[GUIDE] Raising the floor height to match OEM rails

PXL_20210305_211210659.jpg
Simple jigsaw cut will stop it moving in any direction once covered.
PXL_20210305_211717018.jpg
And definitely 20mm thick to flat floor (not ridges or depressions)

Last edited:
Been fitting the kombi floor this weekend, front yesterday: https://www.t6forum.com/threads/what-have-you-done-to-your-van-today.6825/post-361496

Also, been adjusting the MS Craft swivel to work over the floor, lots of trial and error to get it to work but it's working. Here's how close it is the the rail if you leave it on standard the fixings that it came with:

PXL_20210305_205017985.jpg

Going to fit the Kombi mat rear section today. I've been using cardboard templates to take the position from the van to the mat.

PXL_20210307_083304435.jpg
PXL_20210307_103211459.jpg
Then, in the van, I've just been using household scissors to cut notches for each of the clips on the sides of the rails, and the end pins that stick out near the end of the rails. As you can see, I've done this part with the bench still in the van and hence the main silver trim has to stay on, as the wheels roll on the silver "tracks" .

I cut my floor square where the step is using my kombi step trim thinking it would be okay but now I have looked at the caravelle ones they have a small radius cut out so it has given me a problem which I haven’t fixed yet. I have just added a 14mm spacer under the kombi step ‘for now’
Thanks for this tip, it's what this forum is all about and it's going to save a lot of people making a similar mistake .

As a result, I picked up a step when the rails were fitted knowing that it would be useful to have it ready when building up the floor.

Nice work! looks like you’ve had a busy weekend too.
I’m happy that something I overlooked has helped someone.
I would be interested to see how you finish the edge of the floor where it steps down into the front. I still haven’t done mine because busy playing with solar power at the moment.

PXL_20210307_184458768.jpg
For now I have a temporary MDF setup to allow the swivel to slide (it needs 650mm of room to roll back from the rear seat studs). I will probably follow others' lead and use a piece of tile edging, glued to the metal floor, as a threshold between the cab and rear, but I don't need to walk through with my twin seat.
PXL_20210307_112059045.jpg
Little nugget from my fitting MDF round the rails... the silver tracks on top of the rails have a bead sticking out that secures them in the clips. My rough measurements says I need to leave a 3mm gap along the side of the rails, and another 3mm where the clips are.

Hi,
I have just finished this on my own van. The kombi mat was a good idea that I picked up from this forum which I used myself along with 12mm ply floor and 2mm Altro walkway.
A few tips.. or things I wish I would have know before hand.

One piece ply if possible so you don’t see joins through the Altro floor. I made my own an joined it with biscuit

When making the cut outs for the rails in the ply you need make a ‘pocket’ for the springs on the rails to fully go back otherwise it will be very hard to get the trims back on when all finished.

I found the floor a bit too flexible with only the mat so I put some wood at the busy areas for a bit more support. See picture. Also gave me something to fix to.

I cut my floor square where the step is using my kombi step trim thinking it would be okay but now I have looked at the caravelle ones they have a small radius cut out so it has given me a problem which I haven’t fixed yet. I have just added a 14mm spacer under the kombi step ‘for now’

View attachment 95295

View attachment 95296
What length did you all actually cut the floor, as we can obviously choose how far under the front seats to go (and cut the cab floor for a threshold)?

I finished mine just where the cab floor started. I think and further towards the cab and it would be difficult to get the trim for the seat base on and off. The only other thing to consider would be access the to bottom seatbelt bolt on the driver side. I had to remove mine after I did the floor and it was difficult to get the socket in. I added an image so you can see how far from the rail the floor finishes. 6A95AAD8-6FE4-4EB0-BEDB-7882AB7F49B4.jpeg

PXL_20210319_113540651.jpg

The rear mat and the front mat overlap with a diagonal section cut in both. So I could go shorter at 2450mm and put a edge trim, or go longer at 2460mm and cut down through the cab carpet to create a vertical edge for the trim.

[The position of your rails didn't help me, I'm afraid, as I have different rails and positioned 110mm back from standard]

P.S. I don't have trim on the back of my seat base yet , and the twin is in a swivel which I will have to cut in, in any case

Probably it’s down to personal preference. I tried to finish right on top of where the rubber mats join, thinking I would be using a 90 degree edge trim. If you finished the floor shorter you could use say a 45 degree edge trim and have a slope between the floor levels. A picture from the driver base may give you a better reference, I took the trim off and measured from the metal base.4A28FA9E-58DE-4C12-9126-252711614A9B.jpegCF73A981-7573-45AA-8A69-EDCDFEC61629.jpeg

I finished mine just where the cab floor started. I think and further towards the cab and it would be difficult to get the trim for the seat base on and off. The only other thing to consider would be access the to bottom seatbelt bolt on the driver side. I had to remove mine after I did the floor and it was difficult to get the socket in. I added an image so you can see how far from the rail the floor finishes. View attachment 108917
My seat belt is on a spline head, so don't seem to have that problem. Edit: I see yours is too

Awesome, thanks for the measurement.

I think I'm inclined to take the B-pillar trim off and cut it shorter once the floor's in, and also accommodate a cutout in the floor for the seat belt bolt to come out too. Thanks for the tips, it helps so much.

Edit :trim like this might be nice : ANODISED ALUMINIUM DOOR FLOOR BAR EDGE TRIM THRESHOLD RAMP 100 CM LENGTH | eBay

Better still, a 14mm ramp, which means I can go shorter on the floor itself: Door Threshold Bars - Shop Our Massive Range Of Quality Door Bars

In the end I've gone for an off the shelf matt silver flexible door threshold that allows for 14mm difference in height. Figured I could always spray it or wrap it later if colour is not what I want. Most probably go black to match the swivel and seat base colour

Last edited:
Threshold-wise I copied @andythom188 and overlapped my the rear mat with the front mat. It’ll want a slice of dodomat underneath the front mat (in the gap between the seats) to bring it up level. Jobs a good’un and it means no threshold to mess about with. (Sorry, I haven’t got any photos and I’m stuck at work ATM)

Few more jobs ticked off tonight.

Insulated inside the ‘C’ pillars and fitted the covers I made yesterday.
View attachment 20558

put the rear panels back in to tidy up the back while I decide how to increase them in depth to cover the door motors without the need for the plastic covers. I’ve also tidied up the wiring looms down both sides of the van ready for fitting the pelmets.

View attachment 20559

Plasidyed the carpet threshold strip so it’s the same anthracite colour as the steps and packed the cab carpet up so it’s the same height as the Caravelle floor

View attachment 20560
View attachment 20561
Another example above, but we have an MS Craft swivel base to consider, hence:
PXL_20210320_075712860~2.jpg
PXL_20210319_222837379.jpg
PXL_20210319_220930345~2.jpg
PXL_20210319_221155597.jpg
So setting our ply/top floor back from the cab mat by 49mm. Earlier in this thread there's an example backed off all the way to the end of the B-pillar, but I'm not keen on that as you lose foot space for moving around the van at the front.
PXL_20210320_090550213~2.jpg

Last edited:
I see, so your rear mat retains its original length, and it’s just the ply that will be shorter by 49mm.

How is that threshold fixed?

I see, so your rear mat retains its original length, and it’s just the ply that will be shorter by 49mm.

How is that threshold fixed?
Self-adhesive, for now, on the kombi floor mat

What with? Hope it lasts.

Nice not to have visible fixings. I like the shape of this threshold.

@Deaky mentions ‘plasidyed’, what is this? Possibly a typo or a brand name or technique that is new to me.

Back