[GUIDE] Raising the floor height to match OEM rails

A couple more puzzles/thoughts.

I sent off to Karndean for a few samples to test colours.

9D1AB118-8F56-4998-8384-52FB89D23098.jpegEBDF6E55-2215-4A41-8FDB-99DD734B4A90.jpeg

Not sure I really like any.

However this gave me another problem. I swam to have quite a large gap that I can't imagine being close by the glue layer. The floor is OEM rubber mat, with 12mm ply and then the Karndean sample:
tempImagenkx0qW.png

I even went and measured the pky. It's 11.96mm, so I'm puzzled as to why doesn't mine match up to the OEM rails.

A couple more puzzles/thoughts.

I sent off to Karndean for a few samples to test colours.

View attachment 167617View attachment 167618

Not sure I really like any.

However this gave me another problem. I swam to have quite a large gap that I can't imagine being close by the glue layer. The floor is OEM rubber mat, with 12mm ply and then the Karndean sample:
View attachment 167619

I even went and measured the pky. It's 11.96mm, so I'm puzzled as to why doesn't mine match up to the OEM rails.
Yes, that is odd. And whilst I’m not a floorer, I’d agree with you that the glue isn’t likely to fill that hole gap.
What is the gap measurement, exactly?

Yes, that is odd. And whilst I’m not a floorer, I’d agree with you that the glue isn’t likely to fill that hole gap.
What is the gap measurement, exactly?
Not sure why the forum has started rotating my photos.
tempImage0LPsgD.pngtempImageHVQX4x.pngtempImageV3fD5d.png

Personally I’d be tempted to lay it and fill any gaps with a bead of silicone sealant.

what about using a underlay? im pretty sure LVT underlay is 2 or 3mm?
Hi been thinking about this and a bit of a google. Firstly LVT is 1.5mm.
Secondly if I put that down it would give a bit of flex but also I wouldn't be able to glue it down or glue the floor to it?

Hi been thinking about this and a bit of a google. Firstly LVT is 1.5mm.
Secondly if I put that down it would give a bit of flex but also I wouldn't be able to glue it down or glue the floor to it?
What about putting the underlay underneath the ply?

I was hoping not to have to lift the ply out.

Hmmm this site do a range from 1.5mm to 3mm with and without vapour barriers.

LINK

I still keep wondering why mine is not the correct height. I'm beginning to think this van is cursed :/ , nothing has gone smoothly without hiccups/issues :(

Sorry, me again.

I think I have a further problem. I don't think it's going to be as easy as putting a 2mm roll underneath. I have just been to a local shop that sells Karndean. Apart from the fact there are different thicknesses my floor seems to run out. I placed 1 piece under the front section of rail and this is the result. Its out by a mile:
tempImage1oTghH.png
tempImageXMeYJh.png

Does anyone want to buy an effing van :(

tempImagehwyCCi.png

• Sad
Reactions: CAB
Sorry, me again.

I think I have a further problem. I don't think it's going to be as easy as putting a 2mm roll underneath. I have just been to a local shop that sells Karndean. Apart from the fact there are different thicknesses my floor seems to run out. I placed 1 piece under the front section of rail and this is the result. Its out by a mile:

Does anyone want to buy an effing van :(

That is bizarre. So either the metal floor, the rubber mat, or the ply is out - or the rail isn’t positioned flat against the floor?
Can it be packed out at the shallower end, or is it out at different points?

That is bizarre. So either the metal floor, the rubber mat, or the ply is out - or the rail isn’t positioned flat against the floor?
Can it be packed out at the shallower end, or is it out at different points?
Rail is def against the floor. I can't see the rail being bent.
Surely the ply can't be out by so much. I need to measure. I can't see it being the rubber mat either.
Bizarre.

Is it possible the weight of the bench seat on the rubber mat has compressed it? That seat is heavy...

Is it possible the weight of the bench seat on the rubber mat has compressed it? That seat is heavy...
I suppose that is a possibility. I hope/wonder f it will spring back if it is. Or if it's permanently compressed.

I feel your headache on this one! I’d try some digital callipers and measure around to try and understand where the problem is. I’d guess on the rubber floor being deformed as everything else is more rigid and shouldn’t be out.

A possible fix although not very neat.. could be to get some glazing shims or something similar and push them under the places with gaps where needed. Then put them all under the plywood raising the floor where needed.

A sure fix would be to fit batons under the plywood. You could set the heights individually on each one with more or less sikaflex.

Hope you get it sorted!

I feel your headache on this one! I’d try some digital callipers and measure around to try and understand where the problem is. I’d guess on the rubber floor being deformed as everything else is more rigid and shouldn’t be out.

A possible fix although not very neat.. could be to get some glazing shims or something similar and push them under the places with gaps where needed. Then put them all under the plywood raising the floor where needed.

A sure fix would be to fit batons under the plywood. You could set the heights individually on each one with more or less sikaflex.

Hope you get it sorted!
Thanks.
I do think i will need to fit batons.
I have some digital callipers.
I will have to take some measurements.
Problems for me are firstly getting the 12mm ply floor out on my own and then I've nowhere to store it whilst i do the work.
I was hoping to get it done for busfest but its not looking good at the moment.
Cheers.

@Wano @Ads_Essex @paddy26 Thanks for your input for far.

I have been out measuring the height of the rails from the metal floor of the van. This is what I can up with. I thought it should have been about 37mm (from earlier I this thread.
mine however seem consistently around 38mm. Apart from a section in the dashed box near the front of the right hand rail, where the height seems to vary a lot, up to 41.3mm which is 2-3mm more than the rest.

tempImageAn9Qsi.png

Edit: I put a long piece of angled aluminium and a spirit level on top of the rails (in the problem area) and they seem to be straight along the top. Baffling.

@Wano @Ads_Essex @paddy26 Thanks for your input for far.

I have been out measuring the height of the rails from the metal floor of the van. This is what I can up with. I thought it should have been about 37mm (from earlier I this thread.
mine however seem consistently around 38mm. Apart from a section in the dashed box near the front of the right hand rail, where the height seems to vary a lot, up to 41.3mm which is 2-3mm more than the rest.

View attachment 167995

Edit: I put a long piece of angled aluminium and a spirit level on top of the rails (in the problem area) and they seem to be straight along the top. Baffling.
Anyone any ideas please? I'm struggling to work out how to go forward with this?

Back