[Guide] Mobile Solar Panels ? . . . - How I Did It -

@EdH

on your kit . .

View attachment 119097

you can get an Anderson extension lead : 5m twin core extension cable with 50A battery plugs for: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

and and Anderson battery connection : 0.5m 4.0mm cable with 50A battery plug on one end, a: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

that should get you the range you need . . . back to your battery.

@Dellmassive top man, you see in that photo above, they have given me a 5m of that black cable to extend the range of the panels to the controller, but I need the opposite. Can I reuse that cable instead and replace it with Anderson connectos and make the extension that way? It looks thinner than one with the crock clips which goes away from the controler? Is panel cable 4mm and battery supply cable 6mm?

technically you could. . . . . . but i wouldn't.

so, no, i would keep that as a PV extension cable. (its different cable inside and outer jacket)

and just get an additional Anderson extension lead. -

i guarantee you will end up using that PV MC4 - MC4 extension cable.

Sorry - i just couldnt help myself -

- RENOGY 200W Solar Suitcase Kit -

PT1

The title says it all . . . . . . .

Renogy makes some outstanding kit . . . . .and this 200w setup make no acception.

i already have the 100W solar suitcase kit and that works great . .

lets see what Renogy have done with the new 200W version.

++++

first off lets look at the elephant in the room . . . . Its large, well at 200w it has to be,

this is it in the hard-shell protective case. . . Thank s to Mrs Dellmassive for the Photo-shoot !! its supposed to demonstrate the scale / size.

View attachment 119074View attachment 119075

out the case we have the panel folded in half as a briefcase style . .

View attachment 119076

then fully open . . . . 100W + 100w panels.

View attachment 119077

on the inside / backside we have the two panels mounted in a study ALU frame, hinged at the center.

and the included PWM Voyager 20A controller on a hinged bracket - so you can swing it down when deployed and see the display.

View attachment 119078

having a closer look we see the panel specs . .

View attachment 119079

and the Voyager 20A PWM controller . . . which is great.

i already have one of these i purchased last year . . . a very capable controller.

View attachment 119081

the rest of the kit included . . . connection cables with fused crock clips,

carry pouch, and user guide for the controller.

they use MC4 connectors for the PV and battery side . . . which i dont like, so ill be changing that over at some point soon. (anderson plugs for battery side)

View attachment 119082

here we can see the Panel connection and bypass diode . . . . notice they haven't rubber potted it like the Lensun units have.

View attachment 119083

this is the rear of the controller, showing the MC4 and connections to the splash proof controller.

View attachment 119084

size wise . . . . this is the 200w unit compared to my existing 100W suitcase kit. .

View attachment 119085

deployed they look like this . . .

The included adjustable stand works a charm. . .

View attachment 119086View attachment 119087

power wise . . . . . i plugged it into the Victron 100/30 while testing . . and got 148W (10.6A charge rate into Lifpo4 battery) in late afternoon . . . so very happy with that. =]

View attachment 119088

part of the other testing . . . you can see here the size comparison on the LENSUN 100W faxable panels . . .

View attachment 119089

so im well impressed. . .

charge average is around 6A per 100w, so id expect 12A / 200W max from this setup. . . . . i got over 10A. in late afternoon UK June sun. =]

Go have a look at the Renogy site . . . . they are on offer ATM.

plus they gave me a 10% discount code to pass on to all . . . .

Happy Looking =]

++++

View attachment 119080
I wondered how long it would be. Did you use the discount code I posted?

I think I will have to make some ables up to connect one panel to the leisure and one to the starter.

@czmate1999 is thinking about one after seeing mine at Bala.

Last edited:
technically you could. . . . . . but i wouldn't.

so, no, i would keep that as a PV extension cable. (its different cable inside and outer jacket)

and just get an additional Anderson extension lead. -

i guarantee you will end up using that PV MC4 - MC4 extension cable.
Aha, fair enough. I will order as per your earlier post. Many thanks for your valuable advice its really appreciated.

the supplied PWM controller is just a cheap unit to get you going.

i would swap that out asap.

The Victron MPPT unit are the daddys . . . durable, reliable, capable. - plus have a wid operating range.

yes they will work with your Lensun panels . . . basically plug and play. (settings and monitoring via BT APP)

and come with a brilliant APP to monitor everything on your phone . .

also MPPT will harvest more from your panels that the cheaper PWM.

that why most kits come with a cheap PWM controller . . . . and any1 serious about solar will upgrade to MPPT asap.

see here:

and more:

SOLAR:

This is the sort of data you can get from a Victron MPPT . .

1623268911846.png

1623268924266.png1623268940130.png1623268955240.png

the supplied PWM controller is just a cheap unit to get you going.

i would swap that out asap.

The Victron MPPT unit are the daddys . . . durable, reliable, capable. - plus have a wid operating range.

yes they will work with your Lensun panels . . . basically plug and play. (settings and monitoring via BT APP)

and come with a brilliant APP to monitor everything on your phone . .

also MPPT will harvest more from your panels that the cheaper PWM.

that why most kits come with a cheap PWM controller . . . . and any1 serious about solar will upgrade to MPPT asap.

see here:

and more:

SOLAR:

This is the sort of data you can get from a Victron MPPT . .

View attachment 119110

View attachment 119111View attachment 119112View attachment 119113
wow, thanks for this. i might have an early birthday present for my self :) Much appreciated. best place to source one of these?

for your setup id recommend a - Victron SMART solar 75/15

that will future proof you.

++++

i use Amazon, ( next day delivery with prime )

1623271120686.png1623271100703.png

Reactions: EdH
also . . . fwiw

if that was my kit . . .

i would be putting an inline fuse here on that red cable near the red clamp. -

1623301609540.png

why?

well that cable section is long enough to get you into trouble, say it was clamped to the battery under the seat and out the door . . . the door could be slammed shut shorting out the battery to body work via that piece of unfused red cable. - not good.

remember fuse all connections to a battery - ATT the battery.

so safety first - i would add an in line fuse.

something like this will do. a 20A ATC blade fuse, crimped or soldered inline with heatshrink or cloth tape over the join.

1623301900017.png

Just tested my new system, rather cloudy here in Wales this afternoon. Plugged as advised, crocks onto batt (controler became alive and detected the batt, then plugged panel connector with a connector coming out of the controller, unfolded the panels and it started to slowly charge the battery producing only 1amp as its heavy cloud cover. @Dellmassive i have ordered those extension cable 5m to the batt, also ring terminals for the quick disconnect Anderson conn for the batteries w/t fuse so there will be no need for crocks. I have also ordered that Victron controller as suggested (coming tmrw).

At the end i folded the panels first, discon panel with the controller (and now fun started, I couldn't disconnect MC4 plugs, dear god i couldn't squeeze those clips to the side to unplug it, managed at the end but i can't feel tips of my fingers now :( then disconnected the crocks from the battery. I wish these MC4 are Anderson plugs as well as they are sooooo much easier to unplug, could these be changed? I think that i have seen on your system that there is Anderson plug from the panel lead and then into the controller?

FYI . . .

MC4 connectors need a tool to open them. - well its a million times easier. . . .

1623349116250.png

more here:

1623349147609.png

i have these too:

1623349222528.png

FYI . . .

MC4 connectors need a tool to open them. - well its a million times easier. . . .

View attachment 119176

more here:

View attachment 119177

i have these too:

View attachment 119178

Is it worth swapping them for Anderson ones?

Just tested my new system, rather cloudy here in Wales this afternoon. Plugged as advised, crocks onto batt (controler became alive and detected the batt, then plugged panel connector with a connector coming out of the controller, unfolded the panels and it started to slowly charge the battery producing only 1amp as its heavy cloud cover. @Dellmassive i have ordered those extension cable 5m to the batt, also ring terminals for the quick disconnect Anderson conn for the batteries w/t fuse so there will be no need for crocks. I have also ordered that Victron controller as suggested (coming tmrw).

At the end i folded the panels first, discon panel with the controller (and now fun started, I couldn't disconnect MC4 plugs, dear god i couldn't squeeze those clips to the side to unplug it, managed at the end but i can't feel tips of my fingers now :( then disconnected the crocks from the battery. I wish these MC4 are Anderson plugs as well as they are sooooo much easier to unplug, could these be changed? I think that i have seen on your system that there is Anderson plug from the panel lead and then into the controller?
see above for the MC4 tools.

yes you can technically use Anderson connectors for the PV side. ( thy are rated high enough spec wise) ( the 200w Renogy kit come that way - but ill be changing that soon)

but i like to have different connectors so its impossible to connect up wrongly.

Ie -

solar panels will ONLY connect on the PV side.

and battery connections will ONLY connect on the battery side via the Anderson connectors.

incorrect connections by mistake could be costly.

having Andersons on both sides leaves you a possibility on connecting up backwards - which is very bad.

here is an example of one of my MC4 wrenches . . .

1623351153029.png

1623351174530.png

1623351195227.png

Back