[Guide] Fitting door mirror repair mounting

catfood12

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Following on from this incident;
mirror1.jpg

Then this thread;

I bought a couple of the brackets from the 'Bay...

new mirror parts.jpg

Fitting requires full mirror removal and dismantling. My temporary fix holding up well...

20200515_153648_resized.jpg

Dismantled, after getting the spring compressed and the circlip off. Old v. new..

20200515_153930_resized.jpg

We changed a few of those brackets at work, the first one was a learning exercise, but then one of the guys got the knack for it so we let him change them.

From memory these items made it easier -

I spent 10 minutes trying to dismantle the mirror multiplug, ended up butchering it, still didn't get the pins out. Just cut, resoldered the wires with heatshrink..

20200516_095816_resized.jpg

This is my make anything look neat with loads of heatshrink box;

20200516_113845_resized.jpg

Hi guys,
I've Just replaced my T6 drivers mirror, with a new mirror body from VW (£155 inc) and swapped all the additional bits over from the broken one
I did however ,as a back- up buy the replacement Aluminium knuckle joint from Travelling Lite . So now I have a spare complete mirror for future use.Living in the South Hams is proper nice but not very mirror friendly!

I've posted a few snaps to show my home made spring compressor to replace the broken shaft. It comprises of a bath tap spanner and a Sash cramp.

Does anyone else have an easier method??

20200625_105533.jpg

20200625_105126.jpg

20200625_105114.jpg

20200625_104722.jpg

Hi guys,
I've Just replaced my T6 drivers mirror, with a new mirror body from VW (£155 inc) and swapped all the additional bits over from the broken one
I did however ,as a back- up buy the replacement Aluminium knuckle joint from Travelling Lite . So now I have a spare complete mirror for future use.Living in the South Hams is proper nice but not very mirror friendly!

I've posted a few snaps to show my home made spring compressor to replace the broken shaft. It comprises of a bath tap spanner and a Sash cramp.

View attachment 75107

View attachment 75108

View attachment 75109

View attachment 75110
I completed mine over the weekend and in the end...I just put my back into it :)..I used a large spanner to compress the spring while my faithful other half pushed in the clip. Unfortunately, I had to do it twice because I sat the black plastic base into the wrong area of the Aluminum joint. It was around a 3hr job for me all in...I was completely new to this. I only needed to buy the Aluminum joint, I bought two just in case, (mirror and housing as fine). Was a good DIY project in the end...and saved a few ££. Photos from this forum was invaluable! Thanks to all who contribute!

I completed mine over the weekend and in the end...I just put my back into it :)..I used a large spanner to compress the spring while my faithful other half pushed in the clip. Unfortunately, I had to do it twice because I sat the black plastic base into the wrong area of the Aluminum joint. It was around a 3hr job for me all in...I was completely new to this. I only needed to buy the Aluminum joint, I bought two just in case, (mirror and housing as fine). Was a good DIY project in the end...and saved a few ££. Photos from this forum was invaluable! Thanks to all who contribute!
Reference the photos, Invaluable! This Forum has already saved me £180 (VW quote for 1.5 hours work!)
As for the spanner, my largest spanner didnt fit, and on those lines I was experimenting with a large socket to lip over the spring washer!, Again I didn't have anything large enough. It looks like a 25 to 28 millimetre ?
Took me a relaxed 2.5 hours, most of which was consumed searching the garage for a the suitable tools.

Replaced drivers side bracket last month. You dont need to cut cables because you can pull them out. Heating and motor going one way and DAB, GPS going other way. It is possible

Hi guys,

View attachment 75107

View attachment 75108

View attachment 75109

View attachment 75110
I got mine from Travelling Lite too (via eBay - £7) which saved me hundreds on what I was quoted! I was so impressed I rang Travelling Lite to thank them for saving me a small fortune! The lady in the office was obviously more used to receiving complaints judging from how shocked she was to receive a positive message!!!

Reactions: CAB
Received my brackets from TravellinLite, after checking them realised that they are bit different. So i compared and chose one that looks like my old one. Other one had holes in different places. As you see on picture i pulled all aerials first, then took picture on other cable routing ( Heating and motor) then i pulled them out different direction. When assembling- heating and motor first, then all aerials. I still dont get it - why VW keeps so much in drivers mirror? First part that gets smashed on van is- drivers mirror.Pictures will help others

IMG_8299.JPG

IMG_8303.JPG

IMG_8304.JPG

Reactions: CAB
Are you able to replace the bracket on the power folding version? i can’t see a way of splitting them.

DB29EFD8-1223-44D9-A8C0-2C6A9A9FF82E.jpeg

Thank you to @catfood12 & @Gintoldas for the excellent guides in this thread.

I broke the aluminium inner core of my driver side wing mirror reversing past a gate when the wind caught the gate.

I bought the £7 replacement off eBay and spent 2hrs reading the guides and carefully dismantling and reassembly on my kitchen table. All now fixed.

Top tips:
I compressed the spring using plumbing grips to get it off, once off it's easy to compress with fingers and clamp down using three cable ties that you can snip off once assembled.

2nd tip: make sure you have enough slack on the cable for the heater and mirror adjustment. I didn't and had to dismantle and reassemble... FFS!

Cheap fix and cheaper than paying a garage.

IMG_20220105_111109_Bokeh-01.jpegIMG_20220105_123335_Bokeh-01.jpegIMG_20220105_123425-01.jpegIMG_20220105_124507-01.jpegIMG_20220105_140229_Bokeh-01.jpegIMG_20220105_140220_Bokeh-01.jpeg

Is it possible to take the electrics out without cutting anything ? surely VW would not have crimped all this in once the boss was in position.

Is it possible to take the electrics out without cutting anything ? surely VW would not have crimped all this in once the boss was in position.
Yes, you can do it without cutting them, disconnect all of them and start smallest ones. Some of them will pull one way, some other way. I done it on my van

Back