Getting underneath the van…

moodsterT6

T6 Caravelle - Day Van - Occasional Camper
T6 Pro
Hi,

I need to do a temporary repair on the engine bay under tray on my Caravelle. It’s partly hanging down. I guess it will need a new one but we are due to go on holiday.

If I use these to raise the front of the van up so I can get underneath is there anything I need to check for safety etc? I’ll choc the rear wheels.

Cheers.

Do you mean check for safety with the under tray hanging off or check for safety with it being up on the ramps?

I had some similar ramps, rated plenty for the van, and one of them decided it had had enough and bent down on itself. Luckily I wasn’t under there at the time.

I still use the ramps after straightening it out with a press and then welding in some fairly serious reinforcement, but also a good idea just to chuck a block of wood inside them or something so that the van cannot get back to the floor.

Or add some axle stands once it is up in the air but you’ll need pretty long ones, the ramps might be in the way, and a block of wood is much easier.

Heavy beast the transporter. I don’t like to be under it!
However I use the ramp and 2 hydraulic jack in case the ramp fails, and axle stand in case the jack fails:)

I have VB Air, so set it to max height, then drive up some levelling ramps. A couple of axle stands (& maybe my jack) placed as a precaution and there is just enough room to get underneath. I’m planning an oil & filter change tomorrow, so will have to remove my undertray for that.

Can you take some pics as you do it and post a “how to” thread on an oil and filter change?

I’ve used those things to get enough height for water tank removal and hose repair. I had to use cut up builders siteboards to protect the old york stone paving at our place plus two pieces of scaffold board to raise it up four inches more on one side as we have a bit of slope. I’d also welded a bit of extra strength in the ramps for peace of mind. I agree it’s a bit heart in mouth getting the van up but once there safely it was very solid.

As suggested, use extra safety precautions once on the ramps.

And don’t make the mistake I did: I tried to use only one to get one side a bit up. I now know they are much weaker sideways than top down. Although the model I had was different I think the same could hold for any such ramp.

Last edited:
You may have problems getting the van up on regular ramps if it has been lowered in any way.
I had to make some ramps out of three railway sleepers bolted together and cut on a diagonal so the approach angle was gentle enough to clear the front splitter.

So where do you all place the axle stands? Pictures would be good.

So where do you all place the axle stands? Pictures would be good.

Specifically, this post earlier in same thread shows good points in subframe, marked by red circles, that can be used for jacking even when engine undertray is still in place:

Thanks all for your responses, much appreciated. I’m going to see if the Fiamma level ramps I have for the caravan get the van high enough up to make the temp repair. I didn’t think to l try that and I already have those to hand! Thanks @Ozi for the idea.

Cheers.

Old thread, but I see you’re still on the forum - How did you get on with the levelling ramps @moodsterT6 ?

Old thread, but I see you’re still on the forum - How did you get on with the levelling ramps @moodsterT6 ?
Hi, I did use the ramps yes. I wouldn’t say I was confident though as although they claim to support the weight of the van they are still plastic. Personally I’d recommend proper load rated ramps or jacked up then Axel stands. Cheers.

Reactions: CJW
No lifting appliance or lifting accessory is designed for shock loading so while it’s important to have more than one means of support it’s also important that both are loaded.
example; if you use a jack to lift the van and then have an axle stand as backup but not fitted tight it could be shock loaded if the jack fails rapidly.
Never rely solely on a jack.

Back