GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Black vs Light

ehuplad

T6 Pro
Hi All,

The detailer I am looking to use (registered with GTECHNIQ) is recommending I go with the light version of the Serum. He does not see any real world benefit in using the black especially as he would expect the EXO coating to be reapplied every 1-2 year (once the beading stops).

What are your opinions on this is it:
A) Seems like fair advice, ok do that or
B) He is just after an easier job, as you have to be much more careful with the Black.

In addition do I really want to ask him to use the Black if he is actually not that comfortable in doing it?

Any thoughts welcome.

I had a quote for doing this from tom , ultimate auto car detailing Worcester here is what he put, he would need the van for 5 days
The other option is Gtechniq crystal serum light topped with exo. Durability is better on this option at around 3-5 years Price £595
Studley glass has had the lights down exo and few others on here aswell

Yes as Andy says i have mine fully coated from new. All seems good bodywork is still very nice, it will be back at the Toms soon for a top up when i have fitted the sportline front end

Yes as Andy says i have mine fully coated from new. All seems good bodywork is still very nice, it will be back at the Toms soon for a top up when i have fitted the sportline front end
Hi m8 tom said 3-5 years for re application but @ehuplad his dealers has said every 1-2 years sounds strange

Tom recommends topping up the coating with Gtechniq EXO, keeps it beading nice. He said i could drop it in any time or just do it myself every few washes. dont think its a must if you have had the full works coating, just a extra.

Tom recommends topping up the coating with Gtechniq EXO, keeps it beading nice. He said i could drop it in any time or just do it myself every few washes. dont think its a must if you have had the full works coating, just a extra.
See I still havnt had it done was waiting for Hilo to be fitted end of Feb Hilo is done it's now nearly end of April and I've decided I want ppf now due to couple of incedents leaving in busy car parks :mad: then gtechniq

@ehuplad Sadly Tom at Worcester, who from other posts does a great job, is a bit distant from you. Hope you eventually find a good service. Have you tried the Coating manufacturer to see who is available around you so that you can get a second opinion ?

Morning All,

The guy(s) I was talking to are GTECHNIQ accredited detailers. The 1-2 years was on the EXO top coat not the base serum.
I just didn't get the best vibe and would expect to have been told they are both good and been then given the pro's and cons for Black vs Light.

@T6 Dave's Dad I did start at GTECHNIQ's website, put in my post code and it only gave one option.
However yesterday I went back and just looked at the map and did not bother with post code, turns out there is another close by and intact less than 5 miles from my dealer.
I rang the new guys, very professional and I have booked in with these. They are more expensive but I have the confidence to let them have my van for 5 days.

Summary of my Black vs Light decision.
The details asked: Do I do high mileage? Do I intend to keep the van for a long time? As the answer to both was yes he suggested the Black.
Seems sensible so Black it is as I do quite high miles and cos of all the options I have spec'd I intend to keep for a good while.

So Black Serum, 2 Coats of EXO, Glass Protection, Wheel Rims and Leather all being treated.

Last edited:
@ehuplad Glad you found somewhere that gives you good vibes and confidence to do the job that you want done :thumbsup:. Please post before and after photos and your feelings about the work done :). If you are satisfied and are prepared to recommend them then that will help others in your area or who are prepared to travel that bit further to get a good job done :cool:.

I applied the Crystal Serum Light topped with Exo.
The problem with the exo I used v2 it waterspouts very easily. I only applied one coat of exo and I'll apply the 2nd coat in the summer as I did all this in the winter.

I have bought csl and exo v3 for my car.

So far I have put around 7k miles on the gtechniq stuff. Along with the c5 wheel armor. It's holding up the same as the day I applied it. Tar still sticks to the van and bugs but it's very easy to clean.

I only give it a bilt hamber snowfoam bath once a week and that gets in 90% clean.

The beast is is having a week long sleep over at the friendly detailer.
Will let everyone know the details after I collect it, don't like publishing where the van is real time.

The polish has been completed and the CSB and EXO will go on over the next two days.

Front Polished.jpg

IMG_8191.jpg

The rear of the beast has also been de-badged.

Debadged.jpg

Very cool, cant wait to hear about the final finish. It sounds superb. :thumbsup:

I've recently bought a DIY kit from Hybrid X, who do a lot of work on motorcycle forums. It's for my new T6 when it arrives inbtjr next couple of weeks.

I haven't a clue whether the HybridX actually performs the same role, or which product is better. It seems they both deliver a superb finish.

None of this stuff is cheap though is it :(

Linky to Hybridx

I picked up the Beast on Saturday, WOW.
See below pics.

Its super shiny and feels exceedingly smooth.
Treatment was done by Mobile Car Valet | Edinburgh | Mint Car Care in Edinburgh.
Kenny and Co did a fantastic job and were very professional and helpful throughout.

The package included:
New car detail
Single stage polish
Crystal Serum Black
2 coats of Exo
Alloy rims coating
Seat treatment
Windscreen & glass coating
PPF fitted on rear bumper and door handle cups

If you look at a panel very carefully, in the right light you can see a slight mottled effect on the paint work. Updated - I checked out a friends T6 and the slight mottled effect was on his untreated paint, so nothing to do with the coating.
Anyway it looks awesome.

One thing to mention is that to get the 7 year guarantee you must take it to a Gtechniq agent every 12 months for an inspection.
By inspection I read an opportunity to sell to me but I am happy to go and see the Mint Car Care guys and let them see how things are fairing.

PP1.jpg

IMG_8208.jpg

Last edited:
Back