[Guide] Solar Cables? . . . - How I Did It -

a bit of a side thread . . . but still relevant.

more info here regarding Crimp Tools:

1624623938039.png

@Nigel W

it look like the female MC4 connector is damaged. (thats very odd . . was it out the box like that?)

they will just pull apart.

you can fit your own connector on the end,

or get a MC4 cable and cut it up.

or just tape it up with electrical tape as a temp measure. . .

Until you get a replacement from Renogy. . . . (keep us posted)
Feedback as promised - Renology were fantastic, they requested a photo so they could clearly see the problem and came back to me the same day to apologise and asking what they needed to do to make it right.
I told them I would be happy with just a replacement plug as it was something I could fix myself.
They dispatched the same day by 24hr courier a pack of 5 Mc4 connectors - I was impressed, all now fixed and working perfectl.
My only regret is that perhaps I should have got the 200watt version, hahah. Next year perhaps?

Thats good . . . @Nigel W

Renogy are a good company.

remember you can add a second 100w panel to your existing setup - that has not got a controller and just connect it into your existing kit.?

eg>

100 WATT 12 VOLT MONOCRYSTALLINE FOLDABLE SOLAR SUITCASE W/O CONTROLLER ( NO controller in this kit)​

1624708777527.png

and remember the 10% discount.

I can get you a discount at Renogy United Kingdom

Question - thinking about trying to run the cables through to the engine compartment (fall back is out through pop top when needed). Is there an easy way to get from cab to the engine?

@czmate1999

some more info here on that . . :

plus lots of guides on YT.

there is a route through the fire wall up behind the glove box, its come out behind the starter battery,

I've seen them.... but not used them.

Could be a good water proof join.... but need to be tested.

@czmate1999

some more info here on that . . :

plus lots of guides on YT.

there is a route through the fire wall up behind the glove box, its come out behind the starter battery,
Just had a look, have a chunky red cable from the leisure system coming through there…

Is this cable ok to run battery side? Was thinking of fitting an Anderson to 1 side and the other ends straight to the battery set-up. Would drop the 30 amp fuse (included) to a 20 amp fuse.

Yes - thats fine,

just drop the fuse down to a 20A.

Ok, so slight change of plan.

Going to just run the below cable from the battery straight to the solar controller - no Anderson connection. I have found a space near the wheel arch where the controller can go - it will be out of site and not readily accessible but hopefully this is ok - and it’s right next to the battery compartment, see photo. I think I can route the cables behind the furniture to behind the drivers seat and think I might be able to route them to the engine compartment, which will be a neater job.

are there any issues with the solar controller being permanently connected to the leisure batteries?

DF54C6C2-BE66-4DAD-BD78-E1A768DFB19C.jpeg
FABDCC32-52DA-4E66-9928-0E66E59E0723.jpeg
C261D67D-04D7-47BA-905E-E1798A46D050.jpeg23CC74ED-06AD-4567-AB6F-06145EBE69B3.jpeg

No issues with MPPT being connected to Battery all the time.

provided the cable is fused next to the battery and the fuse is accessible.

No issues with MPPT being connected to Battery all the time.

provided the cable is fused next to the battery and the fuse is accessible.
Yeah, the fused part of the cable will be in the battery cupboard. It will be the renogy PWM controller unless you think it worth getting the victron? Would it offer that much better performance or reliability?

Would running the cables from MPPT controller to leisure battery be better than using any form of connectors? For example:

Or a straight fused cable? As the MPPT won't be moving, but that makes it connected to the battery all the time.
Then Id have the cables from solar into MPPT.

Would running the cables from MPPT controller to leisure battery be better than using any form of connectors? For example:

Or a straight fused cable? As the MPPT won't be moving, but that makes it connected to the battery all the time.
Then Id have the cables from solar into MPPT.
You can do either.

Leaving the mppt connected to the battery is fine...

Just hot plug any mobile panels you have.

If my leisure battery is located at the rear, and I can't use the negative terminal for a ground from MPPT Controller, where would anyone suggest I get one from please?

If my leisure battery is located at the rear, and I can't use the negative terminal for a ground from MPPT Controller, where would anyone suggest I get one from please?
There's an OEM earth stud by the wheel arch in both rear quarters

Back