Need some help with Solar issue

MrD

T6 Guru
Replaced my solar panel and ran new cables in using mc4 connections. At each stage I checked for volts all good at 20-22v all the way to the final crimped tail ends. However on plugging said ends into the Victron mppt the controller is not doing anything and showing no activity , charger is off but it shows blue light and battery bolts (12.58v) I have put a meter across the screw terminals but get nothing ?.

I should get a reading from the screws on the terminals…..shouldn’t I?

Really frustrated here . Any ideas people?

yep, you should see the same 22v,

got a few pics?

and screenshot of the app?

Reactions: MrD
you have a break in the PV connection somewhere,

check again with your meter. . .

the controller isnt seeing any voltage from the panel.

1714756044628.png

12.57 is a full charged battery, no? Hence it's got nowhere to put any solar charge. Run down the battery or put a decent load on and you should see the watts show up.

Edit - might not be right, I think it should still show a voltage. So mighty be a connector issue, or a fuse.

Have you got a solar isolator?

That reading has been like that for weeks and weeks after my original panel failed (realised during me replacing the pwm with this new controller) .

I put panel on checked volts 21v then put another cable in tested 21-22v then final short run and tested 22v and have gone backwards to retest all good.

12.57 is a full charged battery, no? Hence it's got nowhere to put any solar charge. Run down the battery or put a decent load on and you should see the watts show up.
Agreed but I should see a voltage at the terminal on mppt?

no, you will always see the PV voltage on the controller.

even when the battery is full.

there is a problem with either the POS or NEG from the panel.

post a few pics of the Victron screw terminals.

does both wires of the PV come back to the controller ? or are you using a chassis NEG for the panel?

Remove the PV cables from the MPPT and connect with the multimeter, you should hopefully see the open circuit voltage (22v) as you've been sending before, then at least you know ask the cabling is ok

Remove the PV cables from the MPPT and connect with the multimeter, you should hopefully see the open circuit voltage (22v) as you've been sending before, then at least you know ask the cabling is ok
Already done twice and it’s 22v in correct POS and NEG position.

no, you will always see the PV voltage on the controller.

even when the battery is full.

there is a problem with either the POS or NEG from the panel.

post a few pics of the Victron screw terminals.

does both wires of the PV come back to the controller ? or are you using a chassis NEG for the panel?
Wires go direct to controller . The cabling is all new done and tested by me today as I progressed and twice since completing.

The mppt when I first got it a few weeks ago I mixed up the battery and old panel cables but rectified as soon as I realised ( the panel was stuffed anyway prior , which I didn’t know initially) could I have damaged it? However I should still get a voltage reading on the terminal.

I will get a pic

Yes it is

See images . Ignore the 2 ends disconnected at the mppt that’s the old panel cable run. Rest of cables need tidying after testing satisfied don’t judge me lol

IMG_2703.jpeg

IMG_2704.jpeg

ok, so now screw them in and do the same test, with the meter probes on the vic terminals. - post the pic.

also post a pick of the BATT terminal voltage.

Ahh, I remember your previous thread :thumbsup:

UPDATE…..

Well what a complete dick ……

30a fuse was blowing because numb nuts here was wiring up the battery to the PV terminal and the PV cables to the battery terminals . Which absolutely explains the 12.4 DC readings off what I thought was the PV cables.

Double checked old PWM charger and it was confirmed I was indeed a tw$t . It was opposite termination points.

Stripped all cables, used bootlace end crimps and crimp tool to rewire the Victron all good Blue led slowly flashing and BT connection to phone all ok. Sun is in at minute so waiting to see the PV working or…….. fingers crossed.

There is a lesson to be learnt here and that is check, check again , understand what your doing then check it again!!!!!

I am -3,000,000 man points and the wife is currently surfing Tinder as we speak …..gutted .

View attachment 234944

Given the new PV cables are both black, double check they're going into the MPPT with the correct polarity. It's opposite to the battery cables.

Ahh, I remember your previous thread :thumbsup:

Given the new PV cables are both black, double check they're going into the MPPT with the correct polarity. It's opposite to the battery cables.
Checked multiple times unfortunately but I left a few inches of red and black sleeping on each one.

Back