Glovebox and vents on order.

It looks better than I expected ,I thought that would be the line to cut along ,it doesn't look like it needs anything doing across the bottom .well done ,I know it's going to be a right job .But I can't wait to get cutting .
Thanks fella. I managed to cut the edge but leave what was behind it. And the hot glued the outer to the inner. All cutting was done by hand so nice and steady.

I tip my hat to you @BiTurbo , some skill, patience and balls to cut up your dash, looks superb and definitely worth your efforts :thumbsup:

Thanks fella, I'm on the beer now....... I did get what the hell are you doing from the wife mid afternoon...
I'm happy and relieved.

@Pauly I found this photo hope it helps
It's a square one ,rather than oblong

View attachment 2113

I do fancy doing thats as one of my first jobs, having a single passenger seat i think it will work well and great to have a usb point and somewhere to put me phone.

If you can put a package of parts for this together are be interested @Pauly and the glove box mod.

Not sure i would have the bottle to start cutting up the dash. But fair play. Looks good.

I have already got the part numbers/package together its just the usb part i need to finalise, the main factor is going to be adding a usb and keeping the original one as this will require an additional usb interface module to take the one usb connector on the back of the stereo and split it two ways, i need to get a price for this interface and the additional usb connectors.
Its worth noting that if you do both mods and want both the additional usb connectors that are concealed inside compartments you would have to sacrifice the original one on the front of the dash although it wouldnt be to hard to wire a supply to it and just make it a dumb usb socket for charging only or alternatively make one of the new ones a charge only socket and keep the original one for full connectivity ??

Im there tomorrow ordering parts so will hopefully find out exactly whats what

Yes i think the i would be happy with full connectivity in the gear stick cupboard as this is where i would put my phone so it will be easy to connect it there and have no wires floating around.
As for the other two maybe if they just charging that would be fine.

Made a bit of progress on the USBs today, i have sorted the sockets, the usb interface and the link cables that go in between them, there is a couple of wires to swap around to get it working but it all seems to add up
Price for all the bits including VAT is coming in a bit over £200 to add both additional usb sockets in place of the factory dash connection
I havent looked inside my dash to see how long the existing cable setup is but im thinking it would be easy to just buy the glovebox socket and swap wires from dash unit into glovebox one if thats all people want to do would be pretty cheap
Heres a couple pics of the dash socket and cables that need to be moved around, to do the full setup the two wires on the edge of the green plug (purple and black) will need to be removed and connected to usb interface instead
IMG_2919.JPG IMG_2921.JPG IMG_2923.JPG

Apart from charging, what do you use a USB port for?
We Bluetooth most of our music off Spotify playlists.
Only time we use a USB is a stick with music on it but now we are Spotify, we hardly use even that.

You can plug the VW USB sim card dongle into it for carnet and creating wifi hotspot in van (handy for kids phones/ipads and stuff)

You can plug the VW USB sim card dongle into it for carnet and creating wifi hotspot in van (handy for kids phones/ipads and stuff)
Okay sounds potentially handy. But our kids don't (and won't) have phones or iPads for a loooong time yet. :whistle:

Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned...?!

Last edited:
I will want to do this mod with the extra console round the gear change, will i be able to have the usb connectivity like shown in this picture, do you think the cable will be there to connect to the console @Pauly ?
gear storage area.jpg

Thinking about it i dont think that will work on mine as i have rear heating controls are there ! :unsure:
t6 dash.jpg

I just got a Three MIFI Device and paired it up to the nav unit and in car 4G. Worked out cheers than adding more data to my EE contract also has the benefit of have ing a fall back network.

Thinking about it i dont think that will work on mine as i have rear heating controls are there ! :unsure:
View attachment 2168

I have the same problem, but its a nice problem to have.

Some of the usb bits turned up today, have 2 of the 3 variations of usb socket, still waiting for the larger size one without the aux in socket these are the glovebox options and the smaller square one is the centre console option
Big box is the usb hub/adapter just need the mounting bracket for it now
Question is now who is going to be the guinea pig and try it out as i am a long way off doing anything to my dash

IMG_2940.JPG

Some of the usb bits turned up today, have 2 of the 3 variations of usb socket, still waiting for the larger size one without the aux in socket these are the glovebox options and the smaller square one is the centre console option
Big box is the usb hub/adapter just need the mounting bracket for it now
Question is now who is going to be the guinea pig and try it out as i am a long way off doing anything to my dash

View attachment 2200
Do you think this will be plug and play @Pauly ?
Any idea why the USB spliter has different colour connector 's

Are you getting the leads aswell

I need to be clear that i havent done this but every bit i have done so far (rear LEDs/rear camera) has worked fine so im confident it will work but cant be 100% certain at this time

The coloured plugs indicate which connection goes where ie stereo input/glove or compartment output
I can get the leads but they are the most expensive bit so havent ordered them yet as wanting to lay eyes on these parts first

Refering to my picture further up the page the two power wires have to be removed from the original green connector coming out of the dash this green plug then goes into the box, two extra wires (supplied) will then go from usb box to the two usb outlets
The two power wires that were removed along with a 12 volt feed (source to be confirmed) then have to be connected to the plug in the picture below and plugged into the usb box to power it

? Sound easy ? i think it is and pretty sure it will work fine but the proof is in the pudding as they say, there is a chance it will need coding but i dont see why ATM i will have a play with VCDS over the weekend if i get a chance and see if there is an option for 2 USBs but i dont think there is

IMG_2973.JPG

Back