[Guide] Retrofitting an internal Tailgate release switch

Yep. Blue plug in the photo in message #12 in this thread. The switch joins them together and (when the boot is shut and the van unlocked) it activates the solenoid.

You can test it by joining the two pins on the blue plug (for the outside switch) together with a paper clip when the boot is shut and it’ll pop open. It won’t open if the boot is already open, or the van is locked as it’s the same as the outside handle in operation.

Last edited:
it’s also worth checking the circuit diagram on post #8 above to make sure you get the two switch wires the right way round.

Excellent electrical solution. I was looking for a mechanical solution so I created my own, so I have just completed a mechanical version of a release for my T5.1 which works great and costs next to nothing. After trawling the forums looking for a video fix and not finding one, I decided to make one of my own. Hope you find this useful :).

Excellent electrical solution. I was looking for a mechanical solution so I created my own, so I have just completed a mechanical version of a release for my T5.1 which works great and costs next to nothing. After trawling the forums looking for a video fix and not finding one, I decided to make one of my own. Hope you find this useful :).
That was brilliant! Nice job. Got any photos with it all back together?

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread. Just picked up an OEM tailgate from a scirocco (looks pretty much the same as the T6 one).

I’m happy with the connections into the blue plug but have a couple of queries.

Will this work without having to make amendments to the internals of the switch as above?

The switch I have has the connector already attached with the illumination wire there. Is there a feed I can pick up to have it illuminated as well?

What size wire is best to use? I intend to use wagos for the connections

Thanks in advance

For anyone ordering a new panel van adding this switch is a ‘no cost’ option, there are not many free ones! Hope it helps someone E1514F16-2C7C-4CD4-AC56-F9A6E06FAD4E.jpeg

Back