Generation Six Wheel Hub Caps.

WhiskyDisco

Hello chaps,

We have scratched one of our alloys - not a big deal as we can get our local wheel refurbisher to repair the damage and give a nice powder coated finish.

The problem is that the disc has also been scratched. Does anyone know if this can be repaired, or know of a place to buy a replacement inexpensively...?

My wife has put a call into VW for a price, but I'm worried that a) it will be expensive or b) that one won't be available!

The wheels actually drive me nuts - they never stay clean for long, being impossible to clean properly behind the discs. Should I just replace the 4 with some after market wheels??

Cheers, Stuart

Hello chaps,

We have scratched one of our alloys - not a big deal as we can get our local wheel refurbisher to repair the damage and give a nice powder coated finish.

The problem is that the disc has also been scratched. Does anyone know if this can be repaired, or know of a place to buy a replacement inexpensively...?

My wife has put a call into VW for a price, but I'm worried that a) it will be expensive or b) that one won't be available!

The wheels actually drive me nuts - they never stay clean for long, being impossible to clean properly behind the discs. Should I just replace the 4 with some after market wheels??

Cheers, Stuart
Yes, and give me your old ones :thumbsup: have you tried a good chrome cleaner, it may help.

I have same issue with my gloss black wheels - starting to think matt is the way forward ha

I was reading this thread VW 18-inch Steel Wheels and think the steel wheels looks really good. They are also cheap, so perfect for town / winter driving. Less likely to cause marital problems when they get curbed.

What do forum members think they will look like on my Gen Six?

Should I have them banded, or standard? I believe that the original wheels are 18 8.5J but these steels are 18 8J. I'm a novice in this regard, is the 8J bit the width of the rim?

Also, should I take the tyres off the original tyres or buy new?

Finally, does anyone have alternative ideas for replacement alloys / steels? The discs are a bit of a pain to clean so maybe a set of replacements is the way to go.

Ouch indeed, I think that's more of a scrape !! yes I was thinking of polishing out but im guessing the top layer of chrome will have gone.

Yes, ouch indeed. My ears are still ringing after receiving SWMBO's angry reply to my question about whether she saw the curb or not.
My wife would have been mortified if she had done that, she would have been totally gutted. She takes a pride in her car. If I did that to hers I'd never be allowed to drive it again. Sorry but I don't think your wife should be allowed to drive a car if she hits a kerb lik e that

My wife would have been mortified if she had done that, she would have been totally gutted. She takes a pride in her car. If I did that to hers I'd never be allowed to drive it again. Sorry but I don't think your wife should be allowed to drive a car if she hits a kerb lik e that
Unless you want a beer then its mandatory for them to drive :rofl:

To be fair the missus is gutted. She went to our back street guy to get the alloy repaired, but VW want £146 for a replacement disc!!!

We are going to have to live with the damage for now and keep an eye out for a salvaged disc - yeah, like that will ever crop up on eBay...

I would like a life where these little incidents happen but they are so insignificant that we can but laugh about them over a glass of wine.

Stu

I have same issue with my gloss black wheels - starting to think matt is the way forward ha

Take it from a person that's had Gloss, Matt, and Satin Black wheels, they are all as bad as each other for brake dust! I actually think Black is worse than a standard Silver for looking filthy. (I still love the look of a Black wheel though)
My kingdom for a set of pads that guarantee not to shed brake dust constantly.

I was reading this thread VW 18-inch Steel Wheels and think the steel wheels looks really good. They are also cheap, so perfect for town / winter driving. Less likely to cause marital problems when they get curbed.

What do forum members think they will look like on my Gen Six?

Should I have them banded, or standard? I believe that the original wheels are 18 8.5J but these steels are 18 8J. I'm a novice in this regard, is the 8J bit the width of the rim?

Also, should I take the tyres off the original tyres or buy new?

Finally, does anyone have alternative ideas for replacement alloys / steels? The discs are a bit of a pain to clean so maybe a set of replacements is the way to go.

PM me if you want to sell your original wheels as they are..

Back