvement in quality.
I've been really happy with these What Have You Done To Your Van Today?
They were only supposed to be a temporary solution but they're so good I've just dropped the idea of upgrading my lights altogether. I'll probably have to take them out for my MOT in Feb, but I might leave them in anyway and if they fail just resubmit it with halogens in for the day. If I do upgrade it will be to the full factory LEDs, I can't see the the factory H7s or the chinese copies being noticeably better at light output so I'd resent spending £3-400 for no real benefit.

I've been really happy with these What Have You Done To Your Van Today?
They were only supposed to be a temporary solution but they're so good I've just dropped the idea of upgrading my lights altogether. I'll probably have to take them out for my MOT in Feb, but I might leave them in anyway and if they fail just resubmit it with halogens in for the day. If I do upgrade it will be to the full factory LEDs, I can't see the the factory H7s or the chinese copies being noticeably better at light output so I'd resent spending £3-400 for no real benefit.
Thank you for the reply, I will check them out.

This might be of interest, but bear in mind these are for projector lights. Not reflectors like your H4s. They will just scatter light all over the place and dazzle other drivers. Some say they don't get flashed, but that doesn't mean that other road users don't find them offensive.

Are LED Headlight Bulbs the Brightest? (we show you the best)
I was absolutely of that opinion before I fitted these, but we've had a good comparison of them and a couple of mates cars, both stood in front of them in the car park and driving together and the unanimous opinion was that the LED lights in the A6 were horribly dazzling in oncoming traffic while the Volvo, my van and a C Class Merc all looked about the same. Despite being reflector headlights, the VW H4s don't seem to direct light in the areas that would dazzle oncoming drivers (obvious really when you think about it). Of course they're not as good as LED headlights but importantly, it makes the van useable and safe at night for minimal cost. I can't speak for any other aftermarket replacement lamp as I haven't tried them and if the LED sits in a different place the results could be very different, but I'm happy to keep using these and wish I'd put them in last winter when I actually bought them!

Back