Gloss Black Transporter Letters (in italic) ?

spenny_b

VIP Member
Evening folks,

New van has gloss black VW main badge but the "Transporter" badge is factory chrome. I can see numerous vendors selling matt and gloss black Transporter badges but they all look to be non-italicized, presumably from T5 gen? My 6.1 appears to have a very slight italic to it...so, being the pedantic git that I am, I'm after the exact same script but in gloss black.

Anyone know if these are available from somewhere? (have already trawled eBay). Not interested in removing mine, painting and re-applying, they never go on straight and/or spaced correctly unless they use an OEM style holding "frame" for application.

[gratuitous pic of van....albeit dirty after a wet weekend at Donington for the BSB]

IMG_7280.jpg

Or I may just remove the badge completely....

S

Thanks Wavey, but yep I've seen those badges from Van Style but they're not the same as the font used on my van (look at the "S" for example)....

IMG_7294 2.jpg
IMG_7296.jpg
Appreciate I'm being pedantic, but having spent my apprenticeship and early career dealing with print and fonts......

Following with interest as I'm after the same and yet to find a T6.1 specific font

you could always take off your existing lettering and spray them? Would need a good rub down and primer first but should work.

Yep then there's the ballache of reapplying 3M tape to each letter....easier would be to buy a new badge from VW and spray that, but as I mentioned in the first post, it's a case of getting alignment and spacing correct. All do-able given time and patience, but I've got a million and one car and bike projects that I need to crack on with...was just after a quick source to buy badge, spend an hour or so removing old, cleaning up and refitting new.

You know what, I've never used AliExpress, and for some reason it never occurs to me to search them, thank you.

Believe me, I have been searching for a number of weeks, I guess we used different search terms (not that you were implying I was being a lazy arse, of course)

Just reporting back on this mini project. The black badge arrived from China a good few weeks ago now, and I have to be honest looks exactly OEM quality. The only difference, weirdly, is that the letters are ever-so-slightly smaller than the OE chrome ones. Certainly you'd never notice once installed, it's only when side by side with the originals and measuring them, that you'll see about a 1mm difference.

The other point to note is that they fold the backing paper into three sections to get it into a small envelope, I guess for cheaper shipping. So it will arrive all bent up, and with some of the letters not aligned well enough to just slap it on. So, my trick was to cover a 1ft steel rule in masking tape and stick it under the original letters to act as a ledge for when i came to stick on the new ones. Wrapping in tape prevented any scratches on the paintwork but also then allowed me to mark with a pencil the precise locations of each OE letter before removing.

But....it wasn't quite as simple as removing the chrome letters with fishing chord and replacing. Despite this being a brand new van, there was marring of the paintwork from the chrome letters. Very odd, but that meant a session with my new Carbon Collective Nano Polisher (any excuse), then replace the steel rule, then carefully stick the new black letters on, one-by-one, aligning to the pencil marks.

So, overall a double thumbs up, for £12 with the shipping and an hour or two being careful and tinkering, it looks bang on what I was hoping for and certainly less faffage than respraying originals. If anyone's interested then I'll post a pic once the vans clean again (weekend).

(tagging @PaulR83 )

Back