[Guide] How To Line Your Own Van.

Are there any step by step distructions on how to remove the rear tailgate grey panel on here?

Are there any step by step distructions on how to remove the rear tailgate grey panel on here?
The normal panel? Wiper cover pulls off, unscrew the tailgate strap, pop the clips round the edge :thumbsup:

wiper cover seems tight though and scared of breaking it
Yeah it doesn't exactly fall off, I used a trim tool to help, it's quite flexible though so I remember having a nosey under it to find the clips

just noticed I never finished the story of my panels.. so, in the end, I used the 6mm ply with hidden clips with no issues.. I simply recessed each clip hole a little into the ply and they fit perfectly so i have strong 6mm panels and hidden clips.. it looks pretty good
This is exactly what I am looking at doing at the minute. My plan is to use the hardboard as a template for the 6mm ply and have the hidden clips but wasn't sure how to get them to fit the thicker ply. How did you recess the clips a little to get it to fit?

This is exactly what I am looking at doing at the minute. My plan is to use the hardboard as a template for the 6mm ply and have the hidden clips but wasn't sure how to get them to fit the thicker ply. How did you recess the clips a little to get it to fit?
I replied on another thread .. if you like I can upload a pic of the tool it’s just a rounded grinding stone used on a drill you only have to dish them out a little and voila .. 6 mm panels with hidden clips ... one caveat is the thicker panel will fight being curved a lot more than the 4 mm so you may have to use an occasional screw or push in visible clip if the hidden clips just don’t hold ..

To a certain extent I think you are right however there are techniques when carpeting that I would discourage anybody from carrying out.
We had one van in last year that had what looked like a nice tidy lining job done by professionals where they had screwed 6mm jigsawed ply panels direct to the metal work and carpeted straight over the top of it with no soundproofing or insulation installed. Our customer wanted us to de-line the van in order to soundproof, insulate and run cables then re line the van with removable panels. What we found was that in order to achieve a nice smooth looking finish around the panels the origonal converter had smeared copious amounts of bodyfiller all around them which we had to laboriously chip off and sand back then paint the exposed metal work.
So as you can see there are certain techniques that should be avoided. Personally we would never ever line a van without removable panels.
Hi just been reading your post, I too want to improve the sound deadening and insulation so I’ll be removing the panels, luckily they are removable, im also considering recarpeting, is this a total nightmare I.e. will I need to remove all existing glue residue or is it possible to just rip existing lining from panel and reline directly over the panels? Any advice really appreciated.
cheers.

Hi just been reading your post, I too want to improve the sound deadening and insulation so I’ll be removing the panels, luckily they are removable, im also considering recarpeting, is this a total nightmare I.e. will I need to remove all existing glue residue or is it possible to just rip existing lining from panel and reline directly over the panels? Any advice really appreciated.
cheers.

definitely best to remove as much residue as possible but this is a big job! you will need a tin of 3m adhesive cleaner a lot of time and a lot of motivation to do this properly!

My bus has been lined. However whoever carpeted her, carpeted over the panels. I can feel them and trace the edge and also the popper fixings. I’d really like to have it with accessible panels, but cutting the carpet leaves me a dilemma. How to do it so the spaces between have sufficient carpet to leave as is without much Trimming and cut enough so i can get the panels off. I've been putting it off.

I’m interested in the 3 piece zip connected birch ply floor. Are these available for supply only?

Hello @slidepods - do you do the cnc'd floor for lwb and floor rails? might be the best solution for me otherwise im prob going to have to buy a real vw floor - cant source one here in switzerland.. how much for delivery? i managed to get my solar panel sent here so it must be possible :)

Hi @scotia I'm afraid we are currently rushed off our feet and to busy to accommodate small jobs like this as sorting out logistics etc just takes up loads of our time.

Hi @scotia I'm afraid we are currently rushed off our feet and to busy to accommodate small jobs like this as sorting out logistics etc just takes up loads of our time.
ok no problems - i can sort out the logistics from distance - i was just wondering if it was possible? ie do you have the lwb floor plan with the cut outs for the rails? thanks in advance. im not in a rush really as i havent sourced the rails yet..

I even have a mate in the UK who could transport it to me..covid permitting etc..

@scotia - I'm picking a 12mm pre cut floor up (and carpeted panels) from this chap tomorrow. Will let you know how they turn out. Seems a sound fella, based in Carlisle.
ok thanks i may give him a shout and see if he could make me up a floor.. i dont know what a real vw one would cost..

If it's Reimo rails, I think the rails are fitted first and then the floor goes in around them. This would mean that the floor would be in a few pieces, so getting it to fit, and shipped, may be easier??

Well finally had time to make a start on some of the lining

Still some bits to finish of but it’s taking shape,

slight problem I’ve misplaced my rear seat belt factory panels so I’m a bit stuck at the moment looking for some more

going to cut some templates for the top part of the quarter panel and fit those next

View attachment 56831

View attachment 56832

View attachment 56833

View attachment 56834
Just wondering what thickness ply you used for the shapes on the panels please? are they prominent enough? Thank you

Back