HELP! Tailgate release

Duffer

VIP Member
Hi,
Looking for some help; hoping someone has had experience of this & can give me pointers.

Just gone away for a trip & the Tailgate has stopped releasing from the outside (2017 Caravelle).
Electronic switch, and mechanical override on inside of tailgate are both working (I'm having to climb into the boot over the back seats to open it everytime!)
I did pop out the rubber from under the external handle & was a little damp inside (likely from washing ahead of the trip).
I left rubber open to let it dry, this did fix for next few times opening the tailgate, then stopped again!!
Middle 'boot' button on keyfob doesn't unlock the tailgate either - but never has (since i bought it a year ago).

Look like I need to check the microswitch (jumping/shorting it with a piece of cable) & possibly replace the assembly/switch.
2 questions...

1. To get to the internal switch assembly, I have to remove the plastic internal panel/card from the tailgate. Looking for tips on how to do this (can't find anything on here/youtube).
- Caravelle so seems to look a little different to Transporter tailgate - see photo
- Need to remove surround from 'child lock' switch (looks like 2 pin holes to do so - is this a special tool?) - see photo
- Wanted to check if there is a specific process/knack to this before I start yanking out clips/brackets/breaking things...

2. Is there anything else I'm missing, that may not be the microswitch?
- Wanted to check before I start yanking out clips/brackets/breaking things...

Let me know if anything else I need to share alongside all this...

Thanks in advance!
Duffer.

Image.jpegImage 2.jpegImage 3.jpeg

This is not an uncommon fault, it is the switch in the external handle that is faulty
The interior release button and the external release handle are wired together and use the same cables to signal the door to release so you know the wiring is good as the internal button is working

To fix it you need to remove the tailgate internal panels and replace the external switch, i cant offer much more help as its not something i have done myself but if you have a search around there are some posts regarding this, i think the replacement part includes the external handle that will require painting but believe this can be separated and doen without changing the external handle ?

@Ads_Essex didnt you do this ?

Reactions: mmi
Hi,
Looking for some help; hoping someone has had experience of this & can give me pointers.

Just gone away for a trip & the Tailgate has stopped releasing from the outside (2017 Caravelle).
Electronic switch, and mechanical override on inside of tailgate are both working (I'm having to climb into the boot over the back seats to open it everytime!)
I did pop out the rubber from under the external handle & was a little damp inside (likely from washing ahead of the trip).
I left rubber open to let it dry, this did fix for next few times opening the tailgate, then stopped again!!
Middle 'boot' button on keyfob doesn't unlock the tailgate either - but never has (since i bought it a year ago).

Look like I need to check the microswitch (jumping/shorting it with a piece of cable) & possibly replace the assembly/switch.
2 questions...

1. To get to the internal switch assembly, I have to remove the plastic internal panel/card from the tailgate. Looking for tips on how to do this (can't find anything on here/youtube).
- Caravelle so seems to look a little different to Transporter tailgate - see photo
- Need to remove surround from 'child lock' switch (looks like 2 pin holes to do so - is this a special tool?) - see photo
- Wanted to check if there is a specific process/knack to this before I start yanking out clips/brackets/breaking things...

2. Is there anything else I'm missing, that may not be the microswitch?
- Wanted to check before I start yanking out clips/brackets/breaking things...

Let me know if anything else I need to share alongside all this...

Thanks in advance!
Duffer.

View attachment 158748View attachment 158749View attachment 158750
I thought my middle key button didn’t work as it didn’t ‘pop’ the tailgate. It doesn’t do that. It’ll just flash the hazards once and ‘activate’ the ECU to allow you to open the tailgate once with the handle without unlocking the van.

Pointless really!

You can adjust BCM coding so the tailgate will actually release when the remote key fob "middle" button is pressed.

You can adjust BCM coding so the tailgate will actually release when the remote key fob "middle" button is pressed.
That’s interesting. I don’t have VCDS, but I assume it’s not possible in Carista?

This is not an uncommon fault, it is the switch in the external handle that is faulty
The interior release button and the external release handle are wired together and use the same cables to signal the door to release so you know the wiring is good as the internal button is working

To fix it you need to remove the tailgate internal panels and replace the external switch, i cant offer much more help as its not something i have done myself but if you have a search around there are some posts regarding this, i think the replacement part includes the external handle that will require painting but believe this can be separated and doen without changing the external handle ?

Thanks, Pauly. Really helpful. Makes total sense.

…appreciate any tips/advice from anyone to remove the inner tailgate panel (including child-lock thing!) described in question 1 above.

Thanks…

I didn’t have this issue (touch wood) but did fit a tailgate soft-touch button - @Duffer if you look on my threads you’ll see a Tailgate conversion thread where I list the parts (and possibly touch on fitting). It’s an easy job once the internal trim panel is off (which I can’t advise, as I don’t have a Caravelle).
Good luck!

If it's any help, I've just taken the lower trim panel off a shuttle and that's a straight pull off - worth prising out the close button from the bottom edge and disconnecting so you not left hanging! The main panel does take some shifting - get some plastic trim tools or kitchen utensils under the edge so you don't get fingers trapped like I did. Oh yes and the pull strap needs to come off too!

Thanks @Ads_Essex & @Steved55.
'straight pull off' it is!!

Side note; the external tailgate release is working very occasionally - guessing this is normal symptom of it being on it's way out...

Hi there, i realise that you've probably sorted the issue now, (i don't come on the forum that often as you can see, lol) but i had this problem and after stripping the rear down (T6 kombi) and doing some tests i found that the rememdy was - get the tailgate open however you can, then with the tailgate open get in the vehicle and start it up, engine running, then shut it down, close the tailgate and it has reset itself. i did a vid for youtube showing what i'd done if you want to view it, but try that if you're still having the issue :)

Reactions: Zen
I have recently started having problems with my tailgate showing open on the MFD and the cab lights activating. Upon checking I found the the tailgate was sitting slightly proud in the profile. When closing the tailgate again I hear a motor/ swich engaging, but then release again almost immediately. This fault is intermittent at the moment, OK for a day or, then becomes problematic again.
Anyone have any suggestions as to the fault and what is needed to fix it.

Hi, I had the same problem, how to open the electric tailgate on a converted vT6.1 Combi, I had an internal switch fitted and it solved the problem however, although the internal switch works perfectly during the day, when I need to get up in the middle of the night it doesn't work, neither does the button on the key fob. The auto electrician suspects it goes into "sleep mode" when not used for a longer time, does anybody know how to stop this happening?

Hi, I had the same problem, how to open the electric tailgate on a converted vT6.1 Combi, I had an internal switch fitted and it solved the problem however, although the internal switch works perfectly during the day, when I need to get up in the middle of the night it doesn't work, neither does the button on the key fob. The auto electrician suspects it goes into "sleep mode" when not used for a longer time, does anybody know how to stop this happening?
If the internal switch is just wired in parallel with the external switch, it’ll only work if the tailgate is ‘unlocked’. I’ve added one to mine and if it’s locked, I have to unlock the van, and then I can open it from the internal release switch.

Reactions: mmi
I did think it might be something like that but we hadn’t locked the doors when we were sleeping in the van. I tried using the key fob to lock and unlock the doors but the new internal switch still wouldn’t work. I exited through one of the sliding side doors which opened normally and re-entered by the tailgate that opened perfectly from the outside and closed using the internal switch.

Hi all,

We just had the rear tailgate actuator im guessing go man down.... I stripped and checked all fuses with no issues. Only issue i can tell is the actuator that pulls the latch in last 5-10mm. Was think recon as brand new £200 plus or even just leave it now and unplug the lead making sure the actuator is pulled in full any suggestions!!

Back