[GUIDE] Raising the floor height to match OEM rails

I cut my floor around the pillar, the flooring is tight up but the ply had a bit more of a gap. Only a couple of millimetres but it helped get the ply in easily and also will allow enough wiggle room to get the trim off if I ever needed to.

I’m not sure why you have a 17mm to make up though... if you’re making the floor yourself maybe use 15mm ply. Or some sound deadening under your oem floor?

I would also check you have 17mm all the way down the rail. For some reason I had to pack my ply up towards the rear of the van.
100323b3-a114-42be-bb74-7743cb32cbd6-jpeg.166991
35A4F566-F913-4E17-B35A-546C0E0B5221.jpeg

@BJC_9 where did you get the edge trim from. I’ve been looking for something just like that to finish the edge of my floor.

I cut my floor around the pillar, the flooring is tight up but the ply had a bit more of a gap. Only a couple of millimetres but it helped get the ply in easily and also will allow enough wiggle room to get the trim off if I ever needed to.

I’m not sure why you have a 17mm to make up though... if you’re making the floor yourself maybe use 15mm ply. Or some sound deadening under your oem floor?

I would also check you have 17mm all the way down the rail. For some reason I had to pack my ply up towards the rear of the van.
100323b3-a114-42be-bb74-7743cb32cbd6-jpeg.166991
View attachment 166992
I will do a bit more investigation tomorrow.

Also trimmed the plastics. However I prefer @BJC_9’s approach. Hadn’t thought of that.

550DA1FA-CDD6-4F83-BA50-5191B508809C.jpeg

Good to see you’re cracking on with the cali system, it was looking like you were going to sell the lot. What changed your mind?

Good to see you’re cracking on with the cali system, it was looking like you were going to sell the lot. What changed your mind?
I did sell the seat. And I have a brand new set of SWB rails for sale. I had some LWB rails fitted. Long story lol.

I've just been trying to work this out. It seems the fitter made a mess of cutting my mat. Now i need to work out a solution to this missing bit. Or will it be ok as it will never be stepped on?
7465F6C5-B368-4702-9DD3-7181D8641A1A.jpeg

I've just been trying to work this out. It seems the fitter made a mess of cutting my mat. Now i need to work out a solution to this missing bit. Or will it be ok as it will never be stepped on?
View attachment 167040
I would definitely pack the gap out with something so it is the same level as your mat it will make laying the ply floor easier.
Also top tip - when you cut the slots in the ply floor make sure the ply doesn't rub on the spring clips that hold the rail covers as they will squeak and drive you nuts.

I would definitely pack the gap out with something so it is the same level as your mat it will make laying the ply floor easier.
Also top tip - when you cut the slots in the ply floor make sure the ply doesn't rub on the spring clips that hold the rail covers as they will squeak and drive you nuts.
Thanks, Im trying to decide what to pack it with. Im not cutting the slots, Im getting one CNC cut. :)

This is how much will be exposed with the trim fitted.

If you were worried about the strength you could stick some layers of sound deadening to the floor to build it up to the correct level.

IMG20220801092946.jpg

This is how much will be exposed with the trim fitted.

If you were worried about the strength you could stick some layers of sound deadening to the floor to build it up to the correct level.

View attachment 167271
Thanks, looks like it won't be critical, that's a good idea about sound deadening, I've got loads left over. Guess that's the job for today. Thanks again :thumbsup::thumbsup:

@BJC_9 where did you get the edge trim from. I’ve been looking for something just like that to finish the edge of my floor.
I didn’t want an edge trim, so just flapped over the edge of the cab mat and it works absolutely fine. Also means you don’t stub your toe / ball of your foot on the trim.
Also trimmed the plastics. However I prefer @BJC_9’s approach. Hadn’t thought of that.

View attachment 167014
I trimmed the plastics too, so it means they can come out easy
View attachment 167040
I had a few bits that had torn (second-hand mat) but gaffertape sorted them. Once it’s covered, provided the height is good, you wouldn’t notice.

B68A70B5-EA6F-4BCB-BACC-3888CE4137A4.jpeg

I now have a ply floor in. So I now have to figure out how to attach the small bits that make it a 1 piece. These are on the nearside. I also need to either get a California or Caravelle step and rear threshold cover. However I did see a conversion company that left the lower step in and had LEDs along the edge of the ply. Photos on the website were not detailed enough to see how it was done. They did have a list of people you could contact to see conversions but I can’t remember who the converter was.

Then the decision needs to be Altro Wood effect or Karndean. Karndean being favourite at the moment as I imagine it will be easier to fit, being in pieces, but I could be terribly mistaken about that.

Reactions: CAB
Glad to see it’s coming along!
View attachment 167515

I now have a ply floor in. So I now have to figure out how to attach the small bits that make it a 1 piece. These are on the nearside. I also need to either get a California or Caravelle step and rear threshold cover. However I did see a conversion company that left the lower step in and had LEDs along the edge of the ply. Photos on the website were not detailed enough to see how it was done. They did have a list of people you could contact to see conversions but I can’t remember who the converter was.

Then the decision needs to be Altro Wood effect or Karndean. Karndean being favourite at the moment as I imagine it will be easier to fit, being in pieces, but I could be terribly mistaken about that.
If you’re taking about the corners, you could router both sides and affix flat plates with shallow screws.

As the step lips over the floor, any lighting would need to look great otherwise it might look pants. You can pack out the underside, but may find a gap at the bottom of the step where it meets the door rubber seal.

I thought I saw Van-X or someone similar had started selling deeper steps?

One thing Karndean is good for is rigidity. It’s thick and strong. Can’t comment on Altro, have not had a look at it.

Glad to see it’s coming along!

If you’re taking about the corners, you could router both sides and affix flat plates with shallow screws.

As the step lips over the floor, any lighting would need to look great otherwise it might look pants. You can pack out the underside, but may find a gap at the bottom of the step where it meets the door rubber seal.

I thought I saw Van-X or someone similar had started selling deeper steps?

One thing Karndean is good for is rigidity. It’s thick and strong. Can’t comment on Altro, have not had a look at it.
Thanks.

Unfortunately I dropped my new router and broke the handle off. Its now useless :( as it won't adjust the height.

I will have a look for the lighting bit. Yes, I need to work out the correct colour for the steps, as I will also need a drivers door step that's vented for the heater when that's fitted.

Back