[GUIDE] How to remove the top half of the bulkhead in a T6 panel van

Andysmee

Previously the last of the TSI's
VIP Member
T6 Legend
This is a partial guide - as removing the whole bulkhead is the subject of many a conversion thread elsewhere. But here's the nugget - there are bolts hidden in the cab headlining you need to release to remove the top half of the bulkhead:
PXL_20201024_135656657.jpg
Slide this trim from one side of the van to the other to reveal the bulkhead bolts. Don't try and prise it off.
Remove all the nuts from the top half of the bulkhead and the metal sheet can be removed.
Slide the trim back over to hide the join between the cab and the load space.
PXL_20201024_141203732.jpg

PXL_20210202_222215202.jpg
Continuing with this process, to remove the upper steel strips, you need to remove the B-pillar trim.
Starting with the top half of the trim it pulls away from the wall on robust clips. The bulkhead strip makes it difficult to pull out straight but keep.at it.
PXL_20210202_222220337.jpg
On the driver's side you can pull the lower trim off without unbolting anything, on the passenger side I removed the lower seat belt retaining spline bolt to get it off.
The top steel strips have three bolts and a 10mm spanner will get them off - bear in mind that you can't rotate the upper trim around the seat belt until the strip is removed, so it's awkward.
The lower steel strip needs a spot weld bit to drill out the welds. And the floor strip needs the welds cutting with a disk. More pics as I get to each...

Picked my van up a few weeks ago & it came with a full, factory fitted bulkhead. I decided I wanted to remove the top half, but for the time being, leave the lower section in place, although I may trim it down in height so that I can get full adjustment of my driver's seat, (the bulkhead restricts full rearwards movement of the drivers seat, which for taller drivers is a bit of a pain).

I had a quick go before Christmas by removing the visible 10mm nuts in the load area, but the top refused to budge & I suspected there must be more nuts above the headliner somewhere even though a mate had told me there weren't any above the headliner. So, I left it for another day when I had a bit more time & had had chance to make some investigations before I damaged something.

Anyway, turns out there are four Torx 30 screws located above the thin plastic roof trim in the cab area. Once I'd worked out, via YouTube !! where the plastic clips were that hold the plastic trim in place I used a tool I have to prise the trim off. With that trim off the four Torx 30 screws are visible & easily removed. With them out the top half of the bulkhead comes out very easily !!
For anybody doing this job the following pictures will be of help I hope.

It's best to start in the middle of this trim strip as it gives you some wiggle room to get the ends of the trim past the B-pillar trim once you get it free.
61A76B3B-C8C6-446E-BD25-4D6C9EA803B6.jpeg
Ideally, if you can locate the four plastic pegs you can insert a similar tool either side of the peg, which avoids breaking the pegs especially in cold weather !
AAC315E0-ED11-4F48-A2F7-C4166D5185F3.jpeg

With the plastic trim strip off, you can see three of the four Torx 30 screws that secure the top of the bulkhead in place. The small black washers next to each Torx screw are where the plastic roof trim clips locate.
DD74589E-B073-4AED-9C1F-3F2A824EFF57.jpeg

Top half of the bulkhead is now out & ready for the tip.

Back