[Guide] How to retrofit a reversing camera Video

Hi all,

I have started a YouTube channel of How To Tutorial. This is a reversing camera install on a VW T6 2016 Transporter with an aftermarket head unit. It’s the tailgate model however the wiring is the same in any vehicle.

hope it’s of some use.

I'm really enjoying your video tutorials, well made!

I have followed this video which was great and the camera comes on when in reverse. I can also turn the reverse camera on manually in the settings in the head unit when not in reverse which must mean the camera is recieving power when not in reverse.

The problem I have is my camera has led lights which should only come on when in reverse but are staying on when the ignition is on.

The camera is talking power from the switched live at the back of the head unit so to only come on when I select reverse I assume I need to change this to take power from the reverse light instead. This would then lose the facility to turn the camera on manually when not in reverse not that I think I would particularly use this feature.

Does this make sense and is this my only option before I rewire the power feed to the camera?

Given up for today too cold and can't feel my feet.

In case this helps someone in the future who doesn't want the camera on all the time I tapped into the reverse light wire and ran another wire to the camera. I then installed a relay with reverse light input and ignition live input which uses the reverse trigger to turn on the camera via the ignition live which avoid the camera flicker which you would get with powering the camera from the reverse light. See picture of relay below.
Screenshot_20221226-113728.png

Back