[GUIDE] Raising the floor height to match OEM rails

Here's a photo of my side step.
To fill in the gaps where the small radius are I made some wooden blocks covered them in carpet then screwed them down underneath the step.View attachment 95363
My build is still very much in the planning stage but, until I saw the photo above, I was thinking a Cali bed on rails would best suit us for versatility but I also want the front double passenger seat on a rusty-lee swivel. I'd be interested to know if any one has any experience of fitting both. I'm concerned that raising the floor would stop the swivel seat base plate from turning round completely.

Finally fitted the b-pillars back, modified to fit the threshold. The threshold is actually loose for now, not fitted into the base channel and it's fine, since it can't move in any direction. It's trapped under the B-pillar trims either end and the mscraft base under the passenger seat:
PXL_20210517_204919767.jpg

PXL_20210517_204505190.jpgPXL_20210517_203633364.jpg

My build is still very much in the planning stage but, until I saw the photo above, I was thinking a Cali bed on rails would best suit us for versatility but I also want the front double passenger seat on a rusty-lee swivel. I'd be interested to know if any one has any experience of fitting both. I'm concerned that raising the floor would stop the swivel seat base plate from turning round completely.
As you can see, I've fitted a cali bed on rails with mscraft sliding swivel base. Required the base plate to be jacked up slightly on longer bolts at the rear to clear the floor but rolls and swivels nicely without touching the rails now.

As you can see, I've fitted a cali bed on rails with mscraft sliding swivel base. Required the base plate to be jacked up slightly on longer bolts at the rear to clear the floor but rolls and swivels nicely without touching the rails now.
Thanks Andy

Hello, the vinyls that they put as the last layer, it has to be 2mm, but what kind of vinyl do they put on? is it rigid? or do you have a certain tolerance?
I only find 2.5mm roll vinyl

thanks!

Hello, the vinyls that they put as the last layer, it has to be 2mm, but what kind of vinyl do they put on? is it rigid? or do you have a certain tolerance?

thanks!
look for altro safety floor. this is what is usually used. It comes in 2 or 3 mm thicknesses. Look at the usual conversion companies and ebay. Better if bought as ready cut to shape

Reactions: amv

thanks!
Or lvt, luxury vinyl tiles. Try Karndean and other brands

Reactions: amv
I finished mine just where the cab floor started. I think and further towards the cab and it would be difficult to get the trim for the seat base on and off. The only other thing to consider would be access the to bottom seatbelt bolt on the driver side. I had to remove mine after I did the floor and it was difficult to get the socket in. I added an image so you can see how far from the rail the floor finishes. View attachment 108917
In the photo above, did you cut the floor to go around the B pillar trim? Or did you cut the B pillar trim to sit on top of the floor?

Thanks

A year after putting it down, the floor is back out to make carpet lining easier. So it's project Karndean this weekend

PXL_20220402_120106793.jpg

Look familiar? A good start today. This flooring is very rewarding to do. I went with a light coloured design strip partly because that's what my local shop had spare boxes of today but also to brighten up the interior as anthracite carpet drains the interior of light. They sold me two boxes of design strips for £20

PXL_20220402_181249743.jpg

Look familiar? A good start today. This flooring is very rewarding to do. I went with a light coloured design strip partly because that's what my local shop had spare boxes of today but also to brighten up the interior as anthracite carpet drains the interior of light. They sold me two boxes of design strips for £20

View attachment 151506
Looking good. What exactly is tha flooring?

A few more pics for eye candy and the process. Where I have my extra bits of my "one piece" floor I added metal tabs to keep the pieces at the same height. It almost worked, the floor is only 1mm higher where they join, and I could still remove them and hence the entire ply floor, though after fitting the sodding rail covers I am officially done with floor building. Enjoy...

PXL_20220402_120059865.MP.jpg

PXL_20220402_142717156~2.jpg

PXL_20220402_153805577.MP.jpg

PXL_20220402_181249743~2.jpg

PXL_20220403_175407198.jpg

PXL_20220403_182835044~2.jpg

PXL_20220403_121503088.jpg

PXL_20220404_192656198.MP~2.jpg

Hi,
I have just finished this on my own van. The kombi mat was a good idea that I picked up from this forum which I used myself along with 12mm ply floor and 2mm Altro walkway.
A few tips.. or things I wish I would have know before hand.

One piece ply if possible so you don’t see joins through the Altro floor. I made my own an joined it with biscuit

When making the cut outs for the rails in the ply you need make a ‘pocket’ for the springs on the rails to fully go back otherwise it will be very hard to get the trims back on when all finished.

I found the floor a bit too flexible with only the mat so I put some wood at the busy areas for a bit more support. See picture. Also gave me something to fix to.

I cut my floor square where the step is using my kombi step trim thinking it would be okay but now I have looked at the caravelle ones they have a small radius cut out so it has given me a problem which I haven’t fixed yet. I have just added a 14mm spacer under the kombi step ‘for now’

View attachment 95295

View attachment 95296
Hi, can you remember the thickness of the wooden batons you used? Thanks

Ok, I now have some rails installed.

Screenshot 2022-07-28 at 10.33.06.png

But I now would like some clarification please. I read that people put a 12mm ply on top of the OEM floor mat, then 2 mm Karndene or similar giving 14mm. However I seem to have 17mm from the top of the OEM floor to the bottom of the rail trim. This would leave me a 3mm gap and the rail trims would be wobbly? Any suggestions?

Screenshot 2022-07-28 at 10.33.28.png

Secondly, what did people do with the B pillar trim? Did you leave this trim as is and cut the ply floor to fit (can this trim be removed if needed) or did you have to floor going under and trim the plastic to fit over the top. ( Obviously then the trim could be removed easily). Photos of the finish would be appreciated.

tempImagevJBeSb.png

20220728_185245.jpg
I cut my 12mm floor back so I didn't have to modify the B pillar trim.

You can see part of the rear floor mat but as it matches the front floor mat it looks fine.

The floor is oem floor mat then 12mm ply, then 2mm Altro flooring this worked out ok when fitting the california rail trims.

View attachment 166974
I cut my 12mm floor back so I didn't have to modify the B pillar trim.

You can see part of the rear floor mat but as it matches the front floor mat it looks fine.

The floor is oem floor mat then 12mm ply, then 2mm Altro flooring this worked out ok when fitting the california rail trims.
Thanks. Interesting, I’ve never thought of that, or seen it before. Any more pics?

Back